• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Disappointment XR-640

splizaat

So they're doing R&D on your personal machine, with your ink/vinyl/electric while you sit there not making money. I'm with everyone else, demand a new printer be delivered TOMORROW, and they can r&d it on someone else's time.

What i don't understand and continue to see over and over and over again in business lately is how many companies out there sell a broken/unworking product upon delivery and then want to warranty part after part while you sit on tech support and deal with the ********. REPLACE IT! Just the amount of time on the phone alone should warrant a bill straight to roland! If they don't replace it, drop it off at the sign shop and cancel the check/reverse the funds. OVER IT.

I get that tech support has been "on top of it" and they're trying to help resolve the issue, but there should be NO problems and you shouldn't know the tech support guys by first name...that indicates to me you have too much time invested. It should just WORK.

splizaat

To put it short and simple...

If i fire up something out of the box, whether it's a barbecue or a $35k printer, and it doesn't work - SEND ME A NEW ONE. If you can't sell something that works out of the box, DO NOT SELL IT AT ALL.

Wayfatcat

We just got one a few months ago and have been having many headstrikes, even with the head raised. Especially when it runs its tests at night, I don't think the vacuum is on 100% during those. Also when we get down towards the end of the roll the paper has more curve to it and it strikes a bunch. Every morning when I come in the vinyl has buckles in it and there are ink marks and slices where the head rubs it. This is our first one and we assumed it must be normal. Can this be fixed by Roland??

2B

We just got one a few months ago and have been having many headstrikes, even with the head raised. Especially when it runs its tests at night, I don't think the vacuum is on 100% during those. Also when we get down towards the end of the roll the paper has more curve to it and it strikes a bunch. Every morning when I come in the vinyl has buckles in it and there are ink marks and slices where the head rubs it. This is our first one and we assumed it must be normal. Can this be fixed by Roland??

If the machine is still under warranty, yes it can and SHOULD be fixed by Roland.

Contact your local, Person bought it from, if they can't resolve it then climb the ladder at Roland until you have someone that can resolve the issue.

document EVERYTHING, pictures, notes ETC...

OADesign

Still having issues!?!

I am really (really, really) surprised this issue is still ongoing.

I can't understand why Roland has not solved this already. I would think it costs Roland next to nothing to go scoop up the machine (especially since it is local) and drop off another and send an official Roland tech out to do the new set up. Not a distributor tech.

I mean what has more value? The pennies on the dollar it cost them to replace the machine and the good reputation points from a long time user?

Or the dragging on of this issue paying techs to burn through media and ink, man hours, and the scar something like this will leave on their reputation

I mean this thread alone is probably hurting xr sales right now seeing how it is in an open forum. How many potential new Roland users are out there doing research on this and other products from Roland will come across this thread and choose another product based on what they find here.

I don't presume to be a business guru of any kind. But I know for certain that a happy, satisfied customer has WAY more value than the dollar amount of a sale (or loss of revenue of a lost sale or do over).

LarryB

I am too, but in a way I'm not. If you've ever had an issue with their take-up reels you would understand how frustrating it is to diagnose and correct. (not defending Roland here just saying I'm in the same boat but with an older model)

There are so many variables and opportunities for the media to skew or have uneven tension that it's very hard just to determine where the issue is.

I personally think it's the bracket that slides back and forth on the rail to loosen/tighten on the core - it has such a tiny contact point that there is way too much room for play. Especially as the vinyl on the take up gets heavier and heavier.

Even if the roll holders, pinch rollers, dancer bar etc etc are all perfectly aligned, this last piece of the puzzle is enough to throw a wrench in everything.

Here's a picture of our Frankenstein bracket....which still doesn't work properly. I've given up trying to get it back to normal but we will be having our tech try to get it back to original working condition soon. The arrows show where there is a ton of play from front to back, which dictates which side will have uneven tension and eventually create buckling and head strikes.

I've had my XC-540 for 7 years now and rarely have head strikes. I agree the take up has been a pain since year 2. I have had good luck with putting a small piece of 3mm pvc in the bracket where the knob has worn out. It keeps the bracket snug and does not move. It also keeps everything running straight and no issues with long runs.

JoshLoring

Update to all.

Roland has been on top of my issues and backs their product 100%. I feel this is why I've always been so attracted to their products. I gave them a lot of input about things I've noticed with the printers + rip over the last 8 years and some things I might adjust. I hope they go to use in future. Part of the reason that this also took so long was that I recently found out my normal tech (non-Roland staff) was transitioning out of support and more into sales. This made it difficult to get faster service outside of Roland. This should get better in the future as they've brought in another tech only guy onto their staff.

As far as my particular printer goes, after more intense testing this week by Roland staff (very nice guys btw) they have decided to swap the printer out so that they can further diagnose on their time and get our company back to working full force. I know That technology can be a pain... I know that not everything is made perfect and there are defects in everything from cars to cell phones and even yes... Printers. To be honest, I think I got that one in a million that wasn't quite right. With that said, I hope the new printer treats us as well as our other Roland's have for so many years.

player

I am glad you are getting a new one. Check the print hours so you know it is new, not used.

If I was you I would not be sucking up to Roland quite so much.

splizaat

so what'd roland give you to praise them in this post? I wouldn't be that impressed by the service if it took weeks to get them to finally budge....seems a bit of tap dancing going on behind the scenes.

player

so what'd roland give you to praise them in this post? I wouldn't be that impressed by the service if it took weeks to get them to finally budge....seems a bit of tap dancing going on behind the scenes.

Exactly. Weeks with no production, lost material, labour, stress, etc...

They sold you a defective machine that killed your business, and after weeks or months of pulling out your hair they are going to replace the crap, perhaps with more crap. All hail the benevolent god Roland.

