• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Canvas

Colin

absolutely.

Absolutely what?

Solvent printers suck for canvas printing, generally speaking in terms of color gamut and ink saturation.

Nonsense. While the gamut of an aqueous printer might have a slight edge, it's ridiculous to say that canvas prints from a solvent printer "suck". I've done a number of prints with fantastic results. Just did a sunflower which is stunning.

Last edited:

boxerbay

Try the Epson GS6000 eco-solvent 8 colors. best of both worlds. We print of the epson canvas and they are phenomenal.

boxerbay

We ran today 6 - 39x88 prints on film for facemount plexi, then we ran a 24 x 36 canvas, then we ran a 20 foot x 10 foot mesh banner, then some 250 reverse prints on clear rear laminated with white then plotted as 2x2 rounded corners, and left the building while it was still running some high end prints on glossy photo paper. The Epson GS6000 rocks.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
absolutely. Solvent printers suck for canvas printing, generally speaking in terms of color gamut and ink saturation.

...and you know this because?

Barring micro-examination and without instruments, just eyeballing, you most likely couldn't tell the difference between aqueous and solvent on canvas and coated on the best day you every had. Even if you detected a difference, unlikely, you'd be hard pressed to state which one was which with any authority.

GB2

Old Member
I'd sure like to know more about how everyone is mounting their canvas prints. Are you stretching them on frames? Do you make your own frames? Are you buying frames, where, what kind? Do you have any particular tips, tricks or suggestions as far as the frame stretching is concerned?

Colin

I'd sure like to know more about how everyone is mounting their canvas prints. Are you stretching them on frames?

Yes. They must be stretched & affixed to a "stretcher bar" (a special wooden frame with a tapered face).

Do you make your own frames? Are you buying frames, where, what kind?

You should be able to find the stretcher bar pieces at any art supply place shop. They usually come in many different lengths, in 2" increments. So if you want to do a 20" x 30" frame, you buy two 20" and two 30" pieces. They have a special interlocking corner, and with a dab of wood glue and squaring, they're ready to mount your canvas to after an overnight dry.

Do you have any particular tips, tricks or suggestions as far as the frame stretching is concerned?

You can find lots of videos on YouTube on that. Watch several of them.

GB2

Old Member
I thought about trying this type of product:

http://ags.allgraphicsupplies.com/Shop/Products/PictureWrapFrames/PictureWrapFrames.aspx?ID=547

If you follow the link and then click on details you will find a video that demonstrates the use of the product. Has anyone ever tried such a thing? I'm not sure if it a cost effective way to go for stretcher frames. I've seen another competitive product that was more expensive but looked very good, I just can't find the link to that right now.

Colin

That's another option, but not as good quality IMO. It doesn't look like the canvas gets pulled very taught with that method.