• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please hel a newbeee

Pachacutec70

Hello, as I said in my introduction, I am in the Minilab business and I am researching about this business, my idea is to distribute used Solvent Inkjet printers in Peru. In the introduvtion I asked some questions which had no answer maybe because it eas in the wrong section.
One of my questions is, what are the main differences between Chinesse equipment, let´s say Infinity and american equipment let´s say Mimaki.-
Why Chinesse equpment is so cheap and why most of you do not use chinesse equipment.
I want to sell in Peru American used equipment, for almost the same price of new Chinesse equipment and I need to give my potential customers some good reasons why buying used Mimaki will be better than buying new Infinity.
Another ver newbee question I got, and I know many of you will smile, is that I read a los that you use RIP, for me it looks like a sotware, exactly what RIP ?? What does RIP stands for??
Thanks.

Vinylman

Selling Equipment in Peru

Pachacutec70:

Please DO NOT be offended by my following comments.:Welcome:

I am reading your post here asking some VERY simplistic questions about a VERY complex area of reselling used equipment.
The area of digital printing equipment is broad, and deep.

You seem to be like a child standing on the shore of a large ocean, wondering if you could walk across with a little help.

The answer is YES, if you have the right equipment, the right help. and a great deal of patience.

I have been in the graphics industry for over 28 years, and learn something almost every day.

I have spent over 18 MONTHS looking at digital printers trying to make an informed decision about buying ONE piece of equipment for my business.

You come here asking how to get into a business you seem to know nothing about, and want to sell these used printers without having any idea about what a RIP is?

This reminds me of many of the questions that "nuebs" ask on this and other forums about "how do I put the key in the front door, so I can start a sign business?"

There are many many questions, and more answers that you, or anyone for that matter, should be asking someone from a Business College about putting together a SOLID business plan. BEFORE you just jump into trying your hand at what is an already complex and crowded business.

We all can be tempted to look at the sometimes large amounts of money that are available in certain businesses, and make a fatal assumption that we could do that also.

Many fail to realize that to be successful you generally need a degree of luck, sprinkled with money enough to survive the lean times, and salted with the wisdom of knowing when NOT to proceed.

I hope you succeed.

But odds are you will go down in flames {45-65% of new business' fail}, and in doing so, perhaps undermine the livelihood of those who are already finding it difficult to make a decent living doing what they have spent a lifetime learning to do professionally.

Regards, Bob C.

Pachacutec70

Mr. Bob, I am not offended with your answer, but I am disappointed, because your answer is like the politicians say everything but at the ende say nothing. If you read my initial message in the welcome section you will know that all my life I was in the photo business, I will tell you more now, I am 37 years old, from which 30 years I am working, like many people in Peru I am a hard working person since childhood, I was lucky that I could get a degree in the University of Tampa in the US, so I have knowledge of English and I have access to this english speaking forum, as well in the past I had many business opportunities because of my experience studying in your country.
Because I have more than 30 years of experience working and because here in Peru I am the biggest wholesaler of used minilab equipment I know already that I need a to be patient, that is why right now I am researching, I have now many customers willing to give me their money to bring them solvent printers, but I do not want to take their money until I feel secure that I will give them the best option I can give, and I do this because as well as you I AM PROFESSIONAL TOO, I am a professional in the sale of used minilabs, you can ask me what you want in that area I will answer you everythin wuthout making fun of you because you know nothing about it.
Right now I have offers to bring chinesse solvent printers directly from China, but I do not want to get into the new business, I have an idea why Mimaki is more expensive than Infinity, but I just want to read the opinion of an expert, about RIP, I already msde some research in google and I have an idea too, but again there is nothing better than to have an explanation of an expert, if you ask me anything about photo minilabs I can give you a more detailed and better information than you will find in the net.
Finally I know my questions may upset someone, as you pointed out, it seems like a completely irresponsible getting into your business, first of all I am not gonna get into your business because I am planning to work in the Peruvian market not your market, and yes I am a newbee right now, but planning not to be in the future, I want to learn, those are the reasons of my questions, I have to start asking to the pros, like an old chinesse saying says : " I simple step is the beginning of a 5,000 miles journey".
Please answer my questions.

