• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Premium forum concepts: privacy, secrecy, value & funding...

iSign

I haven't been posting as much in the last few weeks, due to an increase in my business responsibilities, but I've seen a lot of discussion related to the Premium Forums lately & have wanted to comment on at least 4 threads since yesterday. I'm up early, so I had some time... look out, this is a long post!

My views are just that... my views. They exist because I think about my surroundings & I try to understand what I see, & what I hear others say. I may misunderstand as often as not...

But to me the Premium forums originally grew out of a desire to contribute on the part of many happy campers using this free site, benefiting from this free site & watching Fred give of himself to make this free site such a valuable place for us to enjoy.

I recall a thread where people mentioned a willingness to contribute, and in many cases this was not the first time some of us had posted that willingness. The conversation took off, as many do, & there was a significant enough of us basically telling Fred... "take the money dammit" ...how many times do we have to have to say this! :doh:

So, the "Contributing Member" tag was born, & Fred allowed us to do what was at that time, basically like leaving a tip to voluntarily show appreciation for service already being provided.

Again, in my perception of events, this original concept evolved. Everyone knows that almost all good things come at a cost to someone, and the cost to provide this site has been growing with the site. Most of us in business know that labor costs are often among the highest of all costs. In an effort to cover the increasing costs of this site, two of the revenue streams were looked at for ways to ensure that funding increased in pace with cost increases.

Those two streams were advertising & subscriptions.

Remember when cable TV didn't have advertising? OK, I don't even remember that, but I think at one time it was a little bit like Public Broadcasting in that the need for donations (or subscriptions) replaced some of the need for advertising dollars. Anyway, both revenue streams can work together, but they can also work against each other, so that is a challenge alongside the basic challenge of raising enough cash to meet costs.

Part of my perceptions have been gained from my participation in the Organizing Committee conversations & the short lived Board of Directors, but much of what I have heard said has been said several times in the open forums. I just want to start discussing it again, to help clear things up in my own mind, and possibly add clarity for others as well.

To increase the funding from subscriptions, Signs101 is & has been trying to create "value" that can be offered in exchange for payment. This doesn't change the fact that there is a vast amount of value available for free. Once this "value" can be identified, advertising of the opportunity to purchase a subscription will theoretically result in more subscriptions, & more revenues.

Simultaneously, the other revenue stream of advertising is also being considered & developed. We are not like public television with a guarantee of NO COMMERCIALS... and we are also not like those free magazines shoved in everyone's mailbox, just so inflated claims can be made to advertisers about the bazillions of readers who will see their ads...

...We are walking the line between those two extremes, & attempting to receive some subscription dollars from satisfied customers, without suffering the decline in attendance we would encounter in a pay-to-play environment... as well as receiving some advertising dollars, without compromising the value of the site by catering to sponsors needs before our own.

As we have walked this line between these 2 diverse sources of income, several things have been happening. We are growing larger & costlier, Fred is growing closer to a day he might wish to work less than 18 hours a day, & clues are being gathered to assess the feasibility of increasing revenues from the 2 streams mentioned above.

In my opinion, based on my best effort to understand & remember what I've read...

Subscription dollars seem to hold far less promise for supporting the site as we know it today.

Advertising dollars seem to hold far more promise for supporting the site as we know it today.

Will the site remain as we know it today? Will anything remain as we know it today?

Even if we wanted things not to change, things change! however, I imagine we would all agree that nobody wants Signs101 to become so full of ads, & so dependent on advertiser dollars, that policy & content were set, or controlled by advertisers. That will never happen as long as Fred is involved, or any of the participants who have volunteered time helping to guide the future of this site.

But, even though we won't expect to see advertising dollars come at a cost of losing the value that brings us here (because if we aren't here, advertisers will leave too)... I think we can all expect to see the role that advertising plays increase, because I believe that is where the primary funding needs to come from, to keep this site growing, even if Fred's herculean level of labor contributions may decline some day.

