• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S101 Union Poll

Would You Join an S101 Union

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Williams Signs

An association would have great benefits. The best one would to be able to negoiate and help supply the smaller shops with affordable health insurance.

iSign

An association is an organization made up of members who have a common interest or profession. Benefits are numerous including:

• Development of educational materials, classes, etc.
  • Certification of members.
  • Development of marketing materials.
  • Group health and retirement benefits.
  • Representation in governmental regulation matters.
  • Local, regional, national and international structure.
  • Conventions and meetings.

In my view, the appropriate role for Signs 101 is to evolve into an association...

This was attempted in some depth, to the point of actually creating a charter and a set of by-laws. We then held an election of officers and a board of directors.

Unfortunately, the results were less than satisfactory and the idea was abandoned.

if an "association" were to be like a "destination"... I would offer an alternate perspective of what was "attempted in some depth" ..as well as some alternate "destinations"....

From my perception, through the creation of a charter & by-laws, a "vehicle" was created, with one or more destinations loosely in mind, the foremost of which was creating an "entity" under which ownership & operating decisions for Signs101 could potentially transfer over to, from it's current sole proprietorship status.

While the above list of association benefits above is not unfamiliar, I don't think any of those things were ever attempted in depth, because they are examples of the scenery one might seek, after arriving at the "destination"...

The "vehicle" was by no means running like a well oiled machine at the time "the idea was abandoned" , but in my opinion, it was a fully operational vehicle, built to a fully functional degree of road worthiness, and in whatever boneyard it currently resides, I still have little doubt it was built well enough that it could circumnavigate the information highway for many many years, given the right crew, and more importantly, a consensus on the right destination(s)

The problem I saw, was that a handful of folks agreed to go for a ride, but spent time building a vehicle instead. Without doubt, a vehicle is a good thing to have when going for a ride... but if you imagine a bunch of sugar crazed children crammed into the backseat of the family station wagon, bound for the promise of Disneyland... and then imagine those kids having to build the station wagon first...

...well, the promise of Disneyland was never realized because the bunch of sugar crazed children exhausted their interest in cramming into the same vehicle by the time the vehicle was built...

If the vehicle had been built privately, and then a crew selected (or elected(?) ...but that's another topic) ..I think the very same vehicle could have went much further with the very same children... er, I mean crew.

I could go on, but I'm getting flashbacks of exhaust fumes, Dramamine, slug-bug & cheap truck stop coffee :rock-n-roll:

CentralSigns

Put the name union in the association name and we can bid on all the union jobs. As far as collective agreements giving benefits and what ever your stupid to think that way. That wasn't the point, see as soon as you say union everyone wants something. I think the whole idea is to allow us to get work were we currently can't unless we are a unionized shop. To create a union may give us access to these jobs. I would guess that the union sign jobs would be better paying, cause they know they are paying a fair rate for the labor, and not min allowed by law. Think on that a min.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
if an "association" were to be like a "destination"... I would offer an alternate perspective of what was "attempted in some depth" ..as well as some alternate "destinations"....

From my perception, through the creation of a charter & by-laws, a "vehicle" was created, with one or more destinations loosely in mind, the foremost of which was creating an "entity" under which ownership & operating decisions for Signs101 could potentially transfer over to, from it's current sole proprietorship status.

While the above list of association benefits above is not unfamiliar, I don't think any of those things were ever attempted in depth, because they are examples of the scenery one might seek, after arriving at the "destination"...

The "vehicle" was by no means running like a well oiled machine at the time "the idea was abandoned" , but in my opinion, it was a fully operational vehicle, built to a fully functional degree of road worthiness, and in whatever boneyard it currently resides, I still have little doubt it was built well enough that it could circumnavigate the information highway for many many years, given the right crew, and more importantly, a consensus on the right destination(s)

The problem I saw, was that a handful of folks agreed to go for a ride, but spent time building a vehicle instead. Without doubt, a vehicle is a good thing to have when going for a ride... but if you imagine a bunch of sugar crazed children crammed into the backseat of the family station wagon, bound for the promise of Disneyland... and then imagine those kids having to build the station wagon first...

