• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing 4x4 signs?

icex

I done a few signs for a political candidate for $40 each. Their asking if we can do them for $35 each and they want to order like 20 more.

I don't want to budge off of $40 but the guy is basically begging me to do it.

We digital print them with a picture, etc on them. Is $35 too cheap?

Thanks.

OldPaint

16 SQ FT......for $34 bucks??? $2.12 a sq ft.........and your printing them with a $20,000.00 printer and inks that are $100 a color???
lot of work for little money................

fixtureman

Stay at e $40 or they will want the batch after that $30. I don't know how any print shops are in your are but if I remember Logan is out in the sticks when I worked in Man

TXFB.INS

for 20 of them $40 is too low.

our political signs start at 25 QTY and that would be $36.19ea for one side full color

ALWAYS get paid upfront with politicians, the losers have a REALLY SHORT memory and usually forget to pay the bills once the campaign is over

icex

for 20 of them $40 is too low.

our political signs start at 25 QTY and that would be $36.19ea for one side full color

ALWAYS get paid upfront with politicians, the losers have a REALLY SHORT memory and usually forget to pay the bills once the campaign is over

Is that digital printed or flat bed?

We usually charge $50 a piece, but since they ordered a bunch we gave them a break to $40 each and now their wanting them for $35/each. Told them we could not do it, that if they wanted them it would be $40 each.

TXFB.INS

Is that digital printed or flat bed?

We usually charge $50 a piece, but since they ordered a bunch we gave them a break to $40 each and now their wanting them for $35/each. Told them we could not do it, that if they wanted them it would be $40 each.

that is flat bed

plus if it is like any other politician they are RUSH RUSH RUSH

CanuckSigns

I done a few signs for a political candidate for $40 each. Their asking if we can do them for $35 each and they want to order like 20 more.

I don't want to budge off of $40 but the guy is basically begging me to do it.

We digital print them with a picture, etc on them. Is $35 too cheap?

Thanks.
We would be around $80 each for one offs, for 10 pcs we would go down to $72 each. Printed on cheap vinyl, no laminate.

I can't buy them wholesale for $30 here!!

fresh

stick to your guns. i had a person who was insisting i do work for a larger discount than I had already given him yesterday. I told him to take the quote home and think about how much his time was worth. If contacting a different sign company, relaying all the information of the multiple signs he wanted, taking more time out of his day to drop off a deposit, etc, was worth the additional $25 discount he was insisting on, then so be it.

He did waste about 20 minutes of my time sulking about it, but in the end he paid the price I wanted. So tell your clients to buzz off & F U PAY ME. :)

TimToad

We've recently done a sizable amount of political stuff given the fact that most reptilian political types could really care less about keeping the money in the local economy if it means they can get 3 more signs out of the deal.

When contacted about doing these type signs, I always remind them that EVERYTHING on the interwebs looks like a deal until you check the boxes that make you pay more for each color, bleeds, shipping, smaller quantities, quicker delivery, etc...

Unless you have the resources to buy and space to store large quantities of Coro at a good discount, you just can't view it as anything other than keeping yourself busy for little real profit. Ink for our flatbed is $280 a pouch per color and most of these political signs are full bleed, deep background color, multi-color layouts.

Sure, we've been busy all month with this type of sign, but its just paying the bills and allowing us to build a few favors with the folks in the government who might steer more work our way once elected or re-elected.

Morph1

Print all
... we come in at $33.95.....

JP
what do you make on these signs 15 dollars a piece ?? lol , charging less than $40 is simply insane , folks don't sell yourself this cheap....
Ponto , pls contact me I'm in Edmonton as well ...

OldPaint

i guess iam stupid......and cant grasp the "mcdonalds model" pricing for signs. but then i dont have a $20,000.00 printer that has to keep running to pay for it)))
4 ft x 4 ft back in my brush days.........MINIMUM $80........PLUS SUB-STRAIGHT)))))
and outa that $80........was $5 worth of paint/turps tape.
THEN WHEN I DID VINYL.......4 X 4 went to $100........to cover vinyl transfer tape...........
i cant do anything for less the $5 sq ft............i dont care who the client is.

icex

Got a message they want us to stay late past business hours so they can talk to us about pricing. They asked if we could do free stickers along with the discount on signs. Sorry, no freebies from us. We pay the $25,000 machine payment, not them. They said they deserve a price break for ordering so many. Ok, like I said, we sell them for $50 a piece, we gave them to you for $40. No more price breaks, we can't afford it.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one, and won't go a penny cheaper. I can give "discounts" on stickers because they don't cost much to make, but when we do a 4x4 sign, plus the coroplast, vinyl, labor, etc, its not possible.

CanuckSigns

Got a message they want us to stay late past business hours so they can talk to us about pricing. They asked if we could do free stickers along with the discount on signs. Sorry, no freebies from us. We pay the $25,000 machine payment, not them. They said they deserve a price break for ordering so many. Ok, like I said, we sell them for $50 a piece, we gave them to you for $40. No more price breaks, we can't afford it.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one, and won't go a penny cheaper. I can give "discounts" on stickers because they don't cost much to make, but when we do a 4x4 sign, plus the coroplast, vinyl, labor, etc, its not possible.

Good for you!:U Rock:

Tell them for every sign they order at $45, you will include 10 "free" decals

otherwise, tell them if they order a high enough quantity you can go lower in price, you should be able to outsource them to a wholesaler and still be able to double your money, if the quantity is right of course. Oh and it goes without saying, but politicians pay on pickup, no exceptions, if they loose the election, they tend to "forget" to pay their bills...

Christian @ 2CT Media

Welcome to the age of commodity... you "old timers" are going the way of the dinosaur. More and More large wholesale to the public print houses are popping up everywhere, and in an age that the dollar is more important then quality you are fighting a losing battle. Either you adapt or fail. We have found a way to make money at the very low prices that we are competing with, its just how much are you willing to risk!

ToasTuk

Interesting argument, we have currently gone from the commidty model to the "price is the price" model. The result: Reduced footfall but higher margin, this in turn translates into about the same money margin wise but for less effort, also those ackward customers go elsewhere and you are left with the better ones that appreciate your talent and don't bleed you dry of your time.

There are pros and cons for both models but if you work with a fixed price then you must offer above what your offering. The best example of this was by adding a small bag of sweets to the order, the person doing the order does not benefit from the saving but the sweets are remembered next time as it was unexpected.

Eitherway good luck.

neil_se

Good on you for sticking to your guns. In that circumstance we typically say "we appreciate your business, but we're not willing to do work at a loss."

My pricing (flatbed) would be $47 ea based on a quantity of 20, or $42 ea based on the total amount of 40.