Conversely, I believe the emphasis on Premium subscriptions as a revenue stream may be toned down. Just me guessing again, or grasping at perceptions, so I'm sure i'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

The reason I wanted to write this is because privacy is important to some people, some of the time. We have a place for that. Secrecy is also important to some people, some of the time, although it is not exactly the same as privacy. I think some people want privacy to help us as an industry to keep pricing structures & profit margins, & wholesale sources away from the eyes of our clients, which makes sense.

I think other people have started suggesting secrecy of pricing topics, manufacturing tips, material sources, or even font id's as a way to create value for the premium subscriptions, by taking value away from the free forums. This does NOT make sense in my mind.

I think the notion of promoting Premium subscriptions, from within our threads, by the contributing members, is NOT good for the site. I believe too many people have too vague of an understanding of the various interwoven considerations related to this topic.

If I am correct, that the powers that be today (Fred, Stacy, and the Advisory Committee) have recognized a greater opportunity in funding this site with advertising, compared to subscription dollars, then we will want to promote value in the freely available information to the masses, so that the masses flock to the site & the advertisers will recognize a mutually beneficial opportunity in supporting the site.

So, in my opinion, Premium membership & Premium forums will still have value, and will still offer privacy, will still generate some revenue, & will still be developed into an increasingly more valuable opportunity...

But I think my main observation would be that the increased value of Premium forums, should never be created by taking away value from the general forums.

I could have just posted this last paragraph, but I am trying to wrap my head around all the other paragraphs, because those are the things I have read & considered for the last few years, and I wanted to write it all down & see if it made sense to anyone else, of if I am off base, to have my perceptions corrected.

Bly

Good point iSign.
I've been a member of quite a few forums and this subject always comes up.

While offering added value to subscribers makes sense and possibly attracts members, browbeating and accusing non subscribers always lowers the tone of a place and creates a sense of us and them, usually generating bitterness and reducing the feeling of community.

I have subscribed to forums on occasion. Most other times I simply add support by contributing any knowledge I have and occasionally some wit. :munchie:

Just my non-subscribed opinion of course.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Doug, there is very little there that I disagree with. A clarification perhaps of this:

If I am correct, that the powers that be today (Fred, Stacy, and the Advisory Committee) have recognized a greater opportunity in funding this site with advertising, compared to subscription dollars, then we will want to promote value in the freely available information to the masses, so that the masses flock to the site & the advertisers will recognize a mutually beneficial opportunity in supporting the site.

The masses are afforded a view of the text that is posted in the open forums. They are not afforded a view of images that are properly posted nor are they afforded the right to post. They are afforded the opportunity to join our community where they are asked a series of qualifying questions in an effort to screen out those who do not meet our membership criteria.

In this way, our advertisers can benefit from all the traffic whether from a banner ad, a post or being located in the Merchant Directory. Responsible members will largely understand that sensitive information should not be posted in the open forums and, frankly, anyone who makes any decision about their business based on a post made by less responsible members in the open forums does so at their own peril.

Everything in our forums is the opinion of the poster. But to just stumble in and act on any information in a post from someone of whom you have not evaluated their credibility, is the act of a fool ... pure and simple.

Techman

From my seat there are two values here. Tangible value and intangible value.

For example.
Tangible value is what we get by reading and taking advice. These posts of valid and worthy advice is in itself a measurable value. It is a fact that just one post of just one technique will save some of us many countless dollars over a period of time.

Intangible value is what we get in our minds. It is not measurable by most standards. Often we find an idea within ourselves that was seeded long ago from some word mentioned within a post. Just one post will stimulate someone else into a Google search that will bring them a very high return. This has a value but is overlooked by the member. He or she cannot make the connection that his idea was stimulated by something posted here.

Together the tangible and intangible value is beyond measure. What can be done to present this value into a package that brings in revenue, goods and services far beyond the cost of hosting it?

Replicator

Although I don't think anyone should be brow-beaten into becoming a contributing member.

I think those who don't see the value in it are fools and/or plain-ol-CHEAP !

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Although I don't think anyone should be brow-beaten into becoming a contributing member.

I think those who don't see the value in it are fools and/or plain-ol-CHEAP !

