• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photo Shop file...anyone able to open this?

Val47

That looks pretty darn good! I can fix this up, thank you!!!

Actually, you should tack on a charge as if you had sent it out. ;)

..you didn't ask Boudica to do that, she just did it. But it was pretty messy, Not sure what you need to do with it but .. yah, working with it may or may not be a chore. I've learned a lot over the years, coming up with work-arounds for another "designers" mess. So I can produce their artwork.

Hah, just did it yesterday... with concerning a cut path file I specifically asked to be left out. anyway... another story. oh, I'll think I'll post my fix in a new thread.

so much, I have learned...

so I'm happy to help my friends.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Stacey K said:
Is anyone able to open this in Photoshop and tell me if it's vector or A BITMAP? I'm pretty sure I'm not that stupid but can handle your opinion if I'm wrong. Thank you! I think this link should work from my OneDrive.

Just to double check something, I opened the PSD file you shared. Sure enough, it's nothing but a pixel-based image. And the graphic looks like it was pasted in from another source above the Background layer. The layer with the graphic is named "IMG_5152," which is a pretty odd name for a Photoshop layer.

Just to be sure, I clicked over from the Layers palette to the Paths palette to see if there was anything there. Nope. No vector paths.

The Vector Doctor said:
Actually you can do vector work in Photoshop. Not ideal but the pen tool in Photoshop produces vector lines. I use it all the time to knock out backgrounds and also have a contour path that can be exported as a true vector

I actually prefer the Pen tool in Photoshop to the Pen tool in Adobe Illustrator. It just seems more responsive. I love the combination of keyboard shortcuts to alter the path while it is being drawn combined with the shortcuts to zoom in/out and hand-pan across the view of the artwork. Illustrator's keyboard shortcuts work in a similar manner. But the relationship of the paths over the top of pixels just seems to draw out faster and more precise in Photoshop.

If I have some kind of hand-drawn sketch I've scanned or brought over from an iPad application I can work pretty fast with Photoshop's pen tool to manually vectorize it. But this approach is best on "organic" material, not anything with a lot of straight, technical looking paths. For more technical looking material, I'll defer to Illustrator.

In Adobe Illustrator I've drifted away from using the stock Pen tool to using Astute Graphics' InkScribe tool. That's a pen tool on steroids. It's perfect for a lot of technical work and has some nifty additional behaviors not found in the standard Pen tool. One example: the Alt key can be used to constrain the existing angle on smooth point direction handles without shifting it to a 45 or 90 degree angles. That can be really handy for things like type design. One can hover the InkScribe tool over any existing anchor points or direction handles on the path and alter them without using keyboard shortcuts. And then if keyboard shortcuts are needed the Astute Buddy palette will display them. It's pretty cool.

CalverleyDesign

President - The Calverley Group
Is anyone able to open this in Photoshop and tell me if it's vector or A BITMAP? I'm pretty sure I'm not that stupid but can handle your opinion if I'm wrong. Thank you! I think this link should work from my OneDrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiSq7u0QmhfpgZ460eKRwbHfjD6wIQ?e=aRcI2Y
Usually if you are opening a file in Photoshop it is a bitmap. You can open some vector files in photoshop (vector .pdf, .ai, .eps) - but once you open can tell right away if it was a vector file) -

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's actually two cliparts put together. I have used the foot one on a boat name and the lighthouse wave one on another job.
Are you serious? I did a quick look online thinking that same thing but didn't find either one. So, they didn't "Create" this, they copy and pasted clipart found online! Is this what you are saying? Unreal

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Are you serious? I did a quick look online thinking that same thing but didn't find either one. So, they didn't "Create" this, they copy and pasted clipart found online! Is this what you are saying? Unreal
That's what I think they did.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of course that's what they did. They might've paid for it, but they didn't create it. In fact, while looking around on there, I think I found one an old customer gave me about 25 years ago of a boat. Can't remember for sure, but it hit me right between the eyes. I had hand-painted it, but it still looks like the picture they gave me. Back then, it was called clipart and you bought t from an agency. My, haven't we come a long way........... ??

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
One example: the Alt key can be used to constrain the existing angle on smooth point direction handles without shifting it to a 45 or 90 degree angles.

I have never tried their plugins but find this sentence odd. I have no problem adjusting/changing angles of beziers as I am tracing curves using the default pen tool in Illustrator

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The Vector Doctor said:
I have never tried their plugins but find this sentence odd. I have no problem adjusting/changing angles of beziers as I am tracing curves using the default pen tool in Illustrator

Illustrator's standard pen tool works just fine in adjusting bezier handles while you're laying down a new path. It's kind of hard to describe some of the added things the InkScribe tool can do above the stock pen tool. If I'm drawing out a path and want to go back and adjust one of the direction handles of an existing smooth anchor point I can adjust the length of one direction handle without changing the existing angle of both direction handles and without affecting the position of the opposing direction handle. This works even if the direction handles are on an odd angle axis. I can't do that with the stock pen tool. Either both direction handles will move or the angle will change (unless it's at 0°, 45° or 90°). The InkScribe tool takes a little getting used to at first, but it's pretty fun to use.

Val47

Creating, or adjusting/manipulating paths is all part of knowing how to do, what you need to do with your given or chosen software tools. It's about being a good designer, as much as knowing how to use the tools, If not more the latter.
A lot of this job is not just creating, it's knowing how to deal with other's "creations" - within your given or chosen capacities.

If you don't have what you want, a good survival skill is to work with what you've got. A great skill, is to adapt, and figure out how to make the best of what you've got to work with, make it better - and figure out how to get better material/tools to work with.