...well, the promise of Disneyland was never realized because the bunch of sugar crazed children exhausted their interest in cramming into the same vehicle by the time the vehicle was built...

If the vehicle had been built privately, and then a crew selected (or elected(?) ...but that's another topic) ..I think the very same vehicle could have went much further with the very same children... er, I mean crew.

I could go on, but I'm getting flashbacks of exhaust fumes, Dramamine, slug-bug & cheap truck stop coffee :rock-n-roll:

:ROFLMAO: that brought back so many memories that I thought I had squashed outa my wittle bwain.
Without going back into it, maybe we didn't get to Dinsneyland, but it was still one heck of a ride... ya gotta admit that much. :thumb:

I learned a great deal of things during that and am still using them to this day. In fact, I was just at a meeting Tuesday night discussing Robert's Rules and the By-Laws of a private club where I belong. Even the club's two lawyers admitted they weren't quite up on these rules and said.... we don't have to really follow them, do we ??

Anyway, thanks again Doug, for some really eye opening experiences and stimulating conversations. :U Rock:

GypsyGraphics

hey, i could be the union steward, i even have experience!

i was a union steward for several years at Hughes Aircraft.
it was pretty fun, until i got canned for distributing anti-union buttons.

when i was given the buttons they said "I DON'T WANT TO STRIKE, BUT I WILL"
but when i handed them out they said "I DON'T WANT TO STRIKE, SO I WON'T"

i told them i wouldn't feel right asking people to wear buttons i didn't agree with
i was the only female steward and would you believe the big bullies actually said to me... "you'll do as your told"
:tongue:
dumb boys

iSign

...i got canned for distributing anti-union buttons.

...they said "I DON'T WANT TO STRIKE, BUT I WILL"
but when i handed them out they said "I DON'T WANT TO STRIKE, SO I WON'T"

:tongue:
dumb boys

they didn't like you tampering with their buttons?
sheesh.. they really were dumb boys :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GypsyGraphics

they didn't like you tampering with their buttons?
sheesh.. they really were dumb boys :rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh yeah... well... it was them saying "do as you're told" and actually thinking i would, that made them "dumb boys"...
and i'd tamper with you buttons too, if you thought you were the boss of me!!! :tongue:

charissabuskirk

This is a poll to see how many would support and join an S101 union. Then we can ask Fred about it depending on the results.

I have NO PLAN at all. This is just an idea I wanted to kick around and throw out there. Don't ask me about the benefits of it. I don't know what if any, it would offer as I didn't think about it much past the poll you see.

Seriously Addie, my first reaction when I see you've started a post....:covereyes:

Locals Find!

Seriously Addie, my first reaction when I see you've started a post....:covereyes:

and I care about your opinion why??

You don't know me you haven't been around long enough to know me. Since you have been on what a few weeks you think you can fit in with the big boys by trashing me. I have yet to see you contribute anything of value to anyone. So excuse me while I go try and give a $hit. (second cup of coffee gets me every time)

charissabuskirk

and I care about your opinion why??

You don't know me you haven't been around long enough to know me. Since you have been on what a few weeks you think you can fit in with the big boys by trashing me. I have yet to see you contribute anything of value to anyone. So excuse me while I go try and give a $hit. (second cup of coffee gets me every time)

Because I have, now, 16 posts to my name doesn't mean that I'm not aware of who you are here. In all honesty, it wasn't a complete bash on you, but you automatically went there because of the treatment you get here. And since you've pushed it in that direction....

Do you honestly think you HELP people here? My contribution to YOU would be: Keep your fingers off the keyboard, read and read some more, try to absorb some the of knowledge, and keep a low profile unless you have some valuable piece of advice to give.

:birthday:

Locals Find!

Because I have, now, 16 posts to my name doesn't mean that I'm not aware of who you are here. In all honesty, it wasn't a complete bash on you, but you automatically went there because of the treatment you get here. And since you've pushed it in that direction....

