• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

recomended 4x8 acrylic for cabinet

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Also, a flat face over time will get that attractive "bow" shape in the middle on a 4x8.

Well........ not exactly. Not if you use bumpers. Strategically placed, you won't get a bow and you have half a chance of them not blowing out with that little 1" lip using bumpers.

skyhigh

Well........ not exactly. Not if you use bumpers. Strategically placed, you won't get a bow and you have half a chance of them not blowing out with that little 1" lip using bumpers.

That is true Gino...but I think we will agree that flat on a 4x8 dosen't look very good. Also with a 1" lip, them babies are getting sucked out without the "bumpers".

Now I'll let you explain "bumpers" to adam. (I'm guessing you are referring to what I call "hangers"?)

EDIT oops, I guess you allready covered "sucked out"

Last edited:

cleanmywound

Hi all,
Thanks for the advise. Bumpers?
Here is a picture of the old sign, when I pulled it out to check it, it was 1/8" thick, and not panned, no hangers, nothing, just slid right in.
I am gonna use oracal 8500.
DSC01648.jpg
[/IMG]
Thanks,
Adam

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, if that's a 4' x 8' cabinet..... that looks more like a 2" lip around that.

You shouldn't need any bumpers in that. Save that for another day. No, it's not a hanging bar, either.

Techman

Printing is stupid. It will fade in no time at all. Look at it. ITs a sun facing vertical panel.

The red is faded bad in this photo.

Bad selection of media does nothing for your reputation. Like I said above. You are not ready for this. What amount of money are you getting for this job? $150 bux?

cleanmywound

TECHMAN,
I'm not printing, cut Oracal 8500.

The Picture is faded, because its a pic of the OLD sign, this is why they are replacing it.

$1300.00 + $300 install was the estimate that was agreed to, if you must know.

I was looking for advise on the substrate, if you must flame go ahead, but I am asking for advise because this is the first time I have done this.

GINO--
Yes its a 4x8' cabinet, those blocks are 8" blocks. 12 bloks @ 0.67=8.04 or 8' 1/2" trust me, thats how I measured it ( I don't like those darn extension ladders:) + you're right about the lip looking like its 2" but, man, I swear I measured 1". (I actually did climb the latter to measure it vertically, lip and margins.)
And when I pulled it out it was THIN 1/8" flimsy!!

I am installing with a Hi-Lo with a cage on the forks.

Thanks again for all your help,
Adam

Sign Works

Good googely moogely, where the heck is Almont, I think I'm movin my shop, $1,300 for a basic acrylic replacement face & $300 for a 5 minute install, hey don't get me wrong I love your pricing just wouldn't be able to get half that here, lately I've been loosing bids like these at $20 per sq ft, course I'm bidding against these idiots that will use .125" acrylic and standard calendered vinyl on backlit faces, I see this all the time, these things look like crap at night and I guess the customers don't have a clue or plain just don't care. :rolleyes:

cleanmywound

Sign Works,

I didn't mention that there are 2 signs to do at that price.
So 2(4x8x20)=$1280.

Thanks,
Adam

ps if I could get 1300/4x8 I sure would do it :)

cleanmywound

Call me Private Pyle, but, any other suggestions for the substrate.
All I an find local is sign white translucent plexi, in 0.1875x4x8.
Otherwise I have to ship them in at around $150 for shipping!?

onesource

Use white plex or lexan if you're applying vinyl, if using clear cut graphics in reverse, apply and backspray with gripflex or something......printing this job would be ridiculous.
Plex will be fine for a 4x8, but that can don't look deep enough for a flat face. A panface will diffuse light better and look more professional and would really be the only way to go. If the customer does not want to pay for pans then you must tell them they will see the bulbs when lit and write it in your contract.