• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random Next Day Bubbles

TheSnowman

I just did a giant order for the local marina and everything was done and looked good until today I came in and noticed basically every single sign of probably the 75 signs we did has these random bubbles in it.

Everything was good when I laid it down, it was on air release vinyl, and brand new max metal. The crazy thing now is, they don’t even come out. It’s like it lost its air release. Never seen anything like it in 15 years. Anyone have any theories? It was the same temp in the room the entire time. Hoping I don’t have to re-do the entire order.

Might have to look hard in the pictures but I did the best I could in my lighting to see it.

C8AF7BF1-4513-47D4-B75A-BD12F1E1273B.jpeg
15CF7CB3-5263-47F3-BE8C-471BBC1B4B51.jpeg

TheSnowman

HP Latex 310. Avery Intermediate Air Release, and Arlon Calendered Laminate. Same combo I've been using for years with zero issues. Actually, these same rolls have been used for a couple weeks and zero other issues. Laid down with a big squeegee.

bannertime

Did the MaxMetal still have their plastic sheeting before application? What did you use to clean the panels? Did you ever touch the adhesive?

TheSnowman

Max Metal had their normal plastic on it that they always do, but I haven't ever in 15 years cleaned it before applying anything. Didn't touch the adhesive in any way. Laid it down removing the liner as I went. Humidity was my thought, but literally it's been the same weather since I laid them down.

I didn't know rather to just maybe hit it with heat, or hope that something happens in the next couple days that they go away.

The non-air release part is the baffling part. I've never seen an air release vinyl become non-air release.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many times, this comes from not enough pressure being used when applying the vinyl onto the substrate. What looks and appears to be totally flat, will yield little bubbles all over the place a day or so later..... even a few hours later, they might start to show up. I'd apply heat.... and a lot of it, and use a lotta elbow grease. There's no quick fix for this.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Max Metal had their normal plastic on it that they always do, but I haven't ever in 15 years cleaned it before applying anything. Didn't touch the adhesive in any way. Laid it down removing the liner as I went. Humidity was my thought, but literally it's been the same weather since I laid them down.

I didn't know rather to just maybe hit it with heat, or hope that something happens in the next couple days that they go away.

The non-air release part is the baffling part. I've never seen an air release vinyl become non-air release.

I never have either...That's interesting. I too will follow this thread. Applying a bunch of 3M air-release to maxmetal as we speak.

I second what Gino says about not enough pressure. I've had non-airrelase bubble up after being hit with the sun the first time...

TimToad

You don't wipe the panels with alcohol or wax remover/degreaser?

While not an adhesive, the masking definitely leaves some kind of residue or contaminants on the surface.

TheSnowman

Nope, never once in 15 years have I ever done it. I did another 4X8 on the exact same day and it still looks ship shape normal.

You don't wipe the panels with alcohol or wax remover/degreaser?

While not an adhesive, the masking definitely leaves some kind of residue or contaminants on the surface.

petepaz

we always clean with alcohol just to be safe. that is weird though. did you try poking with a needle or point of a blade and try and work it out that way?
do you have a laminator you can run them through. maybe heat and a few passes through the laminator will

equippaint

Am I the only one that doesn't squeegee after mounting with a laminator? Sometimes I hit the edges but not always and haven't had any problems. It does make me a touch nervous though

TheSnowman

Well, believe it or not, I don't own a laminator. 75% of what we do is temporary auction signs that we have to lay down by hand because the edges of them are beat up from transport, so I've just always laid them down with the big squeegee. It's never failed me, so I'm just trying to figure out what's up. I'm going to spend some time on them tomorrow and see what I can do with some heat, but not looking forward to this. Of course it happened on my largest order I've had in a while.

TimToad

Am I the only one that doesn't squeegee after mounting with a laminator? Sometimes I hit the edges but not always and haven't had any problems. It does make me a touch nervous though

No, you are not the only one. It would seem to be waste of effort given the superior pressure and evenness of machine mounting. We'll bray the edges with a roller, but the whole idea of using the laminator is that its superior to hand mounted for the afore mentioned reasons.

I just did a giant order for the local marina and everything was done and looked good until today I came in and noticed basically every single sign of probably the 75 signs we did has these random bubbles in it.

Everything was good when I laid it down, it was on air release vinyl, and brand new max metal. The crazy thing now is, they don’t even come out. It’s like it lost its air release. Never seen anything like it in 15 years. Anyone have any theories? It was the same temp in the room the entire time. Hoping I don’t have to re-do the entire order.

Might have to look hard in the pictures but I did the best I could in my lighting to see it.

View attachment 140293 View attachment 140294
Did you laminate them?