Techman

Why Chinesse equpment is so cheap and why most of you do not use chinesse equipment.

ITis so cheap because they didn't do any research and development. They merely copied someone else's work.

We don't use it or support Chinese junk because it is junk. IF anyone tries to copy a machine and does not understand what is going on,, they amplify the weaknesses.

TheSnowman

In this business you get what you pay for. And you pay even more sometimes, so that you can be well educated, and know that the company you bought it from will be there to help you out along the way. I can't tell you what the differences are...if you weren't familiar w/ a rip, then I'd say that's the first HUGE difference.

Pachacutec70

Thanks for your answer Techman, can you plaesa be more specific? for example in the photo business if you ask me the same question I would tell you not to rely in any chineesse or korean digital minilab, because they do not have the experience Fuji, Noritsu or Agfa has, most probably if you get an unknown Chinese labs you will have problems with pixels and software, ans I am sure the source of the laser and the optics are not as good quality as Fuji, Noritsu or Agfa for example, so you may pay maybe $20K less but your problems will be so high that wouldn´t be worth it, and even if you ask me what to buy, I would recommend either Fuji Frontier or Noritsu equipment, not because they are the best, I love Agfa D lab equipment but they are very expensive to maintain, and there are very few technitians in the market, if you get Fuji or Noritsu at least you will have the confidence that always will get a good technitian nearby and also the price of parts are not so high.
Techman, can you please be more specific, why Chinesse is junk? what americans or europeans equipment do better?? Believe it, here in Peru is full of Chinesse equipment, is full of all that junk, I want to chage that and give Peruvians the chance to get decent equipment, but I need to give them good reasons.
Regarding "RIP", I know not being familiar with that term puts me in a very bad situation, in the digital photo business there is not that word, what I know about RIP is what I read in Google, I even ask people here in Peru who makes banners and they do not have any idea what can be, I ask students of design and they are not familiar with the word neither, I am very sure that here in my country the market is not as professional as yours, I change that, that is why I am asking, just tell me with your words, what you understand for RIP ??

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, Pachacutec70…. If you’re disappointed and feel the answer is like a politicians’ answer to you, it could be because you don’t understand Vinylman’s answers due to your lack of knowledge which you readily admitted.

His answer is on the mark and it doesn’t take much to understand what he said there. It is good sound judgment coming from a sign person. In fact, for 95% of the answers here…. all will be from sign people. You’re in the wrong forum. You need to be talking to people that sell this equipment and can give you sound spec information, documented numbers and surveys on statistics and comparison charts on the various equipment. It’s good that you speak English, but would probably be better if you spoke Chinese, Japanese and a few other languages if you want to talk in native languages to the manufacturers of these machines.

Your work ethics are to be commended. I wish others in this country started work at nine, but with our country’s ‘Labor Laws’ that is prohibited and frowned upon. Most here go to school and learn a trade and become good at something by working up through the ranks…. so to speak. There are others that get into business through a ‘Back Door’ and generally don’t know much about a business venture…. therefore the need for these sites. However, most of those people are asking questions here about how to be in the sign making trade….. not the re-selling of products and comparing them to below standard copied pieces of crap.

So, my answer to you would be…. Why would you want to entertain the idea of bringing in ‘Junk’ when you evidently know there must be a better solution ?? It doesn’t take a genius from any country in the world to know when one is being bamboozled.

Please don’t consider anyone’s answers to you as being talked down to as you suggested. Lack of knowledge on your part can often times be confused with real knowledge and just not knowing any better. That’s the sad part.

Last….. you won’t be making any critical decisions or contributions to our area as you, also pointed out, but you will be hurting people from you own country… and if you don’t mind being misinformed and not doing your homework thoroughly…. you’ll only be hurting your own people’s pocketbooks and your future reputation. Please don’t jump into a venture such as this without full knowledge first. Look for the proper information from the proper people with what you seek. This is a sign forum with spotty information on your questions.

Good Luck………………..​

Techman

IF you already know the answers then why ask. The same info you posted about cameras is the same for printers.

Simple.

gvgraphics

RIP = Rest in Piece

I think you need to do some basic research before asking questions like what is a rip, when you want to sell this equipment.

