• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shackled with OMEGA, help.

os101king

Buying out a small shop I've been running for a few years now. Owner loved his Edge, and when we updated from Graphix Advantage, he went with 2.0 Omega, against my advice. Now that I'm buying out this shop, it's saddled with GERBER software and a woefully inadequate CX24 plotter. I need to update to a digital printer/contour cutter/laminator setup, and I have the funds to do it. I do very little large format, so I think the 38" would do handily (of the mutoh jr. i believe?). My biggest question is this. Is it feasible to run a printer other than the edge using OMEGA as your initital software? I only do my vector desiging there, I do most digital in Adobe Ill/PS. Please, no Gerber reps placing comments. I trust Gerber about as far as I can throw them.

Secondly, if replacing this crapware with Flexi (or?) is the best bet, does anyone want to buy a (slightly used) copy (with dongle) of OMEGA? Disregard the "crapware" comment. Really. It's a great program by a great and honest company. I swear.

I also have one slightly used Brooklyn Bridge for sale. Any takers? :rolleyes:

Techman

Larger printers need a RIP software. Not sure how you are printing in illy unless its direct..

iSign

get Flexi. Has a built-in rip, & can be used to run the edge, but I use Flexi only for my digital printing... I'm far happier to have Omega on a seperate workstation for my edge.

I do all my design work in Adobe .ai or .psd also, but then import to Omega for edge, Signlab for cut vinyl, or Flexi for printing.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

os101king said:
I trust Gerber about as far as I can throw them.

Opinions are still like a..holes - everyone has one, huh? Admittedly, my only experience with another manufacturer besides Gerber is with Roland. I've never gotten a single acknowledgement from Roland for any help.

Now Gerber, on the other hand, has yet to fail me once since 1982. Somebody has to be the best, build the unexcelled best, and be the top dog in the market. Guess who it is? When Roland ignored me, it was a Gerber guy who wrote and emailed me program code to paste into Omega to solve my issues. I'd bet nobody in here could say their manufacturer ever helped them with a competing company's machine. I also would bet no other company's machine built around the time my first Gerber was ('82) is still working today. I know where my first one is and it's being used on a regular basis - without a single bit of serious maintenance ever having been required. Say what ya want - I know where the best money I ever spent went.

iSign

I gotta agree with Arlo on his post. Plus the software designer shows up here on his personal time to help us out.

Marlene

Not too sure where the can't trust in Gerber is from as I've been using their stuff, both software and hardware and materials since the 80's too and have never had an issue with the company, their reps or their products. I would recommend their products to anyone as I've always been happy.

Geary

I agree with you....the Omega stuff is problematic in the two shops I used to work at. I'm with Doug 100%. The set up he explained in his first post is exactly what we switched to and it solved ALL the problems. :thumb:

~Gear

ps......the bottom line is, of course, always what YOU....the operator....can deal with best. Go with your guts on scenarios like this.

threeputt

Os101king, I'm not sure my voice will help you or not. I run Omega 2.1 as my primary design software. I output to Roland 54", Edge, and cutters. Haven't had a problem with Omega software so I'm not sure where the "crapware" comment comes from. I personally don't agree with that assessment. Have had Gerber since the 4B, then Sprint, etc.

So it can be done. I don't know Flexi, but many posters here have it. Probably like any software it has it's plusses and minusses.

os101king

yeah, we've had plenty of Gerber equipment

Yes, we've had Gerber for a long time and yes, our Sprint IIb is still working. This doesn't eclipse the game they pulled when the first service came up and they changed internals on us that didn't need to be repaired. Funny thing being after that "service" the zero nine foils wouldn't run anymore. Wonder why? Oddly enough, the second service included "replacing" a couple other parts that weren't broken... guess what? Now we can't run the vinyl we used to use. So, good for you guys, but how about you not comment on my OPINION of Gerber and just offer advice? Thanks for all who did, I very much appreciate any help the people on here can offer. I've pretty much settled on a Mutoh and Flexi... 85% certain on this now.

I didn't even mention the constant conflict with Adobe CS and the constant crashes and errors none of the Gerber "technicians" have had answers for. Even at $xxxx an hour. That is, when you can get them to call back. (and no, I'm not running a 386 on windows 95....)

Thanks again, all.

Mucho thanks especially to Allen who went completely out of his way to open a PLT from Omega in another program to check compatibility for me. Ahollow is his member name. Great thanks!!

iSign

os101king said:
...but how about you not comment on my OPINION of Gerber and just offer advice?

No Deal, your whiney misdirected, conspiricy theory OPINION of Gerber is childish, unreasonable & deceitful, so while I won't offer advice, I will remind you that Gerbers senior software technicians presence on this site is far more valuable to the majority of members then your selfish 3 post contributions, so how about you taking those opinions elsewhere!

threeputt

Agree with Doug. We're just trying to help. Sometimes our opinions will mesh and other times not. That's life. No need to get cross with others and type testy comments.

I empathise with you. It's frustrating whenever you can't find a solution. (short of dumping your design software)

Good luck.

animenick65

We use Composer in my shop and I'm not happy with. its always crashing and doing stupid things. The envision we have though is a champ. Things almost 10 and runs awesome.

Mark L

We used gerber for over 10 years, and they always got back to us when we had any questions or problems.
Everyone has program issues, and when it comes to programs that hugh their will be hickups. So to just diss gerber then ask help from many who use gerber products, not going to go over to well

Arlo Kalon 2.0

animenick65 said:
We use Composer in my shop and I'm not happy with. its always crashing and doing stupid things. The envision we have though is a champ. Things almost 10 and runs awesome.

Sure sounds like a hardware issue - not Composer.

fatpinfield

software for sale?

How much do you want for the omega software? I just got a Gerber Embosstrack 24" for side work outside of my current job, and need software.