:banghead: Your entitled to your opinion Marc, no matter how counter productive it may be.

iSign

so, you're saying you don't see the value?

Can I suggest you pass up 1 six pack this month & send in $7.50 to have a look?
It is harder to see the value, before you actually have a look!

No brow beating here, but an honest suggestion, just like tips on weeding, or pricing... I think you just might find value there if you take a look, so why not?

The whole point of true "value"... just like a good six pack, (or a good sign)... if there is enough value, the money is no longer a "cost", but becomes a good investment.

That's all we can do with money anyway, try to invest it wisely. A lot of us feel that way about Premium subscriptions!

Bly

Heh yeh I might just do that. Might have to be pestered into it though. Come on Rep how bout some more trash talk.

Farmboy

I don't post much and I'm not sure if anything I have ever posted has been of much service to anyone. What I am sure of though is the value of this site to me. Educational and Entertaining. The cost of being a Premium Subscriber is well worth it. I think it could even stand to be higher. There are folks on here that bring great value to this site. People that have published books and do work on national accounts that freely give advice and views on here. Well worth it IMHO!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think anyone is cheap or a fool for not joining. Not everyone makes a good Cub Scout. We're not all cut out to be an astronaut or a high explosives expert, but you don't know about something until you try it. How many here.... that are or aren't 'Premium' members got into business with absolutely no out-a-pocket cost ?? How many of you have ever wondered how to use a nail clipper or a tin snips ??

You either had to buy one to figure it out or go to someone that had one. You only have to spend $7.50 to find out what you can learn on the other side.

Coaxing someone to do something they already have their minds up... not to do....... is mighty hard to understand from our view point, but if one doesn't want to do it.... so be it.

It's a business expense and a smart price to pay for an extended education and learning experience that most people tend to appreciate.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's a simple analogy. Think of it as a trade magazine subscription.

• You get the 48 page basic monthly for free.
  • You get the 96 page premium monthly for $7.50 a month to $50 a year.
Questions to ask yourself:

1. Do I even like the basic magazine?
  2. Do I read the basic magazine?
  3. Have I benefited from reading the basic magazine?
  4. Would I read the premium magazine if I upgraded my free subscription?
  5. Can I afford the cost of the premium subscription?
  6. Would I benefit enough from reading the premium magazine to cover the subscription cost and possibly profit?
  7. What is my maximum risk and what is my potential reward?
It really isn't complicated and it has nothing to do with status in the Signs 101 community. If your answer to the first five questions is yes, then #6 and #7 spell out the remaining basis for your decision. My answers would be:
6. Very likely.
7. $7.50 versus very high.
We'd certainly like it is everyone who reads this post would choose to become a premium subscriber. My job would be easier and you'd have a better equipped and better run forum in return.

iSign

...& I would like to also restate the analogy to tipping a food server again.

One thing I know from volunteering nearly a year of my time to helping work on ways to improve this community, is that there certainly is a lot of work being done & a lot of that work is done without compensation. That is service!

I believe a token gesture of trying out a premium subscription for a quarter, or at least a month, can easily be justified from service ALREADY PROVIDED... not just based on what MORE will you get. It's true, you will get more access to more forums, & if the revenues spike considerably, there WILL be an abundance of new and exciting things to come. I know this because I helped invest time in discussing these sort of things... but even without getting MORE... several people have been trying to help support this site for several years, in numerous ways... mostly Fred.

Even a little more funding from subscribers will help create the improved advertising opportunities & then that revenue stream can really grow to provide an even greater opportunity for improved functionality & features within ALL forums at Signs101...

So, consider it an investment in your own future in the sign business, as well as an investment in the future of this resource.

And for those of you coming here every day to enjoy the benefits, if a subscription is not for you at this time... NO PROBLEM... just by being here you are helping keep this community active, so thank you for that... keep coming... :Welcome:

...AND for the vast resources of talented & qualified contributors who share their work & knowledge & answer questions... THANK YOU! :U Rock:

...You guys are the real value here anyway, & while many of you are "contributing members" in terms of a paid subscription, those that are not "subscribers" are still the backbone of this site & would certainly qualify as "contributing members" anyway. :notworthy:

Steve C.

