• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations on a pen tablet

mikey-Oh

Love my Wacom! Bigger the surface seems to be better, but I still enjoyed my 4" x 5" when I was in college.
When I grow up, I want a cintiq.

grampa dan

I use the intuos by Wacom. http://www.wacom.com/intuos/large.php

It's big enough to use easily but not big enough to tire out your arm.

The key to learning to use one of these is to give your mouse to someone you trust. Then tell them that no matter how frustrated you become and no matter how much you beg to not give it back for three days.

You will have to learn to draw in one space (trust your hand) and look at the screen. After a while it comes real easy!

They have tons of programmable buttons which I do not like or use.

I've been using a wacom since 1998. I've had larger ones and smaller ones but this size is my favorite. http://www.wacom.com/intuos/large.php

-grampa dan

omgsideburns

Wacom, wacom, or wacom.

There are so many options from wacom alone. You can't go wrong with anything by Wacom but anything else won't be as good.

I have the 12x9 intuos 3 and i love it. Doubles as a mouse pad.

Wish I had the intuos4, much better button layout. Tried to sell this one right after I got it because I missed the memo where the intuos4 was coming out like a week later. =*(

WildWestDesigns

Wish I had the intuos4, much better button layout. Tried to sell this one right after I got it because I missed the memo where the intuos4 was coming out like a week later. =*(

I had the Intuos 4 and the driver kept on being "dropped". Stick with the Intuos 3, much more reliable.

choucove

We are actually going to be getting in a multi-touch monitor next week to try out for some minor uses as a tablet interface. The one we ordered is the Dell ST2220T monitor, a 21.5" widescreen with IPS panel for high quality display. So not only does it work as a high-quality monitor but you can "draw" directly on your monitor. The best thing about this is you get your monitor and tablet all in one device and for a great price as it was only $275 shipped.

We haven't done any kind of pen tablet systems here yet, but I'm curious how this monitor will work out trying some of this.

WildWestDesigns

We are actually going to be getting in a multi-touch monitor next week to try out for some minor uses as a tablet interface. The one we ordered is the Dell ST2220T monitor, a 21.5" widescreen with IPS panel for high quality display. So not only does it work as a high-quality monitor but you can "draw" directly on your monitor. The best thing about this is you get your monitor and tablet all in one device and for a great price as it was only $275 shipped.

We haven't done any kind of pen tablet systems here yet, but I'm curious how this monitor will work out trying some of this.

The Cinteq is the same thing, tablet/monitor in one. Significantly more, but it offers a lot too. I've never had much luck with Dell.

weaselboogie

I had the Intuos 4 and the driver kept on being "dropped". Stick with the Intuos 3, much more reliable.

I have an intuos 4 medium and have used it on 3 computers and no issues. Unplugged and plugged back in and it finds it everytime.

Here a video with screen capture. Everything is scanned from my sketchbook as pencil and rendered in photoshop with the wacom:

Attachments

• bigfoot color (Medium).jpg
    bigfoot color (Medium).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 135
  • cat color (Medium).jpg
    cat color (Medium).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 135
  • yellowdawg.jpg
    yellowdawg.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 148

WildWestDesigns

I have an intuos 4 medium and have used it on 3 computers and no issues. Unplugged and plugged back in and it finds it everytime.

Mine was the bluetooth version. That might have had something to do with it.

Were you running 7 too? It might have been an issue with 7 and not with xp or vista.

The smoking horse avatar that I had awhile back was the first one that I did with the new cinteq. I also did the one I'm using now with it as well. It's great for Ai and/or PS(E) work, but a little awkward with the rest of the suite. At least for me.

mikey-Oh

Wow weasel! That's some amazing work!!

Wish the final image hung for a few/several more seconds... lots to absorb

Last edited:

phototec

Review

Just got this review off the DELL website:

Review:I was quite excited when unboxing this product. It's design is amazing and the stand it uses is almost impressive enough to convince me to keep it. However, the touch response was lacking compared to what I had originally expected. Watching some of the advertisements and seeing how they portrayed using the on-screen keyboard is what sold me originally on purchasing this product. I was looking forward to replacing my keyboard (for the most part) and using the on-screen instead. However, the response time between clicks is insanely slow and often doesn't register. I have found that distance between areas you click does seem to increase the issues I experienced.

I just received a replacement and I ran into the same issues as before. The onscreen keyboard is basically un-usable. To even try and visit google.com is a pain and would be faster for you to click on each key using your mouse rather than the touch screen. I checked all the settings available for the keyboard entry. None of which had any effect. I even downloaded several non-standard virtual/on-screen keyboards hoping maybe it was a software issue but didn't experience any success.
I just can't justify spending over $300 for a touch based monitor where the touch interface doesn't add useable functionality.

Doesn't sound like this will replace a Wacom tablet.

choucove

Yeah, I don't like Dell computers much, but I have had good luck with their monitors (and cheapest IPS panel displays out there.)

I'm sad to hear the ST2220T hasn't been performing up to beliefs, though. We will have to try it out. My biggest concern was that its touch input is based on sight, which is somewhat less specific or precise than other forms.

James Chrimes

I have two Intous3 tablets. They are great. I will be parting with them and getting a 12Cinteq in the near future. I like the smaller size for traveling. Best of luck, you will love it.