• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proper vinyl for drywall?

mekazilla

I have a few logos to put up in a boardroom and retail store. I've been reading about different vinyls peeling and falling off painted drywall.
These will be cut vinyl not printed and latex paint is typical.
I use Mactac 9800 primarily. Will that work or is there always a risk of vinyl peeling within the year on drywall?
thanks

ChicagoGraphics

A few years ago I did some lettering on a wall and it's still on the wall, I used Calon promo-gloss at the time now it's called series 5000.

Checkers

3M has a method of testing to insure proper adhesion of vinyl materials. It requires some time, a scale and several strips of test material to see what would work best. The scale is available through fellers.com and is on page 39 of their catalog.

Checkers

mnapuran

I've used Permacast before, but in a hot room, it does seem to start lifting a bit after about 3-4 years.

high impact

Oracal 631 will work just fine. If you are really concerned use 651 but don't plan on reusing the drywall later after removal without some patch work. ;-)

OldPaint

ITS NOT THE DRYWALL...but the paint on the DRYWALL..you need to worry about.
if its FLAT LATEX... i dont think anything will stick.
SEMI GLOSS is better.
HIGH GLOSS IS BEST...

FatCat

I did some lettering earlier this spring for a church on semi-gloss. I used Oracal 651 and hit it with a heat gun after application. Still holding up good, though I warned them that if they repaint in a few years they'll probably have to do some work with a mud knife. :Big Laugh

mekazilla

ITS NOT THE DRYWALL...but the paint on the DRYWALL..you need to worry about.
if its FLAT LATEX... i dont think anything will stick.
SEMI GLOSS is better.
HIGH GLOSS IS BEST...

good point, thanks.
I'm planning on using paintmask now and just painting them to avoid any peeling issues. Then we're not limited to vinyl colors as well.

iSign

Will that work or is there always a risk of vinyl peeling within the year on drywall?

ITS NOT THE DRYWALL...but the paint on the DRYWALL..you need to worry about...

Thank you Old Paint!! ...I was waiting for some common sense...
Of course there is always a risk!! ...painted dryway is a very vague description and just because people did something to painted drywall once.... doesn't mean you will get the same results if you do it too... even if you use the same vinyl.

I did lettering that was up for 10 years at out mall...

...but I also flew to another island to put 100 feet of printed floral bands on office walls... & ended up flying back with my installer to do the entire job again because 3651 didn't stick due to it's unconformability, and the rough surface texture I was told wouldn't be there.

My case here is an unusual one & I really take the blame for a bad material choice, but people here suggesting 651 would have been screwed on this job too.

high impact

Isign,

You are correct in regards to the paint and the surface texture.

Printed floral bands and die cut lettering is completely different so you are wrong in suggesting that 651 will not work.

When questions like this are answered there is usually too much information missing to connect ALL the dots with regards to ALL the variables. To intend to do so would cut down on the number of replies. The answers provided are rarely considered complete. It's the nature of the forum beast and I don't believe for one second that your universal statement claiming that the OP would be screwed using 651 is true.

iSign

Isign,

Printed floral bands and die cut lettering is completely different so you are wrong in suggesting that 651 will not work.

...I don't believe for one second that your universal statement claiming that the OP would be screwed using 651 is true.

A.) I already know different things are different, but thanks anyway.
B.) I ain't wrong on anything I wrote here!

I don't think you understood what you're calling my "universal statement"

My case here is an unusual one & I really take the blame for a bad material choice, but people here suggesting 651 would have been screwed on this job too.

...in fact, there was nothing universal about it. When I start a sentance with "My case", I'm only talking about my case, (which was printed floral bands, on a textured wall), and when I end the same sentence saying anyone using 651 "would have been screwed on this job too", I'm talking about the same job I was screwed on... hence the word "too"

While we're at it though... texture or not, I would never use 651 on a latex painted wall, if I could use cast vinyl, & I would never suggest that anyone else use it.

New Guy

I seem to be having increasing issues with getting vinyl to stick to latex paint. Some paints, it's no problem, but if it's fresh paint, it's almost always been a problem for me. In all the numerous phone calls I've made to various vendors for support, almost everyone of them tells me the same thing- paint is changing fast these days and there is a increasing number of paint products (latex) that have silicone in them. It apparently adds some desirable property to the paint and makes it more durable.

Adding that product to the paint (which isn't noted anywhere obvious), has been causing me problems for about a year now. I'm told that the paint manufacturers are not rolling these new formulations out as new products, they are just modifying existing paints, which explains why the product I used a year ago produced great results and now doesn't.

I have no idea how true this is, but it's what I have been told by multiple tech support people and when I have contacted paint manufacturers, they have confirmed their products did have silicone in them.

Maybe someone else can confirm/deny this.

cgsigns_jamie

I have always been told to only apply vinyl to walls that have been painted with enamel based paints. We've never had any issues with enamel paint and cast vinyl.

Albion

We use Avery's MPI 2601, it's a great vinyl and it's removable if the wall was properly painted c/w primer.

Techman

I've been applying regular old calendared and cast vinyl to latex painted walls for years. dozons of jobs in all types of locations. Yes, some latex will not let a vinyl stick at all Recently I did one job that the vinyl wouldn't stick as if there was no sticky on the vinyl at all.. But, that has happened only once in all the years I've done latex painted walls. And there was nothing I could do to fix it.

I just did two separate jobs using plain calendared vinyl on freshly painted latex which sticks just fine. However, when defining stick there is a wide range of sticking. If you expect the sticky to act like a car door or a glass panel you will be disappointed. It will not stick so tight that it takes a heat gun to remove it. But it will stick tight enuf to lightly remove some paint.

Like OP says, it is better to have at last semi gloss latex, However the last job was painted with plain old flat latex on an inside commercial wall and it afixed just fine.

A very light texture is ok.. anything more than a very light texture will bring some pain. No need to use soem high priced materials. No need for any special prep work. Just a clean smooth wall will do fine.

their products did have silicone in them

I have never seen that. All one has to do is lookup a MSDS sheet and see ...