Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland Color Swatches and Versaworks...

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Bigdawg, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I design in Illy most times - photoshop when needed. I have Flexi and Corel, but prefer my Adobe programs. I print through Versaworks.

My big gripe has always been that no matter what profile I make or use, I can't seem to always get the popping colors I want. Reds tend to go a little dull and yellow ALWAYS have a friggin cyan mix to it.

Lately I've been using Roland's color swatches instead of my color builds or PMS colors and letting the rip swap out the swatch for it's CMYK equivalent and DAMN are my colors better. Yellows are - get this - actually yellow now and I get better reds then I've ever seen on this machine. If you are having the same issues I highly recommend making the switch...

2. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Boston
    Stacey, I made the switch a while back and have very pleased with the result ever since. Anyone not using the colormatch system from within VW is doing themselves a disservice(imo)

3. hoppers

hoppers Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm not using it on my Roland and Im going home tonight and figuring out what it really is! I remember reading about it and my reds really dont pop as well either....this does sound like the cure!

But is the documentation on how to do this in the VW manual or somewhere else? I forget where I read about it. Thanks!

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Here's a screen shot from Versaworks. This is under the File Format window. Note that it tells you how it will print the color in CMYK.

Just assign the swatch as a spot color in your program and you should have no problem

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  5. CarolinaCabinet

CarolinaCabinet Active Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Youre always a big help Biddawg.... thanks, I was actually told about that when I converted to VW and forgot to try it, you just reminded me. Sweet!

6. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I'm a bit lost... having the same issues with reds and yellows.
    So where in VW do I got to find the roland swatches? And how do I assign my roland swatches as colors in Illy or Flexi?

Thanks,
    Matthew
    BlackIceFX

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    In Illy go to the swatches palette and go to "open swatch library"

then scroll down to the bottom of the list that says "Other library..."

This will take you to a navigation box to find Roland's swatches. Mine are located here:

C:\Program Files\Roland VersaWorks\Swatch\Illustrator

Choose the one that says Roland Color System Library.ai

Now you can start using these to assign colors and the versaworks rip will pick it up.

8. spectracolor

spectracolor Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Simi Valley

Make sure to check on that "CONVERT SPOT COLOR" in versaworks when you use the Roland Swatch.
    I used to use Roland Swatch in illustrator and didn't turn on that COVERT SPOT COLOR in VW and the colors didn't turn out right

9. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Absolutely - maybe should have circled that in Red... actually I'll change the pix now...

10. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    BEAUTIFUL! Thanks Stacy and Spectra! I'll play with that a bit later today

Matthew
    BlackIceFX

11. hoppers

hoppers Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the tips and screenshot!

12. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Just tried a test print this way... WOW, what a difference! Thank you Stacy! :clapping:

13. James605

James605 Member

May 6, 2008
    IM KINDA LOST...I opened the swatch libr. in illy and see all the colors. Now say i have a logo with a few different colors. how do i make sure they are the same color? As in do i haveto go through and manually change all the colors in my logo to the new colors in the roland library. In versaworks i did as you said to check the box. Only the yellow is showing up. Wat about all the other colors in the logo? Sorry im still learning this program. Thanks for the help
    James

14. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Which color is bright red, yellow, pink & green?
    (on the Roland chart)

15. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

I'm going to check this out since my flexi RIP has been printing lousy lately. Thanks

16. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Figured it out...:)
    Bigdawg: your my hero....

17. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    Can I use these swatches in flexi?

18. spectracolor

spectracolor Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Simi Valley
    To use Roland Color Matching System, make sure to go to Versaworks and print the Roland Color Matching thingee from the menu using the media you want to use and use that as your target.
    Keep in mind folks, if you use laminate, you'll have to laminate the target as well, as the laminate adds some kind of color hue to the vinyl

19. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    James - if you select one object that is the color you want to change then go to the select menu to same---> fill color

Then it will select everything you want to change that is using the old color and you can just assign it once.

Be careful if you have objects with strokes - you'll need to select one and do Select--> same---> Stroke color

And if you know what to expect from your CMYK mixes, it helps. The first yellow swatch I assigned had 2% cyan in it (which I didn't want) so I changed it... I never did print out a swatch print.

20. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    There is a very nice pdf on Rolands site about this:

http://rolanddga.com/rnet30/files/support/rvw_spot_color_replace.pdf

What I am wondering is what happens when you specify a 'Vworks spot color'
    within the rip? The colors are great but the ink is laid down very heavy-
    it must circumvent the profile to do it- so why do we need profiles? I have
    been struggling with Wasatch (printing to my new VP540) and have recently
    been trying to profile Vworks- with some luck. My prints look much better
    than I am getting from Wasatch and the more I use Vworks the more
    comfortable I am with it.

I am using Triangle inx and an X-rite i1 with Profilemaker 5.0.