• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profanity on wraps???

Checkers

With much worse being said and shown in public and on TV/radio/internet, a cuss word on a vehicle would be the least of my worries.

Yes, as Craig S. pointed out, there are laws, but those laws, morally right or wrong, would be overturned if challenged.

Checkers

Circleville Signs

Once again, freedom of speech needs to go along w/ some common sense.

No, it doesn't. That's what makes it "free". I'm one of those dads who is also a compulsive curser. The word sh*% comes out of my mouth, oh, I'd say about 50 times/day. I don't use it anywhere NEAR as much as I do the word fu$%.

I also try my best not to go that in front of my kids, however I do it more than I should. That being said, words are words. When your kids see something like that it becomes a TEACHING opportunity. Explain to them why you believe that it is right/wrong, and how it is a wonderful blessing to live in a society where we are allowed to express ourselves, no matter whether people agree with us or not.

it is not a business's responsibility to engage the morals of my family. That is MY job.

Gary

cgsigns_jamie

No, it doesn't. That's what makes it "free". I'm one of those dads who is also a compulsive curser. The word sh*% comes out of my mouth, oh, I'd say about 50 times/day. I don't use it anywhere NEAR as much as I do the word fu$%.

I also try my best not to go that in front of my kids, however I do it more than I should. That being said, words are words. When your kids see something like that it becomes a TEACHING opportunity. Explain to them why you believe that it is right/wrong, and how it is a wonderful blessing to live in a society where we are allowed to express ourselves, no matter whether people agree with us or not.

it is not a business's responsibility to engage the morals of my family. That is MY job.

Gary
:thankyou: :goodpost:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Once again, freedom of speech needs to go along w/ some common sense.

True, but freedom of speech is absolute with or without common sense.

Common sense dictates that one should be circumspect in these things. Freedom means that circumspect is nice, even admirable, but not necessary. And certainly not enforceable.

As far as the rationalization of 'protecting the children'. From what are you protecting them? What would be the result of exposure of a young mind to a naughty word? Would they run out into traffic? Would their spines curve? Would hair grow on their palms? What?

On a larger and more philosophical note: There exists nothing in all of the external reality that is intrinsically offensive. If something offends you, it is necessarily the case that you have chosen to be offended. It's your choice, you deal with it. As you deal with it, you should understand that it is not reasonable to expect anyone else to alter their behavior to accommodate your choices and prejudices.

Circleville Signs

What if is also YOUR business?

It is my responsibility to run my business in the way that I see fit - according to the ethics and morals that I want to portray.

That is the same responsibility that you have. Personally, I would wrap that car in a heartbeat. I might not put it in my portfolio, but I would do the job. Nothing about it is morally reprehensible or unethical to me.

Gary

Monsterkidz

Whether it is legal or not isn't the issue for me.
I just would ask myself is that the kind of job I want associated with my business?
Based on that i would choose to take or pass on the job.

d fleming

Gotta love the little stoners who want you to put big pot leaves on rear windows too. Ever heard of probable cause little boy?

Tony McD

I would pass on this job too, but I'm sure there are plenty that would do it,
take the money, and not feel bad at all about it.

Just my beliefs and ethics I guess.
Like seeing the sack of nuts hanging from truck hitches.
Not what I want to see around town with my 89 year old mom in the car,
or grandkids.....but I guess it's legal.

A couple years ago, I turned down wrapping a bus for a strip club.
Didn't feel right about doing it, or the chance of losing other customers
that came by the shop while it's getting lettered. I didn't think of it as
I lost money, more like it prevented any collaterial damage and preserved
my regular customer base, which includes the school and several churches.

Ethics vary, and it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

jbennett

Thanks guys... I came up with the "tag line" and it fits his business and his personality perfectly. If you read it you would see that it's more of a joke. Plus the actual "tag line" is hidden in the background like a watermark... You don't notice it unless your studying the design.

