• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmr55

I have remained quiet on the subject at hand as I've been approached with an offer to do as such. While cheaper than I would have prefered, I will remain dormant while considering it.

Counter offer, tell them you have something HUGE in the works, see what they say.

mudmedia

Have not been reading into the post lately much been to busy but do want to let 3M know I spent 10 minutes typing to a customer who requested and asked if we use 3M material why we switched from 3M and the quality points of Oracal vinyl.

They did not mind one bit and we got a fleet of vehicles from it. Long story short guys do not think that 3M is a must have we have been happy with Oracal results.

CheapVehicleWrap

Have not been reading into the post lately much been to busy but do want to let 3M know I spent 10 minutes typing to a customer who requested and asked if we use 3M material why we switched from 3M and the quality points of Oracal vinyl.

They did not mind one bit and we got a fleet of vehicles from it. Long story short guys do not think that 3M is a must have we have been happy with Oracal results.

:U Rock::goodpost::cool1::thumb:

HulkSmash

Headed to 3m today with a couple of others. We have a meeting this morning. Went to the oracal booth. They presented me with a oracal laniart. Awesome guys over there.

CheapVehicleWrap

Headed to 3m today with a couple of others. We have a meeting this morning. Went to the oracal booth. They presented me with a oracal laniart. Awesome guys over there.

Hope you brought your halloween costume... that 3m nose so you can fight lies with lies. Here's a good one to tell them; the 3m 12 step recovery group is going offline. In the mean time I'll work on step 13.

CheapVehicleWrap

Is there an update to all this?

Well, I thought you'd never ask. Word on the street is http://www.originalwraps.com has realized there aren't enough certified installers and will allow dealerships to chose whomever they wish to do installations. At this point it appears they will continue pricing, printing, stealing your customers, undercheaping installers, and of course lieing about all of it. The wholesale price of lies is also scheduled to increase next month by 10%.

Last edited:

Sign Works

I've used Orajet Inkjet Media all along but just tried the new 3751GRA. Very happy with it's performance, printed and installed flawlessly. :thumb:

HulkSmash

I think it'd be best if 3M came on here and told everyone them selves what they plan on doing. I had an hr and a half meeting with them and a few others during the sgia. I don't want to "mis-explain" (not even a word) anything.. but pretty much they're trying to remove themselves from the equation and allow the dealerships to choose the printers.. and installers... but you have to get on the list 3m creates for them to choose from...that's the simple explanation.

CheapVehicleWrap

I think it'd be best if 3M came on here and told everyone them selves what they plan on doing. I had an hr and a half meeting with them and a few others during the sgia. I don't want to "mis-explain" (not even a word) anything.. but pretty much they're trying to remove themselves from the equation and allow the dealerships to choose the printers.. and installers... but you have to get on the list 3m creates for them to choose from...that's the simple explanation.

Bump

splizaat

and ur satisfied with that why?

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
Thanks for meeting with us, Adam. Unfortunately I was not at the meeting the meeting with you. I will check with those who were in that meeting and get back to all of you very soon with the specifics Adam is referring to.

Bill Brown

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Well, I thought you'd never ask. Word on the street is http://www.originalwraps.com has realized there aren't enough certified installers and will allow dealerships to chose whomever they wish to do installations. At this point it appears they will continue pricing, printing, stealing your customers, undercheaping installers, and of course lieing about all of it. The wholesale price of lies is also scheduled to increase next month by 10%.

Just got off the line with them. I had called them last week with a question about an MSDS for vinyl, and then followed up with me yesterday. I gave them my opinion on there service on the MSDS, which was fine, and then expanded on that with some of our concerns about OR.

Today, they called back, essentially making the offer to put us on their list for OR installs and "local printing". I told them we can't be bothered to do installs at such a low rate, and that they were in competition with us, so we wouldn't be interested in printing for our competition either.

He then had the gall to ask me (twice!) what we would charge for an install per square foot. Sure, I'd be more than happy to tell our competition what we charge so they can lowball it.:ROFLMAO:

Honestly considering going to the dealerships that I know they are at, and offering our services instead (at fair market value!) just to spite them on this.

jkdbjj

So basically 3M is forcing the commoditization of a product (vehicle wraps) that shouldn't be commoditized. It is to labor intensive and to many factors for smaller shops to do it for such low prices, it basically will force these smaller guys out of that game (me included), and leave the big boys doing many more wraps but for peanuts.

Better get what I can get while I can get it.

You got to love Capatilism!

cajun312

Just got off the line with them. I had called them last week with a question about an MSDS for vinyl, and then followed up with me yesterday. I gave them my opinion on there service on the MSDS, which was fine, and then expanded on that with some of our concerns about OR.

Today, they called back, essentially making the offer to put us on their list for OR installs and "local printing". I told them we can't be bothered to do installs at such a low rate, and that they were in competition with us, so we wouldn't be interested in printing for our competition either.

He then had the gall to ask me (twice!) what we would charge for an install per square foot. Sure, I'd be more than happy to tell our competition what we charge so they can lowball it.:ROFLMAO:

Honestly considering going to the dealerships that I know they are at, and offering our services instead (at fair market value!) just to spite them on this.
How much did 3m offer you per sq. ft?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
How much did 3m offer you per sq. ft?

In the past? About $2.50. Found out the dealership was making about $3000 for 4 alloy wheels, 2x 6" stripes, and a full roof graphic on a subcompact as an option. Who knows what 3M charged them.

3M Graphics

Merchant Member

Thanks for meeting with us, Adam. Unfortunately I was not at the meeting the meeting with you. I will check with those who were in that meeting and get back to all of you very soon with the specifics Adam is referring to.

I've gone back and forth about how to respond since connecting with the guys Adam met with at SGIA - do I provide a summary or do I provide all the details that were covered in the meeting? Here's the thing: which program do I provide the details for? How much detail do OEMs want me to share on a public forum about their programs?

It took a good hour and a half talking to Adam to answer his questions, to hear his concerns, etc. If you're interested in the program, or if you have a particular situation that you want to discuss, we want to spend that same time with you. PM us and we'll contact you.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.