Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recomended 4x8 acrylic for cabinet

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cleanmywound, Jan 20, 2008.

1. cleanmywound

cleanmywound Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hello signs 101,
    I need help.

I am new to the sign biz., (mostly into small vinyl car graphics, vehicle lettering, etc.).
    I was commissioned to do a back lit 4' x 8' cabinet sign, white, translucent.

I was wondering what would be the proper substrate for this?
    I have found Plexi in 3/16", would this be good enough?
    The cabinet has 1" rails(?), and is 6" deep, sitting 16' high to the bottom of the sign.

I guess my question is, would 3/16" Plexi be rigid enough?

Thanks for any input!!

Adam

Tags:
  2. rockz12

rockz12 Specializing in the strange and unusual

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    That would be fine! Make sure you get a sign white plexi 7328.

3. austinmultimedia

austinmultimedia Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Can you use clea plexi??? Well, I have used clear in the past, what are theh problems disadvantages of using clear?

Chris

4. rockz12

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    With clear plexi you will have to print on a translucent vinyl which is pretty expensive. If the plexi is translucent (sign white) you can print direct to or double strike clear material and apply. Either way you are going to need a diffuser or you will see the lights.

5. cleanmywound

cleanmywound Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks rock12

6. austinmultimedia

austinmultimedia Member

Nov 10, 2007
    I didnt even notice that... It's true, I was wondering why the light was showing through my acrylics.,, Cause of the clear acrylic I used. Anyways, what is cheaper, clear vinyl or normal vinyl?

Chris

7. rockz12

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    You can't use normal vinyl it has to be translucent... That is more expensive than clear.

8. austinmultimedia

austinmultimedia Member

Nov 10, 2007
    what i mean is can i use clear vinyl ontop of white acrylic, would that work???

9. rockz12

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    On top of sign white? Yes that would work perfect. Double strike when printing!!

10. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Your out of your element. This job is more complicated than you are ready to handle.

Find another sign dude and colaberate with each other.

11. rockz12

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Out of your element Donny!

12. austinmultimedia

austinmultimedia Member

Nov 10, 2007
    What does double strike mean?

13. rockz12

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Most rips have a double strike option it will print twice the ink for backlit applications

14. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    What would double strike in Flexi be called? I am printing on translucent white and it's looking kinda washed out when lit up.

15. Davidson Signs

Davidson Signs Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Has 1" retainers.

I agree with the double striking on the printing.

How are you going to install that? Not really a ladder job since the OAH is 20'.

16. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    and your getting bad advice also (at the very least, shall we say partial advice). If you talking 4x8, maybe someone should mention PAN FACE also?

Plexi....no no no

17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Follow the information from some of these posters if you wish, but it doesn’t sound as if they know either. The answers so far are based on one approach and you won’t do anyone any favors by using those methods.

If this sign is double sided, the 3/16” plexi will never work…. clear, white or otherwise.
    If it’s single-sided, I would recommend a poly carb.
    1” lip is very small for that size and you need something that won’t contract and expand as quickly.
    Again, if double sided….a 6” can is too narrow for flat faces without getting hot spots. You’ll need a pan face.

White Lexan or poly carb with translucent vinyl is your best approach. Using these materials will wear and look good far longer than digitally printing your face.

A little more information on your part would help and therefore probably prevent so many wrong answers. Without certain key information, you’ll get answers all over the place.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  18. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    White sign-grade acrylic 3/16" thk works well, but Lexan (brand name of polycarbonate) is better. Still, depends on some details you've not provided.

19. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Also, a flat face over time will get that attractive "bow" shape in the middle on a 4x8.

20. gators2001

gators2001 Member

Jul 30, 2006
    this needs to be panned and don't put a digital print on a sign never seen one look right. Use translucent vinyl if you don't know how to paint acrylic use white.