• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROFL.... "Print" shops

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I get an e-mail about someone needing 11+ 2'x3' banners ASAP. First thought was that is was a scam but I recognized the company and called up the person requesting the quote and it was legit. I saw on the e-mail header that they sent the e-mail to me and three others.

I priced $40 ea and could have them there Friday morning. I called back because its getting towards the end of the day only to find out I was beat on price. (No concern of mine at all, this is small potatoes) Anyway, she told me the other 2 sign companies were around $35.. (ok, good no biggie, I wasn't too far off) but that a local "print shop" said they would do ALL of them for $100 and have them on Friday too. HUH??? o_OShe was laughing and said "Yea, I even confirmed with them that they are hemmed and grommeted banners" I was like, wow, I didn't even know they made banners... all I know them for is business cards and stationary.

Anyway, if you're a "print shop" getting into signs... ya may want to do some market research to find out what things sell for... Guess when you have to compete with vista print's $20 business cards your used to working on fumes :roflmao:

bannertime

Yeah, but it only cost like 30¢ sqft in ink and material. They're quintupling their money. WOW! I can't believe none of us figured that out!

TimToad

Yeah, but it only cost like 30¢ sqft in ink and material. They're quintupling their money. WOW! I can't believe none of us figured that out!

Yup, another 100,000 orders like that and its retirement time. If you were to mention issues like the intrinsic value of the advertising involved or respecting local market rates so people can pay a living wage and these type's eyes glaze over.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
But the real question is.... how can we spin this into a political problem? First one that makes the connection wins the chance to bid on a site survey.

unclebun

We are up against that from several places. One is a printer that's been around a long time that was sold a wide format printer as the solution to the shrinkage of the print market. They don't advertise banners any more, and I heard from a supplier rep that their printer is now just shoved in a corner of the building. Then there was a local restauranteur that bought another old print shop and turned it into an Alphagraphics franchise print shop. I think his primary purpose was to quit being "ripped off" on menu printing. Had someone call me because he needed a 4x8 installed that he bought there. I suggested he get the seller to install it, but he said they refused. So we went out to install his .040 aluminum 4x8 with full bleed digital graphics installed on it 15' up on the side of his shop building. Handed him the invoice for $240 and he about crapped his pants, saying that was outrageous because he didn't even pay that much for the sign. I asked how that could be since signs like that cost $350. He said he paid $90 for it. Considering Grimco charges $67 for a blank white aluminum sheet, I'd say Alphagraphics made a killing on that one. And finally there's a guy who set up a mailbox/shipping place (not a franchise, using daddy's money to utilize his fancy business degree) and decided to become a sign shop too because I was ripping him off. He's the one that brought our N. Glantz rep to tears because he was always trying to get lower prices on supplies. He was using online wholesale pricing as his retail price.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We are up against that from several places. One is a printer that's been around a long time that was sold a wide format printer as the solution to the shrinkage of the print market. They don't advertise banners any more, and I heard from a supplier rep that their printer is now just shoved in a corner of the building. Then there was a local restauranteur that bought another old print shop and turned it into an Alphagraphics franchise print shop. I think his primary purpose was to quit being "ripped off" on menu printing. Had someone call me because he needed a 4x8 installed that he bought there. I suggested he get the seller to install it, but he said they refused. So we went out to install his .040 aluminum 4x8 with full bleed digital graphics installed on it 15' up on the side of his shop building. Handed him the invoice for $240 and he about crapped his pants, saying that was outrageous because he didn't even pay that much for the sign. I asked how that could be since signs like that cost $350. He said he paid $90 for it. Considering Grimco charges $67 for a blank white aluminum sheet, I'd say Alphagraphics made a killing on that one. And finally there's a guy who set up a mailbox/shipping place (not a franchise, using daddy's money to utilize his fancy business degree) and decided to become a sign shop too because I was ripping him off. He's the one that brought our N. Glantz rep to tears because he was always trying to get lower prices on supplies. He was using online wholesale pricing as his retail price.

You didnt quote the install beforehand? I get them to pay upfront.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
this is why we need basic income, there are too many people out there trying to run a business that should stay home and collect a check.

might as well pay off all the student debt, cuz they didn't understand borrowing money meant you had to pay it back...

people who work hard and do things right should pay for everyone else, the're the only ones who can.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
this is why we need basic income, there are too many people out there trying to run a business that should stay home and collect a check.

might as well pay off all the student debt, cuz they didn't understand borrowing money meant you had to pay it back...

people who work hard and do things right should pay for everyone else, the're the only ones who can.

My wife is about to graduate w/ her masters.. This "State University" is such a damn rip. Tens of thousands for online courses where the teachers don't respond or follow up with their own syllabus.. can't never get a hold of the school, and she pays THOUSANDS this quarter alone for.... guess what.... internship! So the school doesn't do jack, she works for free AND has to pay the school....with what you might ask? Borrowed $$... This whole thing is a complete scam. She's studying for the state licensing exam and the school covered about 10% of whats on the test.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If ya listened to the debates last night, you would've gotten a sampling of how it will go.

There's no crisis on the southern border, but there is a crisis for needing more beds for these people,pouring in..........

I tapped out after 15 mins... and honestly that was much longer then I thought I could last.

They should of bought those beds from small, minority owned business... instead of the "big giant corporations run by the top 1%" Wayfair.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't they bring their own beds, if they wanna sleep when they get here....... sheesh. It's called planning ahead.

Question, if you wanted to move to a new neighborhood..... or even a state halfway across the country....... or into a completely different country, wouldn't you make arrangements before getting there ??

Johnny Best

Why don't they bring their own beds, if they wanna sleep when they get here....... sheesh. It's called planning ahead.

Question, if you wanted to move to a new neighborhood..... or even a state halfway across the country....... or into a completely different country, wouldn't you make arrangements before getting there ??

I think they are using their points from their American Express card for the migration trip. The US has free daycare and riding the rapids on the Rio Grande with your kid. Beds, food, entertainment, its all part of the travel package. You get with your friends for a camping trip and head for the boarder.

Superior_Adam

Retail we are at $3.50 per square foot(not including art) stitched/grommets and are on the higher end in town. There is a place in town with heat welded seams and grommets selling to the public for $2.00 per square foot. Quality of print is lacking but nobody cares about that I guess.

henryz

You can order them online from a wholesaler for .89 sq. = $5.40ea. x 11= $ 59.40 you would be at $70.29 with shipping taking that you don't need to do anything with artwork let alone 11 different artworks, is just not worth it. IMO

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Commercial sign shop printing has been commoditized to the point that most small shops will be better off outsourcing the production of these products. The big production houses are set up to handle volume and are able to offer prices considerably lower than a small shop that does not use high speed industrial printers, advanced material handling, loading docks and storage, packaging and crating, and discounted shipping costs.

For the time being wholesale prices can be marked up with a GPM of %20 – %40, but increasingly wholesale prices are being made available to the end user. A small local shop can still make good profits on installations and design. My long view is that the industry is changing, and that small commercial sign shops that specializes in design (both graphic design and mechanical design), specification and planning, permit secural, and installation and maintenance – without the expenses of production and fabrication – will be the future of our industry.