• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations on a pen tablet

signmeup

We bought one of the Monoprice tablets after seeing this thread. She loaded the Wacom drivers for OS X and she's extremely happy with it. It has pressure but not angle sensitivity. Works pretty well but I still find having to put a battery in the stylus to be weird.
Doh! There goes my exclusive.
I'm surprized that wacom drivers will work a different company's tablet. What software are you drawing in? Can we see something that you've drawn?

signmeup

I like the buttons.

On further inspection I looked it up at the website. There seems far too many good and rave reviews there. Too good to be true, or a steal?
I thought the same thing. They should sprinkle in a few slightly negative reviews for maximum credibility. Or it's just a steal. Maybe it's really easy to make a tablet. Who knows?
I vote Weasel buys one and gives a full report. He knows how to run a Wacom. He can give us the skinny.

weaselboogie

I vote Weasel buys one and gives a full report. He knows how to run a Wacom. He can give us the skinny.

I'd gladly give a full report, but I'm not buying one. :scream:

2 years ago I bought a crappy tablet off of woot to get my feet wet. Having used a wacom for a limited time before that, the crappy tablet made me only want to go with another wacom.

Here's my review for that one: It sucked.

However, for the small amount of money I spent on it, I was impressed. Very basic. A light at the top to show that it was connected and no buttons. The two major things that make a great table were the two things that this thing lacked. Tracking and pressure sensitivity. The tracking wasn't terrible, but seemed to jump a bit and sometimes didn't quite follow what you were doing. I could have lived with that. The reason that it went to the wayside was the pressure sensitity. It went from 10% to 100% and nothing in between and when doing photoshop, that was very important. If you were merely drawing a preset thickness line , I'm sure it may have worked.

If you're in the market for a tablet, getting a cheap one will only make you want to go with a good one.

WildWestDesigns

This was my reason for ordering the cheapy. To see if I would find a tablet useful. And thanks for the review!
:goodpost:

Problem is that you might get a tainted opinion by buying a lesser quality good. You might actually find a tablet useful, but if your first and only experience is with a crappy product you might not know that it could be useful.

I'm not saying that that one is a crappy product, but as far as I know, nothing comes close to the WACOM yet.

signmeup

but as far as I know, nothing comes close to the WACOM yet.
How many different brands of tablet did you go through before you discovered that the Wacom had no peers? :wink:

Here's something you can relate to... I have an Arabian horse. Most of the horse people around here have either a quarter horse or an App. or a mongrel mix of the two. They mostly all maintain that Arabian horses are crazy. I always ask the more annoying ones,"Of all the Arabs you've owned, which was the craziest?" You know the answer... "I've never owned an Arabian." My responce...."Exactly."

WildWestDesigns

How many different brands of tablet did you go through before you discovered that the Wacom had no peers? :wink:

3, but you had to use your finger or a pen that had something to generate heat as they were heat sensitive. I'm going by touchscreen now, not something like Intuos or the Bamboo.

Here's something you can relate to... I have an Arabian horse. Most of the horse people around here have either a quarter horse or an App. or a mongrel mix of the two. They mostly all maintain that Arabian horses are crazy. I always ask the more annoying ones,"Of all the Arabs you've owned, which was the craziest?" You know the answer... "I've never owned an Arabian." My responce...."Exactly."

I've never owned an Arabian, but I have been exposed to them(I own, breed, train Appaloosas though and funny, but people that I know say they are the craziest) and I would say that Arabians are more hyperactive(for the most part, not all) then the others. Now when you get into fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle types that's another difference, which would go into the hyperactivity of an Arabian over a stock horse, but then again you have to get into blood lines. Two Eyed Jack Quarter horses and Scutter Bug G Appaloosas are both crazy in my estimation. I've trained horses from both bloodlines. Still own the Two Eyed Jack mare.

signmeup

It came! It looks very impressive... not at all like a cheap piece of crap. It's huge! 14"x10". Very nicely made. It's even shinier than in the pictures on the site.

I wish I could try it out but my computer is still in the shop. Photos and report once I am back in business.

showcase 66

I like my intous 4. I had 2 cheap ones that I didnt like. I think the second one worked better as a Frisbee than a tablet. My Sister in-laws have a monospace tablet. They like it and hate mine. I guess it is all on what you do and how comfortable you are with it.

signmeup

Tablet seems to work fine. It's gonna take some getting used to but I like it. I haven't tried it in a program that reads pressure yet. Still loading programs and stuff.
There are lots of settings you can tweak. I reduced the size of the board because this thing is big and it takes some serious arm stretching to cover it from one side to the other. You can define the active areas size and position very easily. I have it set over to left and about half size so the "mouseing" is quicker. I like that I can use the regular mouse or the pen at the same time. I haven't quite figured out scrolling with the pen. It's a bit awkward so far. I also don't like that I have to put the pen down. With a mouse you just let go and type. The pen falls over if I do that with it.
More later.

Last edited:

signmeup

Been messin with the tablet. It seems to work very well. I just discovered "flicking". You flick the pen and the screen scrolls in the direction of the flick. If you flick and tap, the scroll stops where you tap. Very nice! I didn't like the scrolling by using the pen button.. it was too fast to see how far I had scrolled.

I also discovered the pen will operate through a foam mouse pad. I plunked a mouse pad on the tablet for using a mouse (duh) and the cheap a$$ pen reads right through it. Very nice!

I discovered that Xara has really nice pressure sensitivity compared to Corel. I suspect it is a question of tweaking the software to what I like. The lines in Xara are extremely fine to very fat depending on pen pressure. Very cool.

I quite like using the pen as a mouse. (especially with flicking) I find that my elbow doesn't get as sore as when I use the mouse. I'm really glad I took a chance on this thing and blew the 37 bucks.

Wes Phifer

I got mine today. Messed with it a little. Seems to work fine. Pressure works. I have never used one and I will need some time to get used to it. It is a long way across the screen. I hadn't noticed the flick yet. That will help.

signmeup

I got mine today. Messed with it a little. Seems to work fine. Pressure works. I have never used one and I will need some time to get used to it. It is a long way across the screen. I hadn't noticed the flick yet. That will help.
Reduce the sensing area before your arm gives out. I cut mine back until it seemed like the same speed as my mouse... if that makes any sense.