• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on vinyl for coroplast signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Okay Gino...

Let me put it to you this way.

He was screened. I reviewed that INCLUDING LOOKING AT HIS WEBSITE to see if he met our criteria. He does. Do I have to share exactly what it is to you?

NOPE!

My happy hippy self hates seeing people making jerks of themselves when really - there's no call.

Bigdawg

Just Me
And personally I think you and Flame BOTH need to go take a look at his early posts. Seriously Gino - he was just as bad. And that should show you that there's hope for anyone.

Please don't take that wrong Flame... I'm really glad you're part of this forum. But you were one cocky dude when you started... and not a lot of people were feeling the love for ya' back then.

SignManiac

As a veteran with a lot of knowledge, I will not offer any helpful advice to this inconsiderate newbie with an AmEx card. Because you have the money, does not mean you deserve (edited...are entitled to) a place in this business.

Flame

Please don't take that wrong Flame... I'm really glad you're part of this forum. But you were one cocky dude when you started... and not a lot of people were feeling the love for ya' back then.

Nah it's all good. I can still be cocky but I kinda like this community. :p

Steve C.

cause it looks like a snowball’s chance in Hell that you’ll get much more help here.

I agree with all you have said Gino. Except for this.

The members here are very forgiving.

The fact that Ddarlak is still a member here attests to that.
(no offence to ddarlak)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly Stacy.... I don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not looking for his/her credentials, that matters nothing to me... nor their history or how he/she got on this site.

If I'm being a jerk, so be it... I'm used to doing that and believe it or not.... I don't mind being a jerk if it means I'm the only one on this whole site that thinks the OP did wrong. I just want them to own up to it.

This is not a popularity contest and regardless of whom says what to whom... the OP was still 100% wrong. I don't know why, but this kind of crap bothers me. Let him alone and maybe he'll grow up and watch his mouth.... ?? Maybe that's how its handled on a forum, but in all my bringing up... it meant you were responsible for yourself and you had to fess up when you goofed up. No one came to your rescue and tried to smooth it over, unless you were six years old. Now that... I didn't account for, perhaps that's where I went wrong.

Sorry, but since I've been here, I haven't changed my views on certain behavior. Doesn't mean mine are right or wrong, but they are what I am and my principles... and I stick to them.

:thankyou:

omgsideburns

attachment.php

stickermonkey

Bigdawg...I agree with you. Maybe that makes me your "trippie hippie sister" and I'm ok with that. We all have our days and we all have had the opportunity to help another here at signs101. I just feel that if you don't like the post, or feel you can help the poster...just simply refrain from saying anything. There would be a heck of a lot less ruffled feathers and cocky responses from newbies or oldies alike.

:) And while I'm at it...I also think that it's great to have a community where you can go to for advice and opinions. It would be even nicer if you could feel welcomed to speak openly and share without being ripped apart. Constructive critisism is good...even touch love...but outright disrespect is useless and a waste of time and energy.

Peace:wink:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Gino... you know I :loveya:

but I will never quit trying to smooth things over here... it's what I do. Keep the peace between those I care about and I care about every single person on this board enough to try to do that. See... the way I was brought up was that if ya' had to put the smack down on someone -you did it with a smile on your face and they thanked you for it afterwards...

Was EPP being a jerk? Yep... he should say - hey.... I was being a jerk - let's try this again.

But you weren't too awful nice yourself... sorry - just how I see it. Guess I'd forgotten about the intolerance... you know how us hippies are with our rose-colored glasses.

:smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stacy, just because of you, I'll shut up. I'm doing it for you and your hubby so you have one less problem tonight...... :covereyes: I can't look.

You're gonna need all your strength to handle his cantankerous butt for the next few days or weeks, so I'll simmer down.... at least for the rest of tonight.​
And stickermonkey.... stop blowing smoke................... :ROFLMAO:

Same here Stacy.... always :thankyou:

EPP

Gino, I'm not difficult to deal with -- I can assure you of that. Apparently you, and others, have misinterpreted where I'm coming from -- so let me explain, as it might shed some light on why I reciprocated the attitude I was getting from flame, to flame.

I do not own a sign company. I do not foresee myself owning a sign company any time soon. I own a company that specializes in web design, web applications, and graphics. Inevitably, since one of our forte's is graphics, we have found ourselves being asked by numerous clients to design their signs. We do. And we have farmed the printing out to local companies for years now. We've had enough requests come in lately to warrant us purchasing our own printer to print jobs in-house. We've been successfully printing posters and larger items on paper for some time now, but recently, have seen a huge increase in requests for coroplast & wooden signs. I have no idea how to go about printing these, I only know that I can. I might not be able to print a sign that will last years outdoors, or one that you guys would hold to the high standards you have in place to assure the longevity of your business -- but I know this, and my clients know this.

