• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sewing a banner Hem

jiarby

Jason at Ed Raichert's in Phoenix sold me my Juki 1541 double needle lockstitch machine... Great service, and very patient showing me the ropes. They sell/service every brand and have been doing commercial sewing machine sales & service for three generations!

You can get used doubleneedle machines for $1500ish

sdcali619

we have some kind of neat contraption that "melts" a seem into the banners with some pressurized heat wheels. We also use to sub out our banners for heeming but we do so many banners that it made sense to get this thing. I don't have a picture hand as of now but I might be able to get one tonight at work.

sdcali619

It could be that, but I havea feeling we have one of those hot air seelers as well and this is something different. Here are some pics for everyone.

Attachments

• 2010-03-30 19.02.41.jpg
    2010-03-30 19.02.41.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 2010-03-30 19.02.56.jpg
    2010-03-30 19.02.56.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 140

mlboo

Go in to your local canvas or awning shop. those places have everything you need, and they may have an old used industrial machine that they would sell and teach you how to use.

Gordy Saunders

I use to sew everything on a little one stich maching that I bought from a sewing center for about $250.00. If you go that way make sure the innards are made of steel and don't have any plastic parts. You have to sew everything twice to make a double stich - pain in the butt.

I decided to try tape about 4 or 5 years ago. I have not had one problem with tape. I have banners that have been up over a year. The banner wears out before the tape does. I'm in Florida.

I wouldn't go back to sewing for anything.

mark in tx

I bought a reconditioned JUKI LH-3128 Double needle lockstitch machine, with a new puller and a 1 inch folder for 2700 dollars. I use #69 nylon thread.

I just use folding tables around the machine.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We tape anything up to 4x8, oversize get sewn just for strength reasons.
Never had any problem with taped banners, even ones a few years old (used for annual events). There IS a difference in different manufacturers' hem tape quality though.

Brandon708

Is it worth getting a sewing machine and doing your own banners? Is it that much more profitable than just ordering them from fellers already made?

We have banner rolls here that we just use hem tape. But for banners that need to have strength we order them from fellers already sewn.

Rooster

A question for those of you that sew banners with a double needle machine.

What size offset do you have between the needles and how large a hem do you create with that offset?

Letterbox Mike

We use a 5/8" gauge. It seems to work well for a 1" or 1.5" hem and also works fine for sewing pole pockets... It's not too big, not too small.

signswi

We've tape hems for 10, 13, and 16oz and do a ton of banners with few returns. Almost always grommeted. For high wind areas or tensioned banners (light poles, etc.) we take them to a local shop that makes sails for sailboats and have them sewn. If we need even more strength we have re-enforcement strips sewn in with D-rings but at that point you have to be careful because the mounts might fail before the banner does and that can be really problematic.