• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seriously newb question about digital printing...

Big EZ Signs LLC

Ok, I admit this is a seriously clueless question. I'm wondering if there is a source for clear vinyl in 8.5" x 11" sheets that I can print on with a plain old inkjet printer. And then hopefully laminate. I'm looking to do some small custom decals, without getting a $10,000 + printer, or trying to work with a sub-contracter. Any thoughts?

Flame

Can't do it. Here's why.

1. An inkjet printer used transparents inks. They do not show up on clear properly. Sure you could see the design, but it would be transparent and honestly look like crap.

2. Adhesive sheets usually don't come in 8.5 x 11, especially clear.

3. The durability, even laminated, wouldn't be there. They would be poor quality decals, and they'd have to be square cut, and your cost would be higher than most sign shops!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Flame, you’re only partially correct.

So many sign shops are doing exactly what SignNutz is requesting, but with terrible results for the very reasons Flame explained.

You can get the clear at just about any Office Max, Staples and so on. The shops that use this technique are what upset the apple cart for the rest of the industry. They pass these off as being outdoor durable [because they laminated them], but the ink won’t hold up more than a few months. A-a-a-nd because they say it with authority to the unknowing customer, it slowly becomes a reality.

Is it good practice. No !! This is the kind of cutting corners that has ruined the industry. If you can’t afford the proper equipment, then don’t knowingly give your customer [or victim] a poorly made product.

Thanks for asking this in advance before you screw some innocent person. :rolleyes:

Flame

I know you can buy adhesive backed paper at officemax and stuff, but clear? ReallY? Guess I never looked. lol.

Didn't know shops were actually doing that either. That's .... pretty bad. And I thought buying a Mutoh was being kind of cheap!

Baz

Your best option SignNutz would be to find a shop in your area that will do them up for you.

tamiya

Hello all. :Welcome:

I have used the transparent (acetate?) sheets before, they appear
coated with some transparent inkjet-receptive compound.

I print on them with my Epson Stylus Photo (pigment ink?) and even
then they are nowhere as 'bright' as printing on a white surface.

Have tried waterproofing them with Clear Acrylic spray sealer and
also laminating type materials... but eventually water will still seep
underneath and ruin your print. They will never be waterproof/permanent.

Weirder still is... for the prints that I have done and kept in dark dry place,
the ink has spread (bloomed?) under the sealer... makes it look real wierd.

Nowhere near 'pro' quality by any overactive imagination.

Methink I need a printer that can do white ink on raw vinyl... :tongue:

f3rri

YOU CAN Do Signage!!! WELL, SOMEWHAT

We'll you can do car magnets with a new 3m product. I think you can use laserjet and color copiers to make them. 2 part system, You print reverse on an acetate then apply it to a magnet that has control tack. Not execactly what you want but it is a way to do signage cheaply without the equipment.

petepaz

we use a clear film in our epson 4800 to print films for burning screens and we have use it to make nameplates/labels depending on the use will determine how it will hold up
1- print on the clear 2-laminate front with clear 3- laminate back with adhesive the label will be about .008" to .010" thick