• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shinerite vinyl on box truck with rivets

tintguy31794

I've personally never had a problem with 651 over rivets.. I do take them out if possible, but going over them I typically just plow over with the hard card while the app tape is still on, when I remove the app tape heat for 2 seconds and conform to the rivet. I'm not standing by this method as the best, but in my limited years of experience I have never had anyone bring anything back to complain.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Intermediate ShineRite over rivets? Dumb move...
It will shrink, tent, fade and fail.

And who the Heck removes rivets from a box truck?
Screws on a trailer maybe but never rivets...

gnatt66

shinerite is the stickiest floppiest cal. vinyl i've ever used. it might have gone over the rivets well right now...but it will tent and shrink like crazy. dirt ring will appear in weeks. ive installed rolls and rolls of it on race cars..its awesome stuff for that purpose. way more conformable and less "brittle" than 651 if that makes any sense.

with that said..cast is the way to go if at all possible, but he knew that.

NextDoorGraphics

Boy, tough crowd! I've installed a lot of A6 on trailers w/ perfectly acceptable results. The vinyl will tent up mildly, but the client was in a similar position and simply did not want to pay for high performance vinyl. I did these 4 and 5 yrs ago - I saw one just last week and it looked fine.

OldPaint

i have say one thing positive here........IF he cleaned the rivets PROPERLY, and rest of prep was done right............SHINE-RITE HAS THE MOST AGRESSIVE ADHISIVE ............of any vinyl!!!!!!! IF......he worked it down and around the rivets............IT THERE FOREVER!!!!!!
i use a lot of shine rite, and you got to be super careful when weeding it............if a piece of the disguard TOUCHES the weeded letters...........MAN IT IS A BEAR TO SAVE IT!!!!!

Brandon708

Good point Old Paint.

People forget how important prep is and the time you take to make sure everything is right.

Ultimate

Thanks for the advise!

I Want to thank those who read my post and gave me advise. Those who are in this forum just to tell people how much better you are at sign making need to get a life. My project turned out great. :rock-n-roll: I was going to post pics but I figured some of this haters might try to call my customer and say some #%@!~ !! . I really don't feel like proving anything to anyone, I am a bit to old for those games.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No need to get bitter.

I'm sure it went well for you. The one thing you need to remember is that calendared vinyl has a unique and strong memory. Check this job out in about 6 months or so. Many rivets or screw heads might and most probably will pop out again. The vinyl that is.

I'm a firm believer in Shinerite, but not for what you just did. Maybe one or two here or there, but not on an area that is riddled with rivets.

Personally, I didn't see any lousy attitudes towards you or your request, other than some might've worded it a bit harsh, but it's only because this question has been asked over and over again with the same attitudes back from the requester themselves.

Let's see next year like around May or June what this trailer looks like and see if you put up some now pictures and later pictures.

Brandon708

please post it. I would like to see how it turned out. I have a ton of shinerite vinyl and would like to know it's limits.

OldPaint

i can say..........i have a couple TREE SERVICE companies i do, and all of have 4-5 yr old SHINE RITE on em.............and no problems. and most of these take a beating.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
i can say..........i have a couple TREE SERVICE companies i do, and all of have 4-5 yr old SHINE RITE on em.............and no problems. and most of these take a beating.

Yes, but do they have rivets or screws galore all over them ??

I have a ton of trucks and trailers we've done with it too.... for many cheap-skates, but none with lots of rivets unless we missed them all with super small lettering going in between the problem areas. Anyone can manage to make a few rivets work into their design, but to cover over a large amount is wrong, by all industry standards and all professionals alike.

Calendared is just a bad idea no matter how you look at it. When going over something the manufacturer tells you not to, the distributors tell you not to, your peers tell you not to and you want to see if you can do it against all odds. What's wrong with this picture ?? So, let's see a picture, then.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
How much was the cost savings compared to cast film? not much. Especially when you consider the cost of the truck itself...

Getting calendared film down over rivets is more labor intensive than cast. Did you charge more for labor? If not you should have.

Keep in mind the colors will fade quicker especially in that Texas sun, when the tenting happens it's vulnerable to blow-out and tear around the rivets when power washed.

Your name is attached to it now and could very well cost you future work down the road. I've had many customers come in over the years bitchin' about another sign company's crappy decals that didn't last.

Last edited:

OldPaint

gino, was answering BRANDON 708..........
"I have a ton of shinerite vinyl and would like to know it's limits."

J

john1

Just use quality cast on this job and you'll be fine.

In reality if you don't already know, It's your professional choice to what material to use. The customer has NO IDEA what they are doing which is why your doing this for them as a service.

If they wanted a wrap, you wouldn't offer, well we can do oracal 631 or ________ would you? They of course would pick the cheapest one but you would in the end, end up with no hair cause you pulled it out and a headache of a install and alot of crumbled balls of vinyl lol

Brandon708

Old Paint thats good to know. I always use Oracal 651 but a member on this site had 29 rolls of Shinerite for sale that I bought. So I have all 29 colors that shinerite has available.