That being said, I've spent the last few weeks scouring google to research and learn about printing these signs. I stumbled on this site the other day, and through the limited access I had not being a member, had found it to be by far the most informative site I had seen, so I joined. I was ecstatic because I had found a section on this site titled "Newbie Forum" -- a forum where people who are new to the industry (like myself) could feel free to post "basic questions" -- which I did. I thought I would be helped, and I was wrong. The very first person to respond gave what I interpreted to be a condescending answer, and then a few "Hello's" later, I got flames smart-ass remarks. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me that I bought the wrong equipment. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me that I have a steep learning curve. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me that I don't have the same sign experience as someone who's been in the industry for years. I already knew all of this. I was looking for someone to tell me what type of Vinyl I could purchase that was printable, and would apply well to coroplast and wood. Maybe even someone that would go the extra mile and tell me which types of vinyl would help deter the inevitable fading of my inadequate machine. That's why I asked the question that I asked. A newbie question, in a newbie forum. And after the first round of responses it was clear that I'd have better luck with google.

Flame my man, I apologize for being a jerk. My responses to you were arrogant, and downright disrespectful. And I apologize if any of you took my "slap it on and viola" comment personally. I can understand how some of you might take offense to that remark---because in retrospect---I'm sure it's all some accuse the people in the sign-making profession of doing. And that's clearly far from the truth.

That being said: If there is anyone out there that wasn't or isn't offended or turned off by the previous discussion and/or my remarks, and is still willing to help a newbie with a newbie question, I am looking for information on the best type of vinyl for me to purchase. I have a HP DesignJet 5000ps printer, with UV pigmented ink, and would like to print directly on to the vinyl and then apply it to coroplast or wood -- preferably something that will handle well outdoors.

I will give what I know from my expierence with this printer. The best vinyl I have found for the money is Jexar from Fellers, use a coat of Clear Shield liquid laminate and it will give about 2 years outdoors before it begins to fade. We have some that we printed 4 years ago that is still good. We also used the UV inks from Lexjet which we found to be superior to the HP inks for outdoor usage. Will be glad give any other information I can, there are tricks and some tips that make this printer better. Hope this helps give me a pm if you need to know more.

Circleville Signs

Ok...Ignorning everything else...

Your question was answered. Your prjter should not be used to print anything that will be outdoors for more than a few days. Not a few days at a time - a few days.

Your printer is perfect for interior signage, POP displays, posters, even fine art prints. It is not great for Ny exterior applications. For exterior applications you need either a solvent/Eco-Sol, latex, or thermal resin printer.

If you insist on using yor printer for applications that it wasn't intended for, HP has it's own line of vinyls. You can also use pretty much any other Media, however you aren't going to have happy customers in 3 weeks when their signs are either faded or running.

I guess I'm a blind liar when I say that I get 2 years outdoors with this printer. Sorry but I don't understand why everyone knows but has not used this printer. Alsp need to learn how to spell printer.

Circleville Signs

I guess I'm a blind liar when I say that I get 2 years outdoors with this printer. Sorry but I don't understand why everyone knows but has not used this printer. Alsp need to learn how to spell printer.

You're right man. Typing a response on my iphone is the the best way to spell. I'm an idiot.

What a douche.

Flame

I have a print that's 7 years old sitting 30' up in the air, zero fading on it, printed on a JV33..... no lam.

No comparison.

Even if you squeak out 2 years that's pretty bad...

The prints from our JV3 and Roland 540 last longer that is not the issue, the OP asked for information not sarcastic answers. I also think calling people names like douche is uncalled for, I was simply trying to help a person with some answers. If you can't or don't want to help why be profane and vulgar?

Circleville Signs

The prints from our JV3 and Roland 540 last longer that is not the issue, the OP asked for information not sarcastic answers. I also think calling people names like douche is uncalled for, I was simply trying to help a person with some answers. If you can't or don't want to help why be profane and vulgar?

Because you decided to belittle me by attacking a spelling mistake, and in doing so, backhandedly tell me and any other readers that I must be a moron.

That's what makes you a douche - and like Gino, I call them like I see them.

Flame

If a guy hopped on a plumbing forum asking how to fix the piping in a police station, and all he had was duct tape. Would you come up with ideas on how to use duct tape, or tell him to find the right tools and inform him how to use THOSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.