Do you honestly think you HELP people here? My contribution to YOU would be: Keep your fingers off the keyboard, read and read some more, try to absorb some the of knowledge, and keep a low profile unless you have some valuable piece of advice to give.

:birthday:

Why don't you take your own advice. Why don't you spend some time reading my posts, and keep your posts to yourself.

You will see the help I give to many noobs and others who have been here longer. I may not know everything their is to know about everything but running my own businesses for over the last 15 years has given me quite a bit of knowledge to pass along, and its useful for those that pull their heads out of their a$$es long enough to read it.

Pat Whatley

Don't listen to that advice Addie...post all you want about anything you want. This place is boring as hell when everybody is being too polite or too scared to post anything.

Locals Find!

Don't listen to that advice Addie...post all you want about anything you want. This place is boring as hell when everybody is being too polite or too scared to post anything.

Thank for the support Pat. I know we don't always see eye to eye, but I roll with the punches.

Your right this place would suck if it was all polite all the time. When I want politeness I can go to church. I come here to slug it out and share. This place is better than my neighborhood bar.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Addie, Addie, Addie..................

What are we going to do with you ??

chari, you definitely catch on quickly. You got him pegged perfectly. Addie has this thing in his head that he knows what he's talking about, but yet he backpedals just about everything he says or does.

I'm not here to bash the poor sole, but others should be weary of his contributions for their lack of content or insight.... when it comes to signs or sign making, from the digital end to the die-cut vinyls and especially to the hand-made items. He has nothing to offer, but again, has it in his head that he has some experience on these things...... when the guy has admitted he's a broker and not capable of doing anything in-house.... especially designing. He offers to pay people and then forgets to make payments. He asks people for prices and then denies he ever did it..... only to do it all over again.

The only reason he has a high post count is due to his constant barrage of empty posts.

:rock-n-roll:

Locals Find!

Addie, Addie, Addie..................

What are we going to do with you ??

chari, you definitely catch on quickly. You got him pegged perfectly. Addie has this thing in his head that he knows what he's talking about, but yet he backpedals just about everything he says or does.

I'm not here to bash the poor sole, but others should be weary of his contributions for their lack of content or insight.... when it comes to signs or sign making, from the digital end to the die-cut vinyls and especially to the hand-made items. He has nothing to offer, but again, has it in his head that he has some experience on these things...... when the guy has admitted he's a broker and not capable of doing anything in-house.... especially designing. He offers to pay people and then forgets to make payments. He asks people for prices and then denies he ever did it..... only to do it all over again.

The only reason he has a high post count is due to his constant barrage of empty posts.

:rock-n-roll:

Gino, Gino, Gino, When will you ever learn reading comprehension?? Have I ever claimed to know squat about digital printing?? I have ever offered advice to anyone on digital printing or making of a sign?? NO!

As for you comments about me not paying someone. Your talking out your a$$ once again, as that was resolved between me and the other party a while ago. It was none of your business as you weren't involved in the proceeding. So quit lying about me!!

I have offered advice based on my experiences. Such as screenprint, embroidery, promotional products and business management etc...

I am sorry my business model continues to offend you Gino. I guess the fact that I have managed to make a profit in a business without having to spend out thousands of dollars on equipment and employees really just must bother you. Since you have that huge shop to maintain and all.

You claim us brokers as lowly yet, you brag all the time about doing wholesale work for others in your area. That puts them in the category of brokers too.

So, the way I figure it. You just like to run you mouth because you got nothing better to do or anything positive to contribute to society.

Frankly, I am sick of listening to your self-righteous whining and so are many others on here. Go shove a sock in that mouth of yours for once, and let me be really clear.

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!! NO ONE CARES THAT I OFFERED TO SEND YOU WORK AND YOU TURNED IT AWAY!!! NO ONE CARES!!

Did you manage to comprehend that Gino? or should I attach it to a Chipmunk and you can drown him in your bucket and find the message.

slipperyfrog

This discussion has eroded to what my thoughts are on a typical union...

A Signs101 association sounds interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.