• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please lend some advice

turtletrax88

Hi, my name is James Berkebile, I have been reading and learning alot from here lately. I am an avid rc car racer who was purchasing paint masks to paint bodies. That got my gears turning and after some searching was just amazed at what you can do with these things. Started off looking at the changping versions and after alot of reading my "do it right the first go around" kicked in. The last week I was debating between the gx24 and ce5000. I have 1800 saved up now and decided on the graphtec because I found them new for under 1300(stands a bonus too). My main question is, is there any decent software that I can design masks, decals and whatever the future may hold, that isnt so expensive???? Thats just to big of hit to startoff. I DL'ed Inkscape but thats a pita so far. Should I buy through SW since they pricematch and go with their LXI? Please guide me toward the light, I just want to pick something that will do what I want and start learning it.

zmatalucci

yeh for the f---ing fourth time! Stop f---ing overposting our forums!!!!!

Just kidding! Welcome from NJ!

turtletrax88

well, did I do something wrong? I havent seen anything about cheap software just the usual ai corel etc. Hopefully this will be that thread i look back on in a few weeks and think god was I dumb. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If the Graphtec comes with a bridge program then you'll probably find Corel X14 is your most economical bet. LXI is private label Flexi but comes in many scaled down versions that won't provide a lot of design capability. You might also want to check with CiberCut who is a merchant here for your software.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
well, did I do something wrong? I havent seen anything about cheap software just the usual ai corel etc. Hopefully this will be that thread i look back on in a few weeks and think god was I dumb. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Seems to be a trend here lately. Not at all sure why some post as they do.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Am I looking at the right version?? http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Corel-DRAW-Graphics-Suite-X4/3024208/product.html
For some reason I was under the impression all this was in the thousand and up range. Maybe I have just been looking at flexi. Wheres my easy button, thats a sigh of relief

What you're looking at is an academic license version of Corel Suite. While I'm sure some people buy this version and use it commercially, the license is intended for students and teachers and prohibits commercial use. It may also be short of some goodies that come with the commercial version.

The typical street price for the commercial version is around $350. Do not buy an upgrade version (typically around $150) because it will ask for a serial number for an earlier version or it won't install.

Jackpine

Graphtec CE5000 would be my choice. decided on the graphtec because I found them new for under 1300(stands a bonus too)
Stand is included with the Graphtec and the cutter comes with a basic cutting program.
Corel and Cibercut is a good inexpensive setup.

511graphix

welcome! have fun. just when you get your software. try to get to understanding everything really good. its one of your most powerful tools in the whole. computer graphic business. if you cut corner now on learning things. you can get into some really bad habits. nice choices on your cutter. I need to upgrade soon.

jiarby

get an old version (x3) of Corel... way cheaper. you can cut directly from corel using their plugin. Welcome aboard...

dbenec

Ordway has both a refurb and a demo version of the graphtec you're looking at on their used equipment page.

demo is 1,150 and refurb is 1,250

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/Used_Equipment/usdplot1.asp

I've only dealt with them one time - but Pete (the owner) went out of his way to make sure the cutter stand I was looking at was compatible with my cutter which for some reason nobody else was willing to do.

Looks like free shipping on that cutter too. Between the free shipping and the discount for demo unit you could put that toward your software purchase.

Good Luck!

turtletrax88

Ordway has both a refurb and a demo version of the graphtec you're looking at on their used equipment page.

demo is 1,150 and refurb is 1,250

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/Used_Equipment/usdplot1.asp

I've only dealt with them one time - but Pete (the owner) went out of his way to make sure the cutter stand I was looking at was compatible with my cutter which for some reason nobody else was willing to do.

Looks like free shipping on that cutter too. Between the free shipping and the discount for demo unit you could put that toward your software purchase.

Good Luck!
Yeah thats where I just ordered from. They have the brand new ones for sale right now for 1295 so I just went with that. Thanks for the replies guys and he was pleasant to deal with!! Now I cant wait till it gets here- ups ground across the country:Sleeping:

hoppers

I think someone on here was just selling a full version of Corel X3 for like $80 - search the classified section and you may still find it!

turtletrax88

Its amazing what some people have to say. Why even view the NOOB forums at all???? Trust me im an oval racer in rc cars(where .01 sec means you lose). If I didnt put up with that new guy and help him out, my local sport would not be around (but im sure thats what u want). I DEARLY thank those who replied in a positive manner!!!! But why are you in this section?.... Anywhooo my bud who has been doing signs for 10yrs for the biggest sign co. in town is coming over to introduce me to the software I have next week. I just cant wait!!

turtletrax88

Im sorry I was on another forum and saw a post on how rude people were to a new guy here so he joined another forum, and kinda hit home. BTW you all werent very bad just saying everyone starts somewhere and if its gonna irritate ya stay out the kitchen lol. But this is a awesome forum!!!