• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations - Graphtec CE5000-60 vs Roland Camm-1 Servo GX-24

We are really not happy with the EasyCut EC-24 we got from Ordway Sign Supply nor their Customer Service...

Maybe it was/is the learning curve associated with our first vinyl cutter, but I feel that we can do much better with a more advanced and name brand cutter/plotter and a local distributor...

Am looking at the Graphtec CE5000-30 or the Roland Camm-1 Servo GX-24...

We will be using the cutter to cut text on an almost daily basis for the phrases that customers want on Lawn Greetings signs and in the future, will be using it to cut different graphics/shapes to make our own "critters". For example - A Buzzard - The diifferent colors/shapes to create it on coroplast...

What would your recommendation be??? Both have the Digital Servo Motor...The EasyCut does not, so how does this benefit the process??? The EasyCut just has rollers that feed the vinyl back and forth and our main problem was/is the vinyl shifting left or right under the rollers...It even happens sometimes since we got the stand and media center...

Is it really the hardware or is it the software that is most important...

Any recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated...

Mike...

Jackpine

Graphtec CE5000-30! You won't be sorry. There are a few other thread on the forum about this choice. I had a GX-24 for 3 months and sold it and got a Graphtec CE3000Mk2. Great cutter for the money and it contour cuts printed graphics with great accuracy.

TrustedImages

You will see a huge difference in the quality of the cut between the stepper and the servo. I personally like the Graphtec over the Roland but you will find others on here who will disagree with me.

gvgraphics

You can also use the search feature of this forum to find the answers you are looking for. This topic has been discussed multiple times.

But I have to agree with jackpine, graphtec is a good machine.

BobbyFosson

Cutter brands are just like car makers... Everyone is has their own preferences while all (almost all) makes function.

I prefer the Graphtec due to simplicity and experience. Very simple to setup and very reliable.

One thing to consider, Roland parts are normally a bit cheaper (consumable parts).

Bottom line, each will serve you very well.

njsigns

I have personally been "loyal" to Roland, mainly because I have been happy with how they perform. I started out with a 15" Stika, then a PC-12, then a GX-24, and now an SP-300V.

I will say the GX-24 can have issues with tracking on long runs - usually on 10+ ft lengths, which can be corrected with a little patience and logic. This is the only downfall I can think of. Other than that the machine works flawlessly and exactly like I'd expect.

I will also say when I was ready to move on to the "next thing", my Roland machines have kept a high resale value. I personally don't know much about the graphtec, but I thought I'd share my experience with the Roland.

Gene

TrustedImages

Cutter brands are just like car makers... Everyone is has their own preferences while all (almost all) makes function.

I prefer the Graphtec due to simplicity and experience. Very simple to setup and very reliable.

One thing to consider, Roland parts are normally a bit cheaper (consumable parts).

Bottom line, each will serve you very well.

That's what I say all the time! When a potential customer asks me what's better Graphtec or Roland? My response is always what's better Ford or Chevy?

Techman

And just like cars there are negatives too. One car fits you price wise. One car fits you operational wise.
Personally I would pick one that has the best operational fit. Just as the poster her efound ,, his previous cuter doesnt fit him.

Summa is a great choice too. We shouldn't forget the summa.. Operational fits is outstanding.

BobbyFosson

ALL machines have their PROs and CONs. Roland is a marketing guru and spend a crap load of money and resources marketing their products while Graphtec relies a bit more on their brand name recognition and past performance.

The Summa products are very reliable and very easy to operate... No real bells or whistles to drive the price way up.

All three are very good cutters and I would not forget the dealer support channel when purchasing as well. Price is a major factor but if you need a little hand holding, put some weight on the dealer support channel.

trakers

"My response is always what's better Ford or Chevy?"

Ford, of course, but I digress. :Cool 2:

To answer the OP's question I just purchased a cutter after researching for a long, long time. I went with Graphtec CE-5000. So far everything is going very well.

customsticker

I had a Roland cx-24 for years, which is basically the same cutter. It never once gave me a hassle and I used it daily.

I would personally look to move up to gx-300, which has a sheet cutter. This can be a nice addition, and the extra speed is nice as well.

I have never used graphtec and have always been loyal to roland, from a stika, to cx-24 to sc-500 to sc-545

I've had them all, and wouldn't have it any other way! Once you know the querks with one brand, it's hard to move on to learn it all over agian.

Lasvegassigns

I had a roland cx24 for about 3 years and never had a mojor problem with it. they are very realiable machines..... I just got the graphtec, so I can't really say yet which company is better, but either way you will be much happier than you are now.

They are both good plotters.