Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please convert all fonts when creating your pdf's

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by myront, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:11 PM.

1. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    When I see that, I do get leary about just how on the up and up it is. Deep slashes on new stuff, I do get leary. What's the catch type of thing.

2. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    There is no catch to those introductory discounts at MyFonts. They're legal and usually directed by the type foundry releasing the new type family in order to juice its popularity. Other sites like FontShop and Fonts.com do the same thing with many new foundry releases. Sometimes if the discount deal expires at one online fonts store it might still be active on another site.

• Like Like x 1
  3. burgmurk

burgmurk Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Auckland, New Zealand
    What a lot of BS. that hasn't really been a problem since the 90s, if you know your software.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  4. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Good luck getting designers to follow your instructions.
    Best to just learn to deal with whatever comes in unless the art really is unusable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Most graphic designers are not familiar with the production requirements of sign making. Add to that, many designers are either reluctant or, due to policy, cannot release their source files. Most competent design firms will sell their client the required licensing, and are generally willing to provide the requested art files (for a fee, of course).

I seldom have problems with designers. It is business owners, or their staff, that present challenges. Many are unwilling to disclose who did their design, for fear of either licensing infraction or being charged a fee (both for additional licensing and file conversion). History has taught them that sign companies will convert their file for free, and generally without the knowledge of the original designer and rights holder.

I will convert a file, but with a disclaimer that my work cannot be used for any un-licensed or illegal purpose. I also charge appropriately.

6. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    late to the party, but its SUPER EASYto convert fonts in .pdf. I have even setup an actions-toolset in acrobat pro, so all i have to do is click a button and decide what I want new file to be named.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Learn to use your Adobe software. You can easily flatten transparencies or outline fonts in a PDF with Illustrator or Acrobat. I don't know why you would pester your clients and their designers for something you can easily do yourself in under a minute.

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    "i sent you a hi-res pdf. i don't understand why you are having a problem." mostly get that from brokers/sales people but even better when you get that from a file sent by a designer????????????? wth