Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet CNC?

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by adamfilip, May 8, 2011.

1. adamfilip

adamfilip Member

Apr 28, 2009
    this is probably a silly question.

I am trying to find the quietest solution for a CNC plus quiet options for the Vacuum Table and Chip Collection.

Assuming it couldn't go outside of the building

anyone have any advise or recommendations on quiet products?

Tags:
  2. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    get a quiet spindle...
    But even then the cutter will make noise when hogging.

3. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    The loudest element is the vacuum hold down pump. I built a room around mine and then sound proofed it. That made a huge difference. No getting around some of the materials you will be cutting, the noises can vary from a dull loud to ear piercing. You might want to invest in a pair of good ear muffs.

4. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Two good answers above.

I'll second the spindle option. That makes a world of difference over a router.

5. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    i use a hitachi router,, about half the noise of the porter cable router.. So quit that running idle needs no muffs.

6. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Maniac, do you control the temperature in the pump room?
    I went with a similar approach, but I had my compressor in the same room, and even after installing an exhaust fan, AND the heat exhaust was ducted up out of the building, I had sustained temps over 100 degrees, and began noticing premature fan belt failure on new compressor, as well as clues the compressor motor was also suffering in that heat...

Besides 2 additional fans in that room, I also knocked out half a wall and gave in to the noise, to bring the heat down. (at least it's on the second floor, so not bad when I'm down on the first with the Multicam... Now the tool in the material is usually the loudest sound...

7. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Which Hitachi do you run, Tech? Doing a quicky search it looks like most of the new models would be a pain to reduce to just the motor assembly.

8. daveb

daveb General Know-it-all

Feb 11, 2010
    Quincy, IL
    We set our compressor outside (fortunately our router room is against a exterior wall) and piped it in. Can't even hear it when it's running. And the Perske spindle is really quiet compared to our old PC router motor.

9. WB

WB Active Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Canada
    We have our Air Compressor, Compressor for our Vacuum hold down and our ShopVac for dust collection all in 1 room.. I wear ear protection when I go in. When it's gets hot I open the bay door. I'm not sure how this will work in the dead of summer.

10. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
  11. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida

Doug sorry I didn't see your questions sooner. I haven't had a need to control the temperature at all. I've been using this setup for the past five years now. Outside of doing routine maintenance, changing pump oil, greasing, and keeping the air filter clean. Everything seems fine. I know the temp must get pretty hot inside. Florida during the summer is hot anyway and then all the heat inside the small room adds to that as well.

Here's a shot with the door open. The door does have an open space at the bottom to help circulate the air inside. I don't even have the exhaust going outside. So far so good.

Attached Files:

12. theskipman_98

theskipman_98 Member

May 14, 2007
    I second this. We have some type of a dual turbine vacuum hold down. The problem was the noise and heat on its exhaust side. We originally had it ducted into the shop with us, but we ended up rerouting it to a 4 " pvc pipe and put it through the wall. Note if you do this put rat wire on the outside opening. The noise now is 1/2 what it use to be, but we missed the heat off of it this past winter.

13. bachaar

bachaar Member

Jul 18, 2011
    please i have cnc machine max w1325 v with dsp controle
    when i strat machine
    there B in the screen of dsp i press ok , screen appears go home
    i press home the all axis move very speedily in the origine point after this all the all keys in the keyboard of the dsp don't work

please i need your help