Pachacutec70

Gino, my answer is, I don´t wanna bring junk chinesse, because Peru is full of that junk and I like to make a difference, not to give the same, even though bringing that chinesse junk I will make money too.
In my family all of us got an education, I was lucky to be the only one to get a degree in the US, if I tell you this is because i have the impression that you think I want to get into this business from the "back door", I am reseraching that is why I am asking.
Please look at me as a good business possibility to deal the good use equipment you may not need anymore, but before I buy it, you need to tell me all the benefits the end users will have with that equipment, so I will tell my customers that. Remember that all good equipment I get from you is less junk being sold in my country.
Finally, I do not hurt anyone, people in my country are very interested in me getting into this business just because the excellent service I give, that is why I need to research and learn to keep giving the same excellent service and to help my customers work in a professional environment.

signmeup

Well,

I don't print and at this point I'm not terribly interested in starting, but I would like to know what a RIP is.

Adrian

Pachacutec70

GVGRAPHICS!!!!

Right now I am doing the basic research, that is why I am in the newbee forum, don´t you remember when you first started?.

Techman, thanks again you are confusing digital minilab equipment with simple cameras; I have an idea of the answer, but I do not have it for sure, or the most important part of a Solvent printer is the laser as is in the Digital minilabs??
I feel like you guys feel some kind of threat from my part, please see me as a potential business partner who can take all the stuff you do not need for a fair price.

Thanks.

gvgraphics

GVGRAPHICS!!!!

Right now I am doing the basic research, that is why I am in the newbee forum, don´t you remember when you first started?.

Techman, thanks again you are confusing digital minilab equipment with simple cameras; I have an idea of the answer, but I do not have it for sure, or the most important part of a Solvent printer is the laser as is in the Digital minilabs??
I feel like you guys feel some kind of threat from my part, please see me as a potential business partner who can take all the stuff you do not need for a fair price.

Thanks.

A basic search on Google or any other search engine would yield you results to your questions. Simply taking the time to look for the answers would help you to understand so much more. But you are looking to sell equipment that you have no knowledge of. You are going to sell this to the customer and then, oops, it broke, now what? You have no means to fix it, no skill with this machine, knowledge of the working parts or the mechanical aspect of how it performs. You are looking in the wrong location for the information you desire. As Gino stated, talk to the ones who manufacture and sell the equipment.

As far as you a threat, thanks for the laugh!!!!

Pachacutec70

thanks POCONOPETE!!! That is the kind of people we need in our society.
Thanks for being positive and focusing what you can do for me than in focusing what I do wrong or what I do not know, like many people in this forum did.

Gvgraphics, you can laugh as loud as you want, just remember the say:
" The last one to laugh, laugh better"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to keep this one going, but I feel I must post this for you Pacha70.

If you’re taking this much offense to criticism and real help, how will you ever help your Peruvian sign makers with an attitude of picking and choosing the posts you like and don’t feel harmful to your ego ?? With the sort of professionalism [or lack thereof] you’ve displayed from your end…. I find it hard to believe you will ever find the information you seek. You might speak English’ fluently, but you don’t understand it or you wouldn’t be saying some of the things you are accusing other about. Simply ignoring sound advice because you don’t like a certain tone is ignorance in any language and that’s due to the fact that you don’t have as many tools at your disposal that you think you have. Using old sayings from another country’s language and getting it all wrong will always result in bad publicity.

It’s just a good thing ‘bob’ from earth isn’t answering you…. or you’d really be lost.​

Please search for the proper information in the proper places…. it will help you…. tremendously. Don’t wear out your ‘Welcome Mat’.

technowolf

Hey pacha 70
if you see that you have an opportunity because of demand on printers in peru. go for it.

lots of people sell things they dont no hell about at least you are trying to learn. It looks like this forum is not the good place to start :)))) :Welcome:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
actually technowolf, this is a great place to get info and start out...if you approach it the right way....personally, i wouldn't buy any kind of equipment(used or new) from someone who didn't understand how the machine worked....otherwise, when i have a problem, i'm up the creek without a paddle....so yes, pacha70 should be asking questions and doing his homework, but he should also respect the fact that we're trying to explain that if he doesn't have a basic knowledge of the equipment/software, then there isn't much we can really do....we're not here to teach him....help yes...assist yes...but not teach him