• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

recomended 4x8 acrylic for cabinet

cleanmywound

Hello signs 101,
I need help.

I am new to the sign biz., (mostly into small vinyl car graphics, vehicle lettering, etc.).
I was commissioned to do a back lit 4' x 8' cabinet sign, white, translucent.

I was wondering what would be the proper substrate for this?
I have found Plexi in 3/16", would this be good enough?
The cabinet has 1" rails(?), and is 6" deep, sitting 16' high to the bottom of the sign.

I guess my question is, would 3/16" Plexi be rigid enough?

Thanks for any input!!

Adam

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
With clear plexi you will have to print on a translucent vinyl which is pretty expensive. If the plexi is translucent (sign white) you can print direct to or double strike clear material and apply. Either way you are going to need a diffuser or you will see the lights.

I didnt even notice that... It's true, I was wondering why the light was showing through my acrylics.,, Cause of the clear acrylic I used. Anyways, what is cheaper, clear vinyl or normal vinyl?

Chris

rockz12

You can't use normal vinyl it has to be translucent... That is more expensive than clear.

rockz12

On top of sign white? Yes that would work perfect. Double strike when printing!!

Techman

Your out of your element. This job is more complicated than you are ready to handle.

Find another sign dude and colaberate with each other.

rockz12

Most rips have a double strike option it will print twice the ink for backlit applications

John L

What would double strike in Flexi be called? I am printing on translucent white and it's looking kinda washed out when lit up.

Davidson Signs

Hello signs 101,
I need help.

I am new to the sign biz., (mostly into small vinyl car graphics, vehicle lettering, etc.).
I was commissioned to do a back lit 4' x 8' cabinet sign, white, translucent.

I was wondering what would be the proper substrate for this?
I have found Plexi in 3/16", would this be good enough?
The cabinet has 1" rails(?), and is 6" deep, sitting 16' high to the bottom of the sign.

I guess my question is, would 3/16" Plexi be rigid enough?
Has 1" retainers.

I agree with the double striking on the printing.

How are you going to install that? Not really a ladder job since the OAH is 20'.

skyhigh

Your out of your element. This job is more complicated than you are ready to handle.

and your getting bad advice also (at the very least, shall we say partial advice). If you talking 4x8, maybe someone should mention PAN FACE also?

Plexi....no no no

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Follow the information from some of these posters if you wish, but it doesn’t sound as if they know either. The answers so far are based on one approach and you won’t do anyone any favors by using those methods.

If this sign is double sided, the 3/16” plexi will never work…. clear, white or otherwise.
If it’s single-sided, I would recommend a poly carb.
1” lip is very small for that size and you need something that won’t contract and expand as quickly.
Again, if double sided….a 6” can is too narrow for flat faces without getting hot spots. You’ll need a pan face.

White Lexan or poly carb with translucent vinyl is your best approach. Using these materials will wear and look good far longer than digitally printing your face.

A little more information on your part would help and therefore probably prevent so many wrong answers. Without certain key information, you’ll get answers all over the place.

Last edited:

ChiknNutz

White sign-grade acrylic 3/16" thk works well, but Lexan (brand name of polycarbonate) is better. Still, depends on some details you've not provided.

gators2001

this needs to be panned and don't put a digital print on a sign never seen one look right. Use translucent vinyl if you don't know how to paint acrylic use white.