• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on vinyl for coroplast signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your point, he was not asking to do something impossible just needed information. You may call them as you see them but still being vulgar and name calling is wrong, I never called anyone a moron, but you stated you would not get more than 3 weeks with a print from a HP 5000 and that is incorrect. I don't think you are a moron I think you are a very talented person who does awesome work.

Circleville Signs

The response that I gave to the OP was not sarcastic or antagonistic. I'm not going to argue about your first post directed at me - it's in the public record and i am confident that people can comprehend the situation.

Now, my point still stands - unless OP buys additional equipment, he is not equipped to produce exterior signage. Can he laminate the prints he produces? Sure. They still won't hold up more than 18-24 months. Liquid Lam? 12-18 TOPS. That's assuming he knows what he's doing - which it appears that he might not.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
In his first post he said he wanted to print on vinyl to be installed on Coroplast.
I don't think anyone on this list expects 2 or 3 years out of a digitally printed vinyl/coroplast sign.

I used to lease an Encad 1000i (aqueous) printer running the pigment ink set.
I did outdoor banners/coro signs/window posters/etc that needed to look good for about a 4 to 6 weeks at a time and they did fine for that short timespan - even without lam.
It would have been cheaper and easier to do it with a solvent printer but I did not have one at the time - now I do.
To EPP,
you need coated media for your printer, check the line of aqueous outdoor media offered by Sihl - 3988 - Aqueous Inkjet Vinyl, Matte.
If you laminate - it will be easier to install - look better (glossy vs matte) & last (a little) longer.
Oraguard 210 intermediate laminate is a good match for the 3988.
I got both from Gregory Inc. but there should be many other resellers out there.
I am not sure about installing on wood - we don't do wooden signs here, winds or termites will get them long before the vinyl or print gives up.
You can do short term outdoor stuff with the printer you have but once you move up to an eco or full solvent machine you will wonder why you spent all that time doing it the hard way.

wayne k
guam usa

TheSnowman

What about that Mr. Magnetic Signs guy that we saw on youtube last year that promised the 20 year outdoor ink on his magnets? You mean that's not TRUE!?

stickermonkey

And stickermonkey.... stop blowing smoke................... :ROFLMAO:
Gino....the only smoke I can see is coming from your direction ;)

Jack Knight1979

I started with a 5500ps UV. I sold it shortly after and bought about 40k in equipment.

It will basically show you what you can't do more than can.

Sign_Boy

EPP - Why not just outsource for these things?
If it's only for a few clients I don't see why you would invest in a printer right now?
Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing you - It just doesn't make sense to me.

By outsourcing you could:
• Have saved money by not buying the printer
• Use the right materials for the job
• Have the option of using many different types of materials for different jobs - Banners - Vinyl - Perf - and so on
• Give yourself time to learn about these materials
• Ask for samples so you can see what materials would work for the job
• Get enough of these types of jobs under you belt (along with the client base) to justify buying a printer

Like I said before don't take this the wrong way but buying a machine that probably isn't the best choice for these types of jobs just doesn't make sense to me. Just saying.

Anyway - I'm not sure what material this printer will accept - wildindian may have hit it in post #34 - I would use a clear shield or even invest in a laminator to help out with the longevity of these prints now that you have a printer.

Best of luck to you & Welcome to 101

Bigdawg

Just Me
Good advice Wayne - thanks for stepping up.

I think part of the problem EPP is that so many come to us for temporary signs that end up being permanent. I had a customer come to me with paper-printed decals on their vehicle with laminate stuck over them slightly larger. Sooooo not the right way - OR EVEN AN ACCEPTABLE WAY - of doing things... Which is why I say your equipment really isn't for outdoor signs IMHO... but is perfectly suited to one-time things like dated event signs and such... all I'm saying is don't count on that 2-yr print.

Hope you stick around... takes a big man to step up and try again after the chilly reception you got... welcome to Signs 101

Tim Aucoin

Hey EPP... you earned my respect (not that you care!:tongue:) with your last post! Your story is not that far from mine when I first joined Signs101. I wasn't a sign company and technically, I'm still not. I'm a printing company who started doing signs for similar reasons you gave. We've come a long way in 2 years... mainly because of the wonderful folks here on Signs101... so I hope you stick around; I'd love to see how you grow in the months and years to come!

