• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Yamaha Yellow ?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You are probably going to have to double strike it to really lay down some ink.

We've done this before and can sometimes be the solution...especially in this case where you need a dense yellow and adding too much Magenta will make it duller.

unclebun

There is a certain part of sign making (or bike graphics making) where you have to put in some time and effort of your own to solve problems like color matching. That's why $15 of materials is actually worth $250 from an established company that is able to make consistent products that are the right color.

You're trying to make yellow that's a little bit deeper in color and slightly "orangier" than pure yellow. Since nobody else is using the same printer with the same ink and the same media and the same profile and the same overlaminate as you, nobody is going to be able to give you a color mix over the internet and have it be a dead on match to some old graphics you pulled off a bike. It's a trial and error process where you have to make color swatches yourself, print them, laminate them, and compare them to what you're trying to match. If you're trying to do it in CMYK, you might start with C0M0Y100K0, and try adding small amounts of M at a time. If it turns orange without getting dark enough, try adding equal amounts of all the other colors and test again. There might be tools somewhere that can help achieve this faster, but rather than sitting around for someone else to solve your problem, just get after it and do it yourself.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is a certain part of sign making (or bike graphics making) where you have to put in some time and effort of your own to solve problems like color matching. That's why $15 of materials is actually worth $250 from an established company that is able to make consistent products that are the right color.

You're trying to make yellow that's a little bit deeper in color and slightly "orangier" than pure yellow. Since nobody else is using the same printer with the same ink and the same media and the same profile and the same overlaminate as you, nobody is going to be able to give you a color mix over the internet and have it be a dead on match to some old graphics you pulled off a bike. It's a trial and error process where you have to make color swatches yourself, print them, laminate them, and compare them to what you're trying to match. If you're trying to do it in CMYK, you might start with C0M0Y100K0, and try adding small amounts of M at a time. If it turns orange without getting dark enough, try adding equal amounts of all the other colors and test again. There might be tools somewhere that can help achieve this faster, but rather than sitting around for someone else to solve your problem, just get after it and do it yourself.

Exactly. Someone else's numbers might get you in a ball park but no printer in the world just prints the exact same color if you input certain CMYK values into it. That's what color profiling is for!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Can anyone tell me how to do this in Versa works ? and also recommend a color code to use ?

Like unclebun said, you need to do some legwork on your end to figure this out. We can all start yelling out cmyk values but that's not a great use of anyone's time.

In regards to double printing, you could try importing the roland color chart and change your overprint to "2" under printer settings. See if that gives you any rich yellows.

autoexebat

Thanks , that is why after a week of trying I asked .. I did try for a good 11 or 12 hours or different colors , laminating , placing into the sun and so on .

Once I couldn't get it , I asked you guys here .

autoexebat

Like unclebun said, you need to do some legwork on your end to figure this out. We can all start yelling out cmyk values but that's not a great use of anyone's time.

In regards to double printing, you could try importing the roland color chart and change your overprint to "2" under printer settings. See if that gives you any rich yellows.

I tried for a week printing many samples before I asked for help .

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I tried for a week printing many samples before I asked for help .
Can you say with confidence that you can create a bright yellow in your design software and print it with your current setup that would be brighter than your target Yamaha yellow color?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Are you familiar with this instructional video?

How to get Spot Color Mapping and Matching in SAi FlexiSIGN

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I've printed ATV graphics for 10 years and never know how to even print a pantone color . , but no I don't have a color book ...
No worries. Do you prefer to work in RGB or CMYK? Also, please tell us the ICC working space profile and file type you're using. Also, the name of the ICC output profile Flexi for this particular print.

autoexebat

No worries. Do you prefer to work in RGB or CMYK? Also, please tell us the ICC working space profile and file type you're using. Also, the name of the ICC output profile Flexi for this particular print.
It doesnt matter RGB or CMYK , as long as I can get a value that is close to it I will be happy . I print from Roland and never mess with Flexi at all ... but I can get more info if needed ?

Here is a picture of my current settings .

Attachments

• icc.jpg
    icc.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 101

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Why not print a pantone chart and just pick a yellow off of it? I do similar stuff to you and nobody is nitpicking it. Also, you will hit it dead on in bright sunlight and then the color will shift in the evening or under different lighting compared to the plastics or paint. It's no different than the oem decals.

autoexebat

Why not print a pantone chart and just pick a yellow off of it? I do similar stuff to you and nobody is nitpicking it. Also, you will hit it dead on in bright sunlight and then the color will shift in the evening or under different lighting compared to the plastics or paint. It's no different than the oem decals.

Sadly I've had to do a few refunds because of this yellow not being close enough.

Is there a certain way to print the Pantone color chart ?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Sadly I've had to do a few refunds because of this yellow not being close enough.

Is there a certain way to print the Pantone color chart ?
Print it the same way you plan to print the decals, same profile, passes, same material etc. I'll get chastised here but if all you print is your own files, you really don't need to worry about profiling to match proper colors. It's the same and easier to just pick colors to match the output you need.
If you change profiles and media and colors are critical then the you should have a chart printed for each profile and media that you use.
Printable charts are floating around here on s101

autoexebat

Thanks I will print out a few Pantone colors and see what I come up with , I just wasnt sure if those got exported differently or not .

As you can see from my print settings I normally print max impact , all of my jobs are RBG or CYMK and I export to PDF