• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyzero

Finished our 1st non 3M job today. We typically spend about $150K a year on wrap 3 m film. Was surprized at the films ability to react to the contours of this boat. I liked the Oracal film. Would recommend it to others.

Attachments

• FTW.jpg
    FTW.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 111

CheapVehicleWrap

Seems everyone is switching from 3M wrap films now for this very reason according to many threads on several wrap forums due to this http://originalwraps.com thing alone. Lucky for 3M they have other products for us to use rather than their wraps vinyl since there are several better and more cost effective solutions available now.

ProWraps

i can easily count over a million $/year loss just on this thread alone. thats a million $ of direct sales going to their competition. ooops 3m. i hope your dealership sales are doing well cause when every customer realizes with a pile shat product they are getting and go to the real wrap shops im going to laugh my anus off.

until them ill keep spending a REDIC amount of money on wrap film that has neither the number 3 or the letter m on it.

mudmedia

i can easily count over a million $/year loss just on this thread alone. thats a million $ of direct sales going to their competition. ooops 3m. i hope your dealership sales are doing well cause when every customer realizes with a pile shat product they are getting and go to the real wrap shops im going to laugh my anus off.

until them ill keep spending a REDIC amount of money on wrap film that has neither the number 3 or the letter m on it.

Good post...It will be interesting to see what you big shops that used 3m daily think of the product you are switching to.

CES020

$1,000,000 to 3M is meaningless. You're talking deals with major car manufacturers. $100's of millions of dollars.A company that large doesn't give a crap about sign shops or a $1,000,000.

Cale Frederick

Seems everyone is switching from 3M wrap films now for this very reason according to many threads on several wrap forums due to this http://originalwraps.com thing alone. Lucky for 3M they have other products for us to use rather than their wraps vinyl since there are several better and more cost effective solutions available now.

I'm doing my best to completly remove 3m from all aspects... Just today I needed to buy some electrical tape and almost the whole isle at lowes was scotch brand. What I got may not be as good, some generic off brand, but it's not supporting 3m so that makes me feel better.

ironchef

Same here. Was at home depot. Picking out an air filter for the shops ac unit.. saw a 3m filter. And laughed. Got some other brand instead.

ProWraps

$1,000,000 to 3M is meaningless. You're talking deals with major car manufacturers. $100's of millions of dollars.A company that large doesn't give a crap about sign shops or a $1,000,000.

your not a smart person are you?

rjssigns

While 3M is far better equipped to absorb losses, they, like any multi-faceted corporation wants all operating units to be profitable. In general terms even though Printing Products and Graphics falls under the 3M "umbrella" it nonetheless is a separate entity and needs to generate revenue.
Looking at practical terms only a handful of people on this site have already cost them over one million dollars in sales.

If what has been started here somehow manages to go viral and gains the requisite number of participants you will see a reaction from corporate.

HulkSmash

CES

Let me educate you. A million in losses over 2 days and between a few shops is
Pretty devistating. What happens when their distributers actually realize what they're doing. Ultimately they're hurting companies like fellers nd grimco more than us. What happens when other shops get wind. You need to open your eyes and look at the bigger picture.

mudmedia

not to mention as others stated. This will hurt more than just vinyl side, sure scotch tape and masking tape and filters are not a huge dollar item BUT it still is a sale that they are loosing because their lacking of business model.

3M has been hanging by threads and their name has been carrying them for years but that all seems to be changing.

NateL

Be aware....3msucksballs.com could open you up to potential libel lawsuits and whatnot. I'm sure they have plenty of dough to shell out to their lawyers to get such a site taken down.

a less aggressive, probably more affective domain would be 3mtruth.com. It is available. :)

Last edited:

HulkSmash

You cant' get sued for the truth. They can scare you. But nothing will ever go court. We have free speech for a reason. This is simply a review. And we are distributing the truth to the graphics world.
3M did this to themselves. Greed is clouding their judgement. They will stare at you in the face and deny they are competing. Bunch of ignorant desk nerds who know nothing about their product.

I was told by a specific 3M Rep that will remain nameless that the reason my laminate was turning myprints green was because I need the proper profile for the 8518 "vinyl". He didn't slightest clue that 8518 was a lamination.

I want to work for 3M. No really. Not know anything about what I sell. Not care about my clients. And still sell a ton.

JoshLoring

You realize that if everyone switches.. They will have NO certified shops to go to for installs.

This means.. They have to train dealerships because shops SHOULD refuse the work to their competition..

Which means crappy installs.. Because the guys at the dealership making minimum wage are gonna say f this..

Which means tons of warranty work..

Which means more loss.

fmg

Don't want to pop your bubble.Remember that 3M is a global force and you are just addressing this in the US market.
You all seemed to have forgotten about the whole wide world out there and that the US makes up a very small percentage in their global sales.

JoshLoring

Don't want to pop your bubble.Remember that 3M is a global force and you are just addressing this in the US market.
You all seemed to have forgotten about the whole wide world out there and that the US makes up a very small percentage in their global sales.

I'll make sure I SEO the anti-3M website globally to make wrap shops aware that they are the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.