• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removable Wall Graphics - aka like Fathead

Slamdunkpro

Would Oracal 3621 work? I understand that it can't be RE-applied, but you gotta sacrifice something to make things stick. I haven't seen or handled the stuff yet. Anyone have input if 3621 would work for Fathead-type images? I'd like to print to the edge. Not interested in leaving a white border. I'd also prefer to print and cut right away. Waiting a day or two isn't convenient..We're looking at cranking out some good volume, and use Roland XC-540's...Printing and cutting right away is pretty much required.

Thx

3621 will pull paint off of drywall if it's up for a while and it's really tough to apply large images if it's unlaminated.

jsconlon

Fathead type material Summa DC4sx

Does anyone know if any of the fathead type materials will work in the thermal resin printers like the Summa DC4?

Ferdux

cutting and printing fatheads

i have been reaching for several months at this particular fatheads printing , because i am starting this business, and find out the following , it might be good news for you all.

i try many different brands of vinyl for wall graphics, some of them better than others, but they all have the same problem, they curl, i have talk to many people at support in mac tac, 3m , avery, they all say the problem is you have to cure the material before cutting, because of the solvent is very hard on the vinyl!! and eats them , so you have to let go and evaporate the solvent before cutting, then i ask , how it is possible people at roland booths want tell this, when there printers are suppose to print and cut, well i discover eco-solvent are less aggressive solvent inks, but better yet , water base inks are way to expensive , but have some one try on a latex one? i think not, try using the eco-solvent original inks, or try to print on latex ink and then have it cut. you will see the results.

CalamityJay

i dealt with GF and had positive experience. They even helped me by guiding me on the right track to icc profile creation on static cling material. That stuff was very "soft" when heated and gave me a couple of head strikes. But they told me to try a higher heat setting to get the ink to cure. It worked, i guess, but i also adjusted my print off the stock in order to get it to print w/o striking.

heyskull

Am I missing something here?!!
The reason the material is removeable is that it is used for short term application.
I think you will find especially if it is a painted/plaster wall is that you have to question what paint has been used and how smooth the surface is.
Is the material been given enough time to out gas. As I personally have had issues with materials not bonding and curling up because customers have got you to rush the job.

Also with having a better adhesion their will be possibilities it will pull the paint off when removing.
I have had similair requests for wall prints but when I state these types of materials are for very short periods of advertising (weeks or less) and the removeable properties not only allow it to be removed easily but reduces initial adhesion and can lead to failures, they usually opt for something more permanent.

SC

TheSnowman

Well this thread is two years old. Over those two years, I've been printing PhotoTex and still never had one complaint from a customer, or from me. It's the best hands down for sticking to the wall and not falling off.

10sacer

Wendy's is using Phototex for some table edge graphics now and every one of them in the store I was in was curling badly - and this is on laminated tabletops. I just think its a bad application of a good product.
Those tables get wiped down 10-12 times a day with whatever chemical and that can't be good for any adhesive.

switch

We been using Phototex for a couple years with good results...

However beware, solvent inks and the oil based adhesive on phototex do not like each other, after a couple of months they start mixing through the fabric and the ink just wipes off, almost falls off really!

You have to laminate it, period!

That is until we changed over to Latex inks, better glossy finishes no need to laminate as the latex polymer sits encapsulated on top of the media and its allot more durable now too...

I heard that UV printing on phototex is also ok without lamination but cannot confirm.

Happy printing...

Richard G

General Formulations Concept 234 coated polyester fabric, print to the edge no curl, contour cut. I have tried a lot of different brands and the this is finally the only one I have left in my office over the weekend when it gets up to 95+ degrees and it doesn't peel off the wall.

RG

Yes, I know it's been 4 yeas since anyone posted to this thread. Just thought I'd revive it and get opinions on the best wall graphic vinyl that is to be used like a Fathead. It needs to work on even the orange-peal walls, to NOT have to be laminated, to NOT damage the wall, to be re-position-able, to NOT edge-curl, to be eco-solvent printable, and to last longer than 6 months. Or, is that asking the impossible? Does all the vinyl like this need to be laminated in order to make it stiffer and easier to apply and re-position for the general (not-skilled) public? Thanks for any input.

BALLPARK

We have used phototex and found that it is the wall based media. It can be large sheets for murals or small cutout graphics.

The only drawback with cutout is that I do not know of a transfer tape to help with the process of the install. So it takes a bit longer to install one section at a time, but it still works.

We just did 10 24in logos from colleges for a coach and it worked great for displaying on his wall.

Our clients love the custom wallpaper look compared to any vinyl with laminate combo. We print using UV ink and that provides us with better scratch resistance compared the our eco solvent printer.

OPAS works the best for us... Hope this helps.

10sacer

We use Simple Low Tac Wall Vinyl from Lexjet. Its thicker and easier to apply. We print it on flatbed and no lamination. If you are looking for conformity like textured wall graphics then I don't know.

bannertime

I typically use RadGrafix from Grimco. I've had it at a local university for about 6 months now and no complaints. That's in the room next to the lockers and showers. No curling. It's installed on a smooth painted drywall. I've also got a sample from that same job installed in my office on some drywall that used to have the popcorn stuff on it. I sanded it down and installed it. I've even taken it on and off to show customers and not even the tiny points are peeling.

The Orafol 3628 stuff was great too. I did a 1 day job with it. Installed it on everything. Elevators, floors, walls, windows, and it went on easy. Even with foot traffic from the party and the opening/closing of the elevator doors, there were no issues. I now stock it along with the RadGrafix.

boxerbay

we use oracal 3268. it is 6mil vs 3mil and that helps keep it from curling. we also offer lamination for extra protection and to allow cleaning with mild chemicals.
phototex is great also but you cannot laminate it. so its not a good fit in a high traffic little hands on the wall application.
phototex also is not a good fit if your kiss cutting it and there is a thin section. the cloth fabric can stretch and distort when it gets re-position.

becker

Avery Dennison Graphics MPI 2611 is cost effective and works very well. Good quality print and does not curl or pull away when printed and cut to edge.