• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Flexi Key on new MAC

H

HSG

Any other Mac people out there? I just got off the phone with Flexi tec support, and they informed me that my new Mac with an Intel Core Duo processor will not work with my Flexi key. I am supposed to call them every week or every other week to see if the manufacturer of the key (Safenet sentinel) has fixed the problem. They think it should be solved in a few months! Has anyone else had to deal with this problem? I always thought the key was annoying. Once you buy the program it should work like Illustrator or Photoshop. I have a lot of money invested in Flexi. Their response was for me to return this computer for a G5. That and 'it's not our problem because we don't make the key'. Neither response was acceptable. I tried to talk to a supervisor and was told he was in a meeting. I have had no other problems with any other software or devices, not even my ancient scanner.

Replicator

Sorry HSG I'm strictly a PC user, but just wanted to let you know
I have enough of my own problems with a PC as well . . . Good Luck !

mbarden

Just curious. Did you review the Mac recomendations from Flexi before you purchased your new Mac? The reason I ask is that I used to be network tech in former life and it's impossible for software manufactures to test every platform.
Mike B

H

HSG

I didn't purchase, it was a gift. Macs have never been a problem with
Flexi. I've been using Flexi on Mac systems for at least 12 years now. It would never have occurred to me to look into it.

Ron Helliar

You may want to try a soft key alternative. I doubt you will be able to find an older new G5 on the shelf as a replacement. And I'd be interested in how you fare as we'll need to upgrade our G5's at some point.

H

HSG

Ron,
I'm not sure what you mean by soft key alternative. I was also under the impression that the intel processor was going to be in all Macs. I just got off the phone with my better half and he reminded me that when I upgraded Flexi last year at the Atlantic city convention, I asked about any problems and told them I was buying a new Mac. I would have bought different cutting software if they would have been up front about this problem. I do all my work in Illustrator anyway.

BobbyFosson

Are their any cutting software packages out their yet that work with Mac OS X and the Intel chips? Maybe a plugin from one of the cutter manufacturers??

Ron Helliar

I don't want to promote a single company but if you google "softkey" you'll find a few options that will convert your key to a software solution. It's considered a bit unethical in some circles but appears to be legal. (for legal orginating licensees)

Last edited:
From what I've heard the problem lays more with Adobe Post Script and the Rip. CS3 is still in beta so you probably won't see anything released for a while to third party software(SAi) requiring Adobe PS code.

Geary

I've been with Apple since Illustrator88. Was so glad when FlexiSign came out for us macHeads. Flexi was MADE for Macs. This is indeed a brand new frustrating development. Wow. Makes me rethink and consider some more phone calls myself as I'm about to purchase a new Mac. I'm presently running LXi (made by Flexi) on my old g4 in classic mode....which works flawlessly.

Hey, HSG, I found this on the SignWarhouse site....see if leads to anything for you..... http://www.signwarehouse.com/suppor...ebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=199&nav=0,39

H

HSG

Geary,

I have no problems with the system software. Flexi works just fine on 10.4 on my G4. Flexi claims it's a problem with the intel processor. Flexi's temporary solution is to keep using my old system. The tech guy said the key maker is working on a solution. I REALLY want to get rid of the old dinosaur. I have a monstrous 22" 50 lb. monitor on my desk and want it to go away. By the way, my kids bought me the new I-Mac and I just love it. I had reservations when I opened it up and saw it was an I-Mac. But it has beautiful picture quality, takes up no space, has a fast processor and a large hard drive. I was angry with Flexi yesterday because they are always very arrogant about their product. There should be a way around the software key (from their end) for legitimate owners of the product. And it is ONLY a key issue. The program is on my computer and loads. It will not work because it doesn't recognize the key. The tech support guy told me that if they didn't protect themselves with a software key I would have to pay $10,000 for their product. I only use Flexi to cut in anyway. I design in Adobe CS products. I just invested quite a bit in the Flexi upgrade so I need a solution.

John Butto

SignCutX2

http://www.whisqu.se/
This cuts your vinyl right from Adobe Illustrator as a plugin. It works on the new Intel Macs as well as the old ones. No dongle and using my Summa D750 Pro it is great. European company and most of the plotters are listed. They will answer any questions you have. I am not affiliated with this company, just been using macs and sign software since the MacPlus.

Geary

Geary,

I have a monstrous 22" 50 lb. monitor on my desk and want it to go away.

Sounds like my LaCie electron22blue. You got one too?

Hope you get a "work-a-round" soon on your software. Somebody's out there with a solution I'm sure. You just have to find the right guy. :thumb:

~Gear

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The move to Intel is a big deal for everyone. I will not get an Intel mac until Adobe CS3 comes out. I have heard that designers who switched too soon had initial problems with Adobe CS2 Suite. I'm glad Mac made the move but it's going to take a while too work the bugs out.

H

HSG

I have no problems with CS2. Photoshop or Illustrator. I have the whole creative suite on this mac. Everything works fine. I even used the migration assistant to transfer all my old files and settings. I didn't have to do a thing. The only problem I've come across is the flexi key. Even my old scanner works.

Geary

HSG,
So, the only reply you got from the Flexi folk is essentially ....'go buy last year's g5'.....instead of actually fixing a workaround for you? That stinks outloud!!
~G.

H

HSG

Oh, and my monitor is the gigantic Apple monitor that came with the G4. It was very expensive when it was new. I just realized I have had that system for at least 5 years. Maybe 6. The scanner is at least 8 years old. And I've been doing this for a living for 22 years. Time flies.

H

HSG

Geary,

I am not very happy with Flexi. They pretty much told me - we have a great product, sorry it's not working for you, too bad.

artsnletters

monitors

Oh, and my monitor is the gigantic Apple monitor that came with the G4. It was very expensive when it was new. I just realized I have had that system for at least 5 years. Maybe 6. The scanner is at least 8 years old. And I've been doing this for a living for 22 years. Time flies.
How true....I just recently replaced my old BIG apple CRT displays with used 20" & 22" apple LCDs, and bought a newer (last & best G4 model)
off e-bay all for some really good prices. All my other computers were acquired thru trades...a really old beige G3 and a graphite G4. When the old stuff still works like a charm- why mess with it. My G3 still runs my plotter and Flexi 5.5 (still the best & easiest version) EVERYDAY. I'd like to buy a version of flexi that will work (like 7.5) in OSX to drive a future printer with. Didn't mean to jack the thread and I hope Flexi takes care of you. You'd think with all the Macs being used in the graphic design industries (not to mention new customers ) that they'd support it better.