• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profanity on wraps???

cgsigns_jamie

Quick question for anyone experienced with this sort of thing...

I've got a customer with a "racy" tag line and includes the word "Sh!t"... would he get in trouble if we put that on his wrap?

TIA

cgsigns_jamie

He's a friend and I didn't want him to get into any more trouble then normal. I had a feeling this would fall under "Freedom of Speech" but just wanted to see if anyone has ever had experience with this sort of thing.

SignManiac

He knows the potential flack he might get from it. If he wants to put it on, then he can deal with the fallout if it should happen. He's the one who will have to explain it to whomever.

Pat Whatley

Not as much as if it said "F*ck the Police"

Had a kid in here 10 years ago who wanted "Feenin' the green leaf" and "F#ck the Police" in his back window. Warned him, he went on a rant about his freedom of speech. Our shop is one block from the police station, half the police force drives past here every shift change.

I lettered the window, the kid pulled out right in front of a cop. Got pulled over and got a ticket within sight of the shop. Drove up the road, within a mile he got pulled over again and got another ticket. By the time he got the third ticket he peeled the letters off his window.

We figured his window lettering ended up costing him about $400.

TheSnowman

As a dad who always has to explain stuff to his kids, driving down the road, just don't do it. If someone can't get their message across w/o profanity, you need to go back to school and take some classes on how to communicate. It's pathetic people have no common sense on "freedom of speech". ESPECIALLY WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT!

If you, or someone who comes into your shop, are one of those people always mad at the cops, I'd say you probably have it coming anyway because you made several bad choices, and apparently keep making them. Most people appreciate what these people do protecting us.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
As a dad who always has to explain stuff to his kids, driving down the road, just don't do it.

i was thinking the same thing...as a parent if i saw profanity in a company's slogan/advertising/etc, i wouldn't deal with them...even if they were the greatest company for it...

profanity is not necessary to get the message across...and this is coming from a compulsive curser

ProWraps

its a tough call. there is a market for every product. my good friend owns http://materialbitch.com

its a niche market. and he makes a KILLER living off it. granted its not on a vehicle in traffic.

this may tell you something as i have offered him to wrap his car for free as we go back years. his response was that he wants NOTHING on his vehicle to do with his site. EVER.

the medium is everything. a website offers anonimity. a car doesnt. ethics aside, do what you have to do to make money. your clients efforts do not reflect your own. you are there to provide a service.

if you didnt believe in god, but a client asked you to wrap their car in a jesus theme, would you object? or are you there to provide a service?

we are all adults. our methods are our own. i dont care what you bring me. its ink and media. if you are a paying customer, ill do what you write a check for me to do. whether or not i will bring it into my life and put it in my portfolio is a different question.

but at the end of the day, im here to provide a service. and im not here to judge or project my ethics or feelings on to you. friend, foe, or customer.

cgsigns_jamie

Thanks guys... I came up with the "tag line" and it fits his business and his personality perfectly. If you read it you would see that it's more of a joke. Plus the actual "tag line" is hidden in the background like a watermark... You don't notice it unless your studying the design.

I'm with most of you in the fact that I don't care what my customers put on their signs/cars. Just figgured I'd post a quick question to see what others may think.

He was comfortable with it on there and that's all that really matters (oh and the check cleared, that's even more important).

Craig Sjoquist

YES ... Florida laws say so ... why would you want your KIDS to see those words however used
WHY in the heck would you even think of doing it .. kinda makes you part of the crime ...THINK

knows that dumb, dumber, and dumbest all live in Florida do not prove it ...

John L

Too little too late but.. I just say NO to many things presented to me. I am a dad too. Morals are on fire, why fuel it more? The money will be quickly forgotten.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have to go along with the minority on this one.

I have ethics and integrity..... and no matter what some punk, friend or customer wants on his sign, truck or banner.... there are certain lines I don't cross because of who I am.... I don't pass the blame of doing something wrong onto my customer and collect money I don't believe in.

If you feel the necessity to cleverly hide it, then you must already know it's wrong.

Why is it.... you don't see things like this out on the streets now ??

thewood

I used to think like you ProWraps until I had two beautiful daughters. They changed everything. I wouldn't want them or any other innocents to see that trash in traffic.

d fleming

Rick (our sheriff) says if his boys see it the car would be stripped on the spot or impounded until wrap is removed.