• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S101 Union Poll

Would You Join an S101 Union

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
This is an absurd concept and shows complete ignorance of what a union actually is. My guess is you guys are trying to get around union shop requirements which is just skeezy.

It's pretty sleezy and stupid to require your vendors to be union or you don't do business with them. Seems like a very cult like mentality and doesn't really benefit anyone.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What possible benefit would accrue to me by being a member of some collective?

SignaramaFL

'legitimate' use of a union bug.

...and that's pretty much it. aside from making a mockery of a life-sucking trade force that outgrew it's usefulness in the 70s.

haha fair enough, ya I know my grandpa was in a union but still not too sure what they are there for...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
not too sure what the benefits would be to this.... maybe more explanation?

A union or an association?

A union is an organization that represents members who are workers in negotiations with owners and management. Unions may or may not supply health and retirement benefits, education and certification. An association is an organization made up of members who have a common interest or profession. Benefits are numerous including:

• Development of educational materials, classes, etc.
  • Certification of members.
  • Development of marketing materials.
  • Group health and retirement benefits.
  • Representation in governmental regulation matters.
  • Local, regional, national and international structure.
  • Conventions and meetings.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred are you like Jim Hoffa:rolleyes::help

Not that I know of. I'm easy enough to locate and I'm not at war with the tea party or anyone else who doesn't share my views. I'm more like a doting father waiting patiently for his kids to start acting like adults. :ROFLMAO:

petepaz

Fred, the site is great just the way it is. we have members from all over the world, with all levels of experience in so many areas of the sign biz and related to the sign biz. what more could anyone want?
:thumb:

i think this union idea could ruin an already good site
we already pay/donate to cover the costs and get special benefits regular
members don't get for that. we have all benefited and also helped others benefit from this site.....if it's not broke don't fix it

SignaramaFL

A union or an association?

A union is an organization that represents members who are workers in negotiations with owners and management. Unions may or may not supply health and retirement benefits, education and certification. An association is an organization made up of members who have a common interest or profession. Benefits are numerous including:

• Development of educational materials, classes, etc.
  • Certification of members.
  • Development of marketing materials.
  • Group health and retirement benefits.
  • Representation in governmental regulation matters.
  • Local, regional, national and international structure.
  • Conventions and meetings.

That question what for the union, and thank you for the clarification.

OldPaint

union rules would never apply to this site. none of us have to have a spokesperson, safety program, wage setting, some type of accident protection, maybe a retirement fund. and we dont have disputes with how the owner is paying us, over working us, or just misusing us.
like fred said, an ASSOCIATION, or a FRATERNITY is more applicable.
how many belong to:
AMERICAN LEGION
DAV or AMVETS, or VFW?
MOOSE, ELKS, EAGLES?
MASONS or SHRINERS?
or PHI CAPA DELTA, etc?
this is more how we are as i see it.

WildWestDesigns

Naw, it was useful longer then that. My grandma is apart of a teachers union. Got a helluva good retirement package because of it. Teachers now don't have such benefits. I think whoever pays her retirement is waiting for the 97 yr old broad to croak so they don't have anyone left to pay that good retirement to.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So I take it, no one is gonna send a fruit basket to my wife when I die, if I don't join Addie's union.

Hey, what town hall or place is Addie gonna hold these meetings ??

Locals Find!

So I take it, no one is gonna send a fruit basket to my wife when I die, if I don't join Addie's union.

Hey, what town hall or place is Addie gonna hold these meetings ??

Hey, Gino. I am not promoting, sponsoring, or leading this idea. I just tossed it out there jokingly on a previous thread and some people responded positively. I just threw it out for you guys to discuss and bat around.

I like Fred's & OP's suggestion of an Association better myself.

routierracing

I can't imagine being "union" would really translate to bringing in enough revenue from union clients to justify the trouble and cost. Besides after you quote the work they will just pickett until you give them a better quote. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.