• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions I'm tired of hearing

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Customer: I know you don't have all the details, but can you ballpark me a price. I won't hold you to it.

Me: around $125

two weeks later

Me: now that we know the size and material, your sign will cost $145

Customer: I thought you said it was going to be $125

laserman70

Today......
Told a guy it would be around the $300 mark.
Figured it all out....
It came to $320.
Didnt you say it was $300?

Tony McD

We are almost out and need more...just call when you have them ready.
Call the next day and tell them they are ready.
Five weeks later they still haven't picked them up.

Custom_Grafx

Customer: I know you don't have all the details, but can you ballpark me a price. I won't hold you to it.

Me: around $125

two weeks later

Me: now that we know the size and material, your sign will cost $145

Customer: I thought you said it was going to be $125

haha I love that.

I told some guy the other day his rough quote...

"ummm anywhere between $80 and $3000. Is that rough enough for you?"

Pat Whatley

Can we see a copy of your phone bill. Yes, they walk in and almost demand to see it so they can show me how they will save me money.

Usually show up in twos for moral support or intimidation.

Scan your phone bill into Photoshop, adjust the figures until it's running you about $20 per month. Let them try to beat that.

Marlene

I had someone who wanted me to do all of their vector conversions for $6, sight unseen

you must also get a ton of "can you make this into a vector, it is .25" high at a resoultion of 16 dpi???" (sorry for all those I sent to you at that!;)

RebeckaR

How much do you charge for 4 inch letters? I need a sign with 32 4" letters.

I always ask if I get to pick which letters.

petepaz

another good one i have had while installing having other employees of the place you are lettering their trucks come out and ask:

how much do you get paid?
are you hiring?
i can't stand working here no more

sbtdover

We are almost out and need more...just call when you have them ready.
Call the next day and tell them they are ready.
Five weeks later they still haven't picked them up.
i absolutely hate when this happens :|

them - "I have x amount of signs i need by the end of the week and i will come pick them up on friday. can you do this?"
me - "sure, that shouldn't be a problem."
them - "awesome. thanks! see you on friday."
me - *calls them thursday to let them know the signs are ready for pickup*
them - *doesn't show up for two weeks to pick up the signs they needed for the end of the week two weeks ago*

questions/scenarios i also hate mainly due to the fact that our store name is Signs By Tomorrow.

them - "i need this sign tomorrow. is it possible for me to get it tomorrow?"
me - "i can have a proof of the sign to you by tomorrow if you put a 50% deposit down."
them - "isn't your company name signs by tomorrow?"
me - "yes, it is"
them - "well why can't i get it tomorrow then?"
me - "because we have other customers that have already paid in full and are ahead of you in line waiting for their signs. i can bump you ahead of those customers but there will be a rush charge of x amount to do that."
them - "nevermind. i don't need the sign that bad."

"what's your cheapest sign?"

them - "i have a truck that i need graphics on. can you give me a ballpark for that?"
me - "do you have the truck with you?"
them - "no."
me - "well without the truck here to get measurements and such it would be hard to give you an amount."
them - "just give me a ballpark."
me - "it will probably be about $500."
them - "really? hmm, that's pretty high. ok, thanks."

SignaramaFL

I think the one i hate the most is

"Its *just* a sign all you have to do, is print it and put it on that plastic stuff, cant you do better with that price"

I cringe when a customer says this.

Gene@mpls

Customer calls without identifying themselves and asks if their sign/decal/sticker/print/whatever is done.

When told their sign is done... they ask 'how does it look?' If I know them
fairly well, I tell them- looks like crap for a double take.

Custom_Grafx

Can you squash the text more without making it look squashed?... especially asked when all measures have already been taken to already do so.

And of course...

Can't you just stretch it?

klemgraphics

Can you give me an estimate on my car? (I used to help my dad at his bodyshop) No go up the road 1/2 mile. I bet I get one of these every week for sure and I've been in this shop for 3 years!

Pat Whatley

Not exactly a question but it just happened again and made me think of it...

Phone caller: "We guarantee you we can save you money on your business phone bill."

Me: Really!? Sweet! But what is the guarantee? If I give you my phone bill and it turns out that you can't save me money what are you going to give me? Tell you what....I'll send it, if you can't save me money you have to buy me a live monkey. Deal?!

Phone caller: "CLICK"

CES020

You're going to satisfy me with that...?

Oh, you meant sign related things you hate to hear....my bad.....