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question on vinyl for that particular printer. When I decided to start producing "signs" way back when, I brought in an aqueous based Epson printer (9800), and thought I could do it all. I learned I couldn't, and took the step to purchase a "proper" printer for what I was trying to achieve. I purchased a Roland and sold the Epson and haven't looked back. At that point, I stumbled across this amazing forum and after much research and help from my friends on here... I've grown the sign division of our business tremendously. My point is that you need to keep your options open to looking at obtaining a printer that is more suitable for what you're doing if you plan to continue down that path. Then I could give you my opinion on what vinyl I think would work for you!

I do wish you luck and hope to see your continued posts! :Welcome::Canada 2:

Graphics2u

EPP - It's been a long time since I printed with Auqueous inks but when I did I could get good results for short term outdoor (1-2 years) as long as it was laminated. You might also be able to use some of the liquid laminates that are available. One drawback you will find is water based media is more expensive than that for solvent inks. Best thing to do is talk to a sign supplier in your area and see what they carry for your printer and go from there. Hope it works out for ya.

And I thought your point you made here is excellent:

I was ecstatic because I had found a section on this site titled "Newbie Forum" -- a forum where people who are new to the industry (like myself) could feel free to post "basic questions" -- which I did. I thought I would be helped, and I was wrong.

Circleville Signs

I think that Gino and BigDawg pointed out why the reception was chilly.

The OP denigrated (intentionally or not) what many of us do for a living. He also seemed (to me at least) as if he was going to be trying to do something without the proper equipment (which makes ALL of us look bad to customers).

Then, when he was told, albeit a bit roughly, that this was the case, he bashed Flame.

Well - if you are a newbie to a business, and you want help, I'll give it to you - but not if you act like a know-it-all ass.

The OP made a very good post recently, and I have no problem with him. He understood why he got the reception he got. That's why he didn't get help.

Circleville Signs

Yes, we should leave that to the rest of us! :doh:

We should at least leave it to those of us who have been doing this a while.
I've given help to plenty of people on this site - and I've received LOTS of help from people on this site. It is all in how you approach it.

OP didn't approach it well. I'm not saying that anyone should act like a jerk - but sometimes that is the natural response to a newbie who acts like this one did - at least in his first few posts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I said I'd be good for last night, but I didn't say anything about today.................... :tongue:

EPP, there is no reason you need to listen to me or any other member here. You do things the way you see fit. I can only speak for myself, but you DID do the only thing I had requested and for that... I commend you. Thank you for that gesture.

I truly didn't think you were going to ignore these things, once they were pointed out to you, but only you can decide how you want to be viewed on this site. Sometimes the help and critiquing go beyond signs, layout and equipment here at 101. As many have said... this is one big malfunctioning family, but we do stick together. You'll fit in just nicely.

Again, no one is telling you how to run your life, your business or your manners on this site.... just merely pointing out or suggesting some observations..... perhaps harshly, but then again.... those are generally the only kind of hints people tend to acknowledge................ anyway, welcome aboard.

:Welcome:

Graphics2u

I don't know, I just didn't take offense at his slap it on comment. I didn't think it was meant as any kind of slam what so ever. He was asking a question about whether he needed to do something else (such as laminate or whatever) or do I just put it on the substrate.

Circleville,
You even mentioned that his comment could have been intentional or not. So why are people so quick to assume it was intentional and point out everything that he can't and shouldn't do, and even suggest he shouldn't have even bought the printer, instead of just answering the question? It never ceases to amaze me why this happens.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Graphi....

Just to clear things up a little.......... I could care less what he calls the process of applying vinyl or how easy or hard it is.... I was originally referring to his post #13. That's all.

Circleville Signs

I pointed it out because, as I often tell my children, intentions only count when the other person cares about you. The end result of your actions is the same.

Whether he intended to or not, the OP ruffled some feathers. When this occured, instead of initially apologizing for it, he attacked.

That's all i was trying to say.

300mphGraphics

I think name calling has no place on a professional forum and direct attacks on others such as in this thread should not be allowed. Answer someone's question, don't, tell them there's no way something will work, whatever, but name calling is not acceptable, IMO. And a merchant member that does so is not someone I would do business with.

Graphics2u

Gino

I knew it didn't bother you, you were one of the one offering him a welcome.

And obviously #13 had some bite to it. But that was only made in response to Flame's top 4 reasons why He shouldn't be doing this. The OP didn't ask for a critique of why he chose to buy the printer, and obviously he has only marginal experience because he chose to post in the Newbie Forum. He was just defending himself from uncalled for accusation. Something most anyone would do.

I just wonder why it is when a longtime member says something not to nice it's called "a little harsh" but if a newbie does it They are a jerk and they are threatened with never being offered any kind of help in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.