• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp 540v question Please Help!!!

tradeup

I am starting to think my CM printhead is not firing correctly even though it shows only a couple missing bars.. Could that be the case.. Would a good soak clear it up?

tradeup

Sorry to keep posting so much have been up all night trying to figure this out. Have done some research and see several have had this problem but have not found a solution. The issue seems to be when the colors are mixing. If I print CMYK all 100% it is fine but when they mix I get a grainy dotted image..

Seems like it is more on glossy vinyl. Do not notice it on Banner material. Going to see what it looks like on a matte vinyl later on today. Hopefully I or someone can help solve this because after a long search on the net there are lots of people with this problem and either they solved the problem without reporting back or the problem was never solved.

At this point I am 15000.00 in the hole and getting very poor results not feeling very well..

But I am very thankful for all that have taken a second and tried to help me with this. Never have been a member of any other forum. And let me say you guys are all awesome and I will be back and will look for others having problems that maybe I can help solve.. Much appreciated!!!!

rjssigns

You're prints should look fine close up........even with a magnifying glass, they should look great.
Post a picture of your nozzle check and a sample of the 'dots' you're getting

Something is obviously wrong

No. All prints are comprised of dots. It is called Dithering and it is how all inkjet printers work to achieve given colors with a limited palette. (CMYK) They will not be perfect close-up. He is just over thinking it and getting worried over nothing.
Different colors will have different dot patterns with some greens and reds looking horrible at really close distances. But that is not what our prints are made for.

The head check looks better than mine with only a couple dropped nozzles and negligible deflection.

Dithering is a technique used in computer graphics to create the illusion of color depth in images with a limited color palette (color quantization). In a dithered image, colors not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette. The human eye perceives the diffusion as a mixture of the colors within it (see color vision). Dithered images, particularly those with relatively few colors, can often be distinguished by a characteristic graininess, or speckled appearance.
By its nature, dithering introduces a pattern in to the image, the idea is that the image is viewed from such a distance the pattern is not discernible to the human eye. Unfortunately this is not typically the case and often the patterning is visible. In these circumstances it has been shown that a blue noise dither pattern is the least unsightly and distracting.[11] The error diffusion techniques were some of the first methods to generate blue noise dithering patterns, however, other techniques such as ordered dithering can also generate blue noise dithering without the tendency to degenerate in to areas with artefacts.

And people tell me going back to school at my age was a waste of time.

kanini

Have you seen other prints from an SP-V printer so you know for sure there's something wrong with your machine? These are eco-solvent machines with relatively large drop size. You can't compare it to a desktop photo printer for example... Your nozzle test looks great btw so you definitely don't need a new head...

tradeup

Makes sense I started thinking that dithering to be the case. Was able to search the term dithering and it gave me a lot more insight on what is going on. TY.

So I own an electronics store and would like to make skins for phones, laptops etc. That was one of the main reasons for purchasing this printer. But I am needing more Photrealistic printing that will work on vinyl. So I am probably needing to buy another printer from what I am getting??? What is a good printer to try and find used that is high quality for vinyl???

Also I received flexi 10 pro with dongle with this printer but waaaaay to advanced for me to try and learn the whole profiling thing so I put it up for sale on craigslist.. Will probably want to hold onto it since I will be looking to get another printer that will not be able to use versa works.

Or... Should I try and sell this setup and find a different setup that will do everything that I want it to do??

I sell lots of vinyl skins from Skinit and they look amazing what the heck kind of printer do places like that use. I also see lots of people selling vinyl skins on ebay think I may order a few and see the quality of theirs. Just do not think the prints I am doing are acceptable or is it just me? are my standards set to high. Maybe the average person won't notice?

Last edited:

401Graphics

flexi is complicated???? Hmmm i never thought so.
Is there a lot of money to be made making skins? They seem too cheap on ebay to make a good enough profit to be worth making. IMO

2 see signz

just a thought...get some eles to print your files..least it will elimate the art work side of things...i have the same machine and i love it...pm if you want me to test print..

tradeup

Yeah If I were to sell on ebay which seems like too much work probably wouldn't be worth it. But In my store I sell lots of phones and used laptops. I buy large lots of used electronics from Liquidation dot com and they are palleted and get lots of scratches on the lids and such so I am wanting a way to beautify them. As well as be able to make custom unique skins for the customer.

I sell lots of Skinit decals and I am currently paying 7.00ea for them and sell for 14.99ea

Sell 50 +/- or so a month so it made sense to me. But with the resolution I am currently getting starting to think it wasn't such a good idea. I do dye sublimation as well but isnt as popular.

And I love designing as well and wanted to offer other printing services in my store.

2 see signz will send you a pm would love to see a good print from this machine!!!!!

tradeup

And about flexi I know it is an awesome program. At the moment I am trying to learn the printer and a laminator and when I print from Versaworks it looks like what it does on the screen.. Flexi looks waaaaay different. I have played with it and love lots of its features but after reading on it and having to create my own color profiles and such seems like a nightmare!

Wheeler

I have to use the Roland Color System Library to get the correct colors on vectors. I noticed on your coreldraw export picture that the only color pallette you have showing is cmyk.

You have to print the roland color chart out on the media you use the most in versaworks and select the color from the chart, Colors will look different on the monitor unless you have the monitor calibrated right.

You mentioned that the dark blue printed correctly but after you lightened it, It went to halftone look.

Sounds like you are giving the colors percentages and that will produce halftones. 50% black will be grey on a white background.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Attachments

• Roland Color.jpg
    Roland Color.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

tradeup

Got it solved thanks to all the help on the forums!!

2 see signz was so kind to let me send him the files to test on his roland sp 540v and the problem was in the artwork being printed. I sent him several files and he took a look and showed me the proper way to export them in Coreldraw!!!

That helped big time.

Then I used the roland color profile and nothing short of perfection thanks everyone for all your support and help you all are great!

tradeup

actually thought I had it fixed its like it is hit and miss!!!! Just printed a couple more things and even the color chart that I just printed is doing it as well. not understanding. Think I may be what someone else suggested over thinking this and it is suppose to be like this.

Just measured 30" away you can not see the dots but anything closer Depending on the color you can not see it.

another thing is when I print my color chart in versaworks it grays out every profile and only allows generic Vinyl one which with this media has banding issues. Any way around that?

Wheeler

Open versaworks and click on the A or B folder (top left) and change the settings to what profile you want and then load the color chart up.

2 see signz

glad i could give back to the forum thats helped me out heaps....

it was definitely the files that were wrong that you sent, so if its still doing it on the colour chart id say look at your settings... and have you tried different media?

xanderortiz

Am I the only one who noticed that his nozzle test print was filthy?! You have empty spots in your test print, which means you need to do a Powerful Clean. I would also recommend restarting the printer if you have not done so. One time, our Roland kept missing spots in the test print no matter how well I cleaned it. I restarted the printer, and that cleared it up, so that is why I urge both a Powerful Clean and a printer restart.

The manual tells you to do a Powerful Clean when this happens after a manual cleaning doesn't fix it. This method of cleaning flushes the ink lines to ensure any debris or air is out.