• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland vs 640 Ink Configuration

digitoyz

Hello, I'm looking for the service manual for Roland VS-640. I need to change Ink configuration from metallics to CMYK CMYK and as far I know it can be done through service mode.

digitoyz

There should be no problem with it, I spoken with Roland guy few months ago and I've been told that it's just few thinks to do, flush all lines,replace dampers, change ink mode and we're live again... The only problem Roland guy is moved down UK so I need support for Service Mode.

Papajo

You wont find any procedure in the service note to change ink configuration as it is forbidden and undocumented by Roland. I've never performed an ink replacement on a VS but I would proceed like this :

The only thing you need is to go into service mode, remove all the cartridges and perform a Service Menu > Sub Menu > Pump Up to purge the ink lines (empty drain bottle first).

If you want to clean the ink lines you will need to load the machine with solvent cartridges and pump them through the machine using Service Menu > Sub Menu > Fill Ink (you can stop pumping anytime by hitting the four arrows at the same time), don't forget to empty the drain bottle before as you will pump crazy volumes of fluid.

Then again you can remove cartridges and purge the solvent with Service Menu > Sub Menu > Pump Up

Then you go to Service Menu > Sub Menu > Change Inktype and select the ink configuration you want.

Finally you can load the new cartridges and fill the machine with Service Menu > Sub Menu > Fill Ink, stop whenever the 8 ink channels are filled, confirm with a test print.

You might want to do the whole thing with the machine opened so you can check the ink and solvent flowing through the pipes.

If you're picky you may change the dampers but if you've never done it before on a VS there are huge risks of spilling ink on the head and breaking it so I wouldn't advise this except if you're a trained tech.

Last edited:

odhisteve

changing roland vs-640 metalic to dual cmyk

I am also planning to change my VS640 to dual CMYK. And I guess it is pretty straight forward. My email address is world.focus@mweb.co.za

Please email me a copy of the service manual

much appreciated

at last did manage to covert vs-640 metalic to dual cmyk. you dont need the service manual to do it, but you have to enter the service mode to change the ink type, you will find three option, metalic, pigment 4 colour and unknown. this is where roland is trying to confuse you. you will automatically choose pigment 4,which the machine will accept but verseworks will not communicate with the machine. you must have the option of ecosolmax selected otherwise the rip will not comunicate. roland has not given this option so that you dont change. managed to get afile that you have to send to the printer to erase the memory and install the dual cmyk with all the options. if you are intrested my email address 1s odhisteve@yahoo.com. i did change the machine yesterday.

Rickstar

Files to change VS640

at last did manage to covert vs-640 metalic to dual cmyk. you dont need the service manual to do it, but you have to enter the service mode to change the ink type, you will find three option, metalic, pigment 4 colour and unknown. this is where roland is trying to confuse you. you will automatically choose pigment 4,which the machine will accept but verseworks will not communicate with the machine. you must have the option of ecosolmax selected otherwise the rip will not comunicate. roland has not given this option so that you dont change. managed to get afile that you have to send to the printer to erase the memory and install the dual cmyk with all the options. if you are intrested my email address 1s odhisteve@yahoo.com. i did change the machine yesterday.

Hi, Can you please email me the file to rick@sdandp.com.au

Rickstar

So we are calling each other names

We have a good Rick here, but not a good Rickstar.

Go away, or learn how to use forums correctly.

I posted on 6 threads at most, and from 6 you jumped to 18 without me getting online, Trolling is really nice :) Have a nice day...

pete2803

Hi, i've just been reading your thread its something i'm keen to do except the other way around dual CMYK to Max WMT this option is not available in the change ink type on my machine, although its clearly had white and metallic through it at some point before I owned it, would the file you have to erase the memory and install ink type sort this out?

JP4

Wow...Seems a lot of folks are not liking the Met and Wht ink set up..Why are you guys wanting to change to dual CMYK?

pete2803

Not trying to go to double cmyk want to change to white and silver, have sorted it now if anyone needs to know how cheers