Care to share the tag line? Is he in the "poopie" biz?

jbennett

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let me get this straight......... You all know it's illegal technically to put this on a vehicle or anywhere else the public might see this written, just like you can't say the word on radio or television, yet you all say go ahead and do it. :banghead:

Again, you all see the point of it being wrong..... and you can't even write the word in its proper spelling here on 101, but yet you are saying to go ahead and break the law out in the real world. :banghead:

So, what you all are saying is... it's wrong.... and here are my reasons why I would still do it. To me... you're ALL always testing the waters until you find a nice little warm spot and then you'll all jump in there to find out it's still wrong and you're not any better off giving up your standards just for a quick buck. :covereyes:

The heck with making a buck.... it's my morals and integrity that make me who I am.... not what I can cleverly hide behind like an apron and say... see, I did it..... nah nah- nah nah-nah nah nah~nah :rolleyes:

You're the same people that think you can take a pencil or squeegee home from work and not return it and still not call it stealing. You're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. :ROFLMAO:

DOGraphics

\]..... and you can't even write the word in its proper spelling here on 101, ...

hypocrites. :ROFLMAO:

I could have if I wanted to. Really, cause you know **** happens.

ask Forest Gump

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Diaz

I have to go along with the minority on this one.

I have ethics and integrity..... and no matter what some punk, friend or customer wants on his sign, truck or banner.... there are certain lines I don't cross because of who I am.... I don't pass the blame of doing something wrong onto my customer and collect money I don't believe in.

If you feel the necessity to cleverly hide it, then you must already know it's wrong.

Why is it.... you don't see things like this out on the streets now ??

I totally agree. My rule of thumb would be, if you have to ask whether or not you can get away with something like this, then that is a good sign that you probably should avoid doing it. But that's me.

A job is a job, you don't have to do them all. If you lose a job because you are uncomfortable doing it, then that just frees up time to pursue something else that you can feel comfortable working on.

Really putting profanity on your advertising is just not very bright. I mean if this customer runs into a sign company that won't include the word $#!? on his or her wrap, maybe he or she will come to the conclusion that they will run into even more potential clients that won't do business with him or her for that reason. So I guess it depends on how you view your business. Are you in business to help your customers be successful in exchange for money? or are you in business to just make money no matter what? Would you break every design rule in the book if the customer asked you to? or would try to convince them that a better design is better for business?

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Let me get this straight......... You all know it's illegal technically to put this on a vehicle or anywhere else the public might see this written, just like you can't say the word on radio or television, yet you all say go ahead and do it...

Illegal? Just what law is being broken? Some provincial ordinance of someone's tribal elders that would instantly crumble under first amendment scrutiny?

Moreover, there's no law being broken by uttering certain sounds on radio or television. There are only possible violations the various policies and restrictions of the licensing agency. Shout out any of Carlin's seven words on the air and all manner of things might or might not happen to you but one of them is not criminal prosecution.

d fleming

Let me get this straight......... You all know it's illegal technically to put this on a vehicle or anywhere else the public might see this written, just like you can't say the word on radio or television, yet you all say go ahead and do it. :banghead:
Again, you all see the point of it being wrong..... and you can't even write the word in its proper spelling here on 101, but yet you are saying to go ahead and break the law out in the real world. :banghead:
So, what you all are saying is... it's wrong.... and here are my reasons why I would still do it. To me... you're ALL always testing the waters until you find a nice little warm spot and then you'll all jump in there to find out it's still wrong and you're not any better off giving up your standards just for a quick buck. :covereyes:

The heck with making a buck.... it's my morals and integrity that make me who I am.... not what I can cleverly hide behind like an apron and say... see, I did it..... nah nah- nah nah-nah nah nah~nah :rolleyes:

You're the same people that think you can take a pencil or squeegee home from work and not return it and still not call it stealing. You're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. :ROFLMAO:

:goodpost:

Joe Diaz

Since tv and radio were brought up by bob, I thought I would post this:

It is a violation of federal law to air obscene programming at any time. It is also a violation of federal law to broadcast indecent or profane programming during certain hours. (See definitions}. Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) the responsibility for administratively enforcing the law that governs these types of broadcasts. The FCC has authority to issue civil monetary penalties, revoke a license or deny a renewal application. In addition, violators of the law, if convicted in a federal district court, are subject to criminal fines and/or imprisonment for not more than two years.

The FCC vigorously enforces this law where we find violations. In 2004 alone, the FCC took action in 12 cases, involving hundreds of thousands of complaints, assessing penalties and voluntary payments totaling approximately $8,000,000. The Commission has also toughened its enforcement penalties by proposing monetary penalties based on each indecent utterance in a broadcast, rather than proposing a single monetary penalty for the entire broadcast.

At the same time, however, the Commission is careful of First Amendment protections and the prohibitions on censorship and interference with broadcasters' freedom of speech. The FCC has denied complaints in cases in which we determined the broadcast was not indecent based on the overall context of the programming. Regardless of the outcome, the FCC strives to address every complaint within 9 months of its receipt.

www.fcc.gov/

The question would be: is signage or other advertising subject to similar laws?