• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sending large files via dropbox

SuncitySigns

Hey guys n girls

I need to send my printing company some large files.

The file(s) I have too send ( this one is a banner ) the size is 37.8MB and I have scaled it down by 50% already and its saying its going to take an hour to upload to dropbox.

Is this right or is there a quicker way?

Will I loose resoloution if I scale it down to say 25% or?

Sorry for the newbie questions

Thanks in advance
Shane

lazaros

The time taken to upload a file, is dependent on your upload speed, as well as the download speed of dropbox. Why don't you just drop it and let it take as much time as it needs?

If your file is a vector(if made with illustrator / coreldraw) Scaling it down won't make a difference. But if it's a raster image(pixels, as in a photo), then scaling it down might not give you the results you want. If you are going to scale it down anyways, try and make it actual size, and drop the resolution to 100dpi. this should get you a good printing result.

SuncitySigns

I was just making sure I was doing the right thing thats all mate, you dont know if you dont ask hey :)

The vector only files I make smaller then just give my printer the exact sizes, so I dont need to send massive files but its the raster/photo files that I'm worried about.

So say I have the banners I need printing, (Vector plus photo's) you say send them actual size, so 2.4m x .9m but drop the resolution down to 100dpi?

Would this still give me good photo quality prints though?

rjssigns

Send files at 25% of original size or send a cheap flash drive through the mail.

BTW we use YouSendIt

signswi

38MB is tiny get better internet. We use a variety of methods. WeTransfer, DropBox, YouSendIt are most common but also still plenty of good old school FTP. Compress before sending using 7zip or your choice of zip compression tools.

CanuckSigns

I agree, 38MB is tiny, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to upload.

even if you internet connection is super slow and it will take a few hours, who cares, set it and forget it.

Techman

why not just use DLNA servers. No need to upload.. Take the file straight from the server once.

anotherdog

38MB is tiny get better internet. We use a variety of methods. WeTransfer, DropBox, YouSendIt are most common but also still plenty of good old school FTP. Compress before sending using 7zip or your choice of zip compression tools.

Ditto, we send files 300mb plus all the time. I use sendspace, but there are many many free ones. I think you need to upgrade from dial-up.

Zakk

exactly

just used drop box for a 2GB file and it took a matter of minutes to upload

You must have some sort of Internet connection! We have a 10Mbps upload speed and that (2GB) would take hours to upload to Dropbox. To the OP, 38MB is not a large file (as everyone else has said), I regularly upload files at 100MB+ sizes from my cell phone to Dropbox with no issue and that takes about 15-25 minutes. 38MB, you could most likely zip and email, but definitely should not hesitate to send with Dropbox.

SuncitySigns

Righto guys il check my Internet speed. I have ADSL 2 the fastest Internet I can get in my area. The box is in the house though and my computer runs off the wifi signal from that.

TXFB.INS

You must have some sort of Internet connection! We have a 10Mbps upload speed and that (2GB) would take hours to upload to Dropbox. To the OP, 38MB is not a large file (as everyone else has said), I regularly upload files at 100MB+ sizes from my cell phone to Dropbox with no issue and that takes about 15-25 minutes. 38MB, you could most likely zip and email, but definitely should not hesitate to send with Dropbox.

Got to love fiber optics

Righto guys il check my Internet speed. I have ADSL 2 the fastest Internet I can get in my area. The box is in the house though and my computer runs off the wifi signal from that.

for a faster connection the computer needs to be connected with an Ethernet cable and not WiFi