• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Disappointment XR-640

BryStick

I'd like to hear what the issue is as well. I have 2 XR-640's and I also get head strikes when the prints gets out to around 30'. This is on calendered vinyl. Just today, for example, I ran a job on unidirectional and by the time it was at 25' it started head striking. Same thing the other day on a similar length run. After 25-30' there's slack on one side, no matter how carefully it's aligned at the beginning. This occurs on both machines, although my 1 year old machine seems a little more forgiving than my less than a month old machine.

I'll take it up with the techs soon, but I'd love to hear what you find out.

NHuckaby

we have actually had are 640 for about a year and we have had only 1 head strike. i have been really happy with it so far. and are xc-540, the motor just went out with 3200 hours on it. not bad

Leave extra on the front when you load the media through the machine. Then hand roll it back at least 1 full wind. This should get everything straight. I would try printing and turn the take up by hand (leaving slack). This will determine if it is the cause or something else.

JoshLoring

Update for everyone.
Roland tech came out and adjusted all if the structures that accompany feed and takeup of the XR-640. It wasn't 100% square as it should be.

He said he can't guarantee it's going to fix it but it was a big factor and he managed to get the roll feeding really straight. I need the heads adjusted tomorrow because they aren't quite printing right (due to head strikes) but, once it's fixed in the next day or so I'll be running it like crazy again and I'll note updates.

2B

With it being under warranty how are they going to handle the heads since they are "consumable" items?

obviously there was a faulty construction and due to that your heads are now damaged.

Jack Knight1979

Roland should indeed replace the heads. Even if they are printing fine now. Just one solid head strike can cut the life of the heads in half. If not more. Considering that head strikes have been a constant problem on this machine, see if you can get them replaced. They might be fine for now, but could easily start failing this six months down the line.

JoshLoring

Still waiting.

Update:
1: Before Roland came out, they said they were sending me a roll of cast vinyl to test (vs vinyl we use) and I haven't received it yet. This was 10 days ago.
2: When they made adjustments to the machine take up system, I told them that the heads were not printing right and asked if they could fix it. Roland said that I needed to ask my Technician. They (My Denco Technician have been so busy I am now a week+ without a usable printer. Hopefully a Roland tech comes out soon.
3: Loosing money daily.
4: Need to print.

2B

that's really unfortunate to hear.

one would think that with you being in CA as their headquarters some would be there the same day.
and they surely are aware how this is NOT helping their reputation, in light of the new HP 360 printer release, especially with the fact that you are(were?) one of their biggest advocates along with the size of your shop you cannot be down a printer and still meet the demands of your customers.

jasonx

We'd gone through a similar scenario a couple of years back. Had three Roland machines. Had problems with one of them and they didn't want to help. Mind you down here we have a 5 year warranty if you use their OEM inks. Not sure if that's the case anymore. Kept passing the buck and it was at the time the L25500's were being run out on special. Within 2 months we went from having three Roland's to three HP's.

The amount of money they've lost in ink alone would have justified them coming to fix the machine same day.

Our latex machines haven't been problem free but we always have had a HP technician out the next business day. That support is phenomenal.

We were like Josh and big supporters of Roland at the time. It's their loss now, our business has grown heaps since then.

Hopefully they come out and sort out your issue.

BALLPARK

Update:
1: Before Roland came out, they said they were sending me a roll of cast vinyl to test (vs vinyl we use) and I haven't received it yet. This was 10 days ago.
2: When they made adjustments to the machine take up system, I told them that the heads were not printing right and asked if they could fix it. Roland said that I needed to ask my Technician. They (My Denco Technician have been so busy I am now a week+ without a usable printer. Hopefully a Roland tech comes out soon.
3: Loosing money daily.
4: Need to print.

Get the runaround on brand new machine? Wow... way to back your new printer Roland. This also goes for tech / rep company. I never liked the fact that Roland makes us buy from Regional authorized dealers. I have sent a couple emails to our local Roland dealer about info and once for parts, got no response. I know another Roland dealer company two states down that gives us better services, but they cannot sell us a new unit? Roland...smh.

In other news... installed some latex wrap prints today. I don't have a latex printer, I've always been a Roland guy. But reading about your issues is doing nothing to validate the more expensive price of the XR over a new Latex.

Sorry man... I hope they get their act together and fix your issues. It would be more understandable if it was an older machine. But this is their new flagship that replaced the XC-540.

bulldozer

that sucks about the techs/roland experience. we have amazing techs from GSG who will swing by same day, most of the time. I did have to request a different guy to come out, because the one they had been sending was lazy as hell. He would come in to service our AJ1000, and the first thing he would ask EVERY time is "well, is your machine level?" and then proceed to pretty much just stand there and look at the machine.

It's now a running joke anytime a machine has an issue.

Btw, the machine shouldn't be level.

Salmoneye

I had a couple of minor issues in the beginning with my 540 from the stand not being mated perfectly true and the printer not being leveled up perfectly from my own installation and set up; An hour or so more of setup and everything has been good.

HulkSmash

Josh,
It's not just Roland. If you don't have a Scitex division HP, HP throws you aside like an ugly step child.

I thought Roland was above that nonsense.

cdiesel

I've got to agree with Mike. Doesn't matter how big your printers are or how much ink you buy.

It seems to me they are very responsive, but are very much into the try something out and see what happens method of service. We've had several ongoing issues with some of our printers that took much longer than they should have to fix.

JoshLoring

Update:
Roland has been in great service since I've had issues. I'm glad because I love my freaking printers. I just don't like loosing money to issues.

1: Techs have been out and took a bunch of sample prints out to corporate to view after making adjustments to heads. I'm still having some banding issues with solid blacks but it's better. I however don't like any banding. Not even a smidge.
2: I've yet to test the takeup roll on a long run to see if everything is square and not head striking but I will tomorrow for sure.

Just so everyone knows.. I've had roland printers for close to 8 years and we've never had issues at all. I'm glad to see that they are on top of my issues and hope to find a solution that may help others having head strike problems. You never know.... I may have just got an oddball.

JoshLoring

Next update:
1: Finally ran the printer onto the takeup. It's tracking perfect for about 50' then walking again. When I say perfect, I mean perfect for 50'. Then all of a sudden it just starts dipping left and right. It's almost as if the weight affects it.

2: Roland is coming out next week again. They have been in great contact with us and working to resolve the problems. I'm not getting great printing on my blacks even with roland spot colors. I don't think heads are good. See photo. Hopefully it all works out.

image-2296871635.jpg

player

I would start demanding a new printer.

Tell them enough is enough.

You need to stop them from this lemon repair.

Call head office and demand a new printer or a refund. period.

phototec

I would start demanding a new printer.

Tell them enough is enough.

You need to stop them from this lemon repair.

Call head office and demand a new printer or a refund. period.

:goodpost:

Yep! Tell them you have and are still loosing money with this (Lemon) printer.

Have them deliver a brand NEW printer and take this one back to the lab and reverse engineer it to see why it has so many problems.....

You paid good money for this PRINTER and it's NOT working as advertised, End of story!!!!!