I probably should not point this out, Don't want to p o Fred, or anyone
else. But after spending a significant portion of my life reading the OP, I
feel the need to throw in my 2 cents.

I don't start many threads myself, but when I do I have found that posting
in the Premium section will get far fewer responces as not as many members
will see it. So I have decided not to start any threads in the Premium Section
in the interest of having it seen by a greater number of people. In my view
the only advantage to the Premium Section is that no clients would fine post
containing priceing discussions. Not at all to discourage Premium Membership,
I think all should join. Just sayin.

iSign

that's a good point Steve.

I will confess to the same practice in my posting habits, and in fact if it were up to me, the advertising revenue stream would be mined to maximum advantage & the whole Premium forum concept could evolve to something other than what it is today. As it is now, Fred added a few premium forum topics back into the general forums recently, because the division between general & premium forums wasn't entirely working as planned.

This thread was started with 2 ideas in mind. One was the single bold type comment seen at the end of spending that significant portion of your life reading my post... (The increased value of Premium forums, should never be created by taking away value from the general forums.)

The second reason was to initiate this discussion, so I could better understand the many related assumptions myself & others might have from watching & participating on this forum, through the various changes taking place & the sometimes contradictory comments thrown out by an assortment of non decision makers, like myself.

With that second idea in mind, I believe the Premium membership was better when it was simply a volunteer contribution of support, made by satisfied customers. I also think the whole issue of privacy is valid, but not universally desired. Now we have places (some) people can go to post more private discussion about pricing structure, or detailed production techniques... BUT, others will always be free to post that same information in the general forums.

So, this discussion can AND SHOULD be about change that different people want, NOT just about explaining the structure today. We can only straddle the fence so long before we suffer from not choosing one side or the other.

A pay-to-play site that is 100% for paid members does not seem to be in the cards here, for good reason. It is already a wildly successful free site, & that is not logical to sacrifice in favor of such a radical departure... therefore, my unofficial, & unauthorized opinion would be to get off the fence of a halfway paid, halfway free site & just put all the forums together, for free. THEN... other forms of perks could be available to "contributing members" ...more like the token "I support" awards that public broadcasting or non profit organizations may offer their supporters... along with some other perks that don't exist here yet, and could possibly be built into a premium subscription incentive that is COMPLETELY separate from general forums, and never competing with the general forums, or at any risk of being perceived as "taking away value from the general forums"

Steve C.

Maybe some of the MMs should consider offering discounts or at least sales
from time to time for Premium Members only...??? Or is that happening now?
If so I have not seen it. I always offer specials to the General Membership
when new fonts are released....I don't know, just thinkin out loud.

iSign

or MM's donating to a drawing, like in Letterville. It would be "copying" but using eligibility for a drawing, as incentive for contributions is far from a new idea, & using it on a forum was done there before being done here... but it's probably also done dozens, if not hundreds of other places on the net... and it seems like a good idea, so I wouldn't think the possibly slight perception of 'copying" would outweigh the possible benefits of creating new incentives for Premium subscriptions, while providing new ways MM's can get noticed around here, and get some of their products tried by different folks, who very well might become new, vocal, spokespeople offering valuable testimonials around here, providing even more potential value to entice ever more frequent or valuable prize donations from the MM's

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are two kinds of merchant advertisers ... passive and active. Merchant subscriptions decidedly favor the active ones and banner advertising decidedly is intended for the inactive ones. When the Vector Doctor shares an Illustrator tip or helps ID a font, he does a great deal to insure that he will also get more orders for vectorizing. He is representative of how a merchant subscription can be used to great benefit. A merchant who subscribes and rarely participates is far better off investing in banner advertising.

In a very short time, I will have the new Classified Advertising section open for use. I think you will see some features in it that will benefit merchant subscribers. I have always viewed specials for premium subscribers as at best a difficult thing for the merchant to implement.