BALLPARK

I'm not sure why it took so long... It could be the company that sold you the unit, it could be Roland making sure the proper procedures are being done to make sure it needs to be replaced. But in the end it is nice to see they switched it out with a new machine. They did the right thing, although it may have taken longer than it should have. Either way it looks like they are making things right by providing a new unit.

Glad to see your issues are going away with the old machine!

player

The solution that you've been screaming for has been done - and now that's still not good enough for you, the ever-so difficult to please Roland hater.

Everyone knows you're a bitter (in general actually I think) Roland owner - why don't you just go buy Mimaki and give it a rest?

:thumb:

You speak for EVERYONE now?

Oh I forgot this is your forum, and I should always agree with you. My mistake. I apologize. I will never express my opinion again, as it may give you cause to call me bitter or a hater. Sorry. Please forgive me oh great god of the sign forums. :thumb:

hyperdrive

I too suffered this same drug out type of thing with a NEW FLAGSHIP xr.. Faulty!! Finally after many ink cartridges pumped into the wast bottle, poor print quality, not able to make red(at all) They replace the machine.. They then left it in my shop to take up my floor space for about 2 months!!! Lost $1000s of dollars and customers who couldn't wait for me to get my new, broken machine running... All I asked in return for in return for basically cripiling my shop was a discount on a heater..NEVER GOT IT!!! Took almost 2 months I believe to get it all worked out and new machine set up.. Turned new one one and printed PERFECT...

In the end, I bought my last roland .

OADesign

Good for you!

That's cool. Glad they got it all together for you. Maybe they did act in a timely manner, maybe not. Maybe everyone thought it should have jumped off sooner because we all know the pressure of dropping out big bucks and expecting the tool to work right, out of the box and having customers that don't want to hear about your downed equipment.

In any case, now that you have a fat back log of work to print. It would be cool for you so post some pics of the thing chomping through the stack of overdue project.

Update to all.

Roland has been on top of my issues and backs their product 100%. I feel this is why I've always been so attracted to their products. I gave them a lot of input about things I've noticed with the printers + rip over the last 8 years and some things I might adjust. I hope they go to use in future. Part of the reason that this also took so long was that I recently found out my normal tech (non-Roland staff) was transitioning out of support and more into sales. This made it difficult to get faster service outside of Roland. This should get better in the future as they've brought in another tech only guy onto their staff.

As far as my particular printer goes, after more intense testing this week by Roland staff (very nice guys btw) they have decided to swap the printer out so that they can further diagnose on their time and get our company back to working full force. I know That technology can be a pain... I know that not everything is made perfect and there are defects in everything from cars to cell phones and even yes... Printers. To be honest, I think I got that one in a million that wasn't quite right. With that said, I hope the new printer treats us as well as our other Roland's have for so many years.

player

I won't say that you are a donkey's behind. :Canada 2:

After going through all your comments you really never help anyone, just give out stupid comments. Glad to see you are not helping, yet have time to be smarmy. You probably have that personality disorder where the afflicted cannot stop blurting out stupid comments.

CarNate69

I read this post weeks ago and thought, oh this must be a fluke XR issue, our take up works great. Well, we spoke too soon, we're printing 50ft+ runs on our XR and the take up WILL NOT keep the correct tension to keep the vinyl running smoothly and not head crashing. If I watch the vinyl run through the back of the machine, it's clear the machine cannot maintain correct tension on it's own. If watching the vinyl from the back, go into the machine, the side closest to the control panel is very very loose tension wise; the opposite side is very tight. As the machine scrolls the vinyl through, the lack of tension on the control pane side creates a wrinkle in the vinyl ahead of the pinch rollers, making the head crash. I have to stand and watch it, or hold my hand on the vinyl coming out of the front of the machine to keep the tension up every couple of feet.

Add us to the list of new XR owners, happy with the print quality, but the take up reel is worthless...the machine LOVES to head crash way more than any other Roland I have seen even when we aren't using the take up reel...very very disappointing for a "flagship" machine to work this way.

Edit: We're early in seeing this issue, and will report back if it's just us loading it in an odd manner, or the machine, we'll experiment with every possible combination before calling Roland out on it. It doesn't take much to be 'off' when it comes to loading media for runs this long.

Edit 2: Lots of issues tonight with it. I see the issue as the machine being impossible to load straight, no matter what we try. How about Using the straight edge of the material? Sounds great, but How do you know if the material is in fact straight? Roll the vinyl back onto the roll using the stationary side media holders? Not always straight since you're rolling from one side. Alternate doesn't work either. Use a line on the machine as a straight edge then engage the hold down?...what if the vinyl isn't cut completely straight from the previous job..you are lining misaligned vinyl with a straight edge, causing a right to left tension issue when the vinyl is held down too.

No matter what we tried, the tension is higher on one side than the other on the front and back, causing the head crash, which is more than likely caused by the machine not being loaded 1000% straight. If it's even off by a millimeter when loaded, this will show itself after about 10ft, pulling from one side harder than the other, causing the bow in the vinyl, and causing the head crashing. I also question the pinch roller design when running this many feet at once, note the XF has dozens of pinch rollers, while the XR has only a few by comparison.

Roland, what is the answer here?

Last edited:

player

Not that this is the solution to your problems by any means, but to line the vinyl up you can pull it though the front and back until they meet, and line up the 2 sides, front and back. Then get a 2nd person to latch the wheels down.

CarNate69

This brings up the same issue...if the vinyl isn't straight when cut off from the previous run, lining it up doesn't matter. It would still tug from the roll unevenly. We definitely know how to load our machine, we've run rolands for 10 years now.