• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I change my business name?

Should I change my business name?

• Yes

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

weaselboogie

Change your field...
Maybe you could be a master debator or a cunning linguist.

willl i need to spell this out for anyone?....

high impact

Change it for sure!

Make it simple but similar - JJ's design

OR

Change it completely - A Flamer's Choice Design

'er...something like that, you'll get it. ;-)

Idea Design

I agree that a change is in order. I've never been a fan of acronym business names. There are so many around here it's hard to keep track of them all much less distinguish one from the next. My boss is a board member on the chamber here and at one of the recent meetings there were 22 companies represented there that all had three letter business names. Blah.

Think of something that's totally outstanding. By that I mean out of the norm, not wonderful. The screen printing company I started with a partner we called "Nasty Jax" The wife hated it, I put my two companies together two years ago with a different name, and people still remember that name.

Good Luck.

Aardy54@54-Design

I'd stick with your original and make your off-shoot (division of J J W) as your niche' market name/logo.

"Flamed Out DeZynz"

I have the same tradename, but a base overall logo, then a lesser known "racing inspired" logo for my motorsports niche' market - working well so far, the regular commercial customers dont get shocked by an evil jesterhead skull (motorsports side) and the racing group isn't put off by my "catch-all" logo.

It's tough to separate it and still maintain some level of continuity overall, but if you can just section it off into the 2 divisions, it should all work out just fine with a name/logo change thats focused towards the 2-wheel appeal :)

Poconopete

Why change? If your doing well leave it alone. If you feel you need a swoosh the then be creative with your logo. Burn the proper initials into everyones head. You've got talent, you can do it.

Marlene

the double J's is probably the problem that people are having trouble with. You've built up a good reputation so a complete name change might hurt. You could work on making a change by dropping one of the J's and go with JW Designs. It sounds better as the double J's kind sounds like a kid's nickname. Once you get people used to that, you could come up with a new name if needed and keep the JW Design as a division of. I don't think it would be a great idea to totally change your name as it seems like you have customer's that seek you out and you sure wouldn't want to lose that.

Lunatic Taskbar

Have you considered asking your current clientel what they think, you may have a nickname that you can build on to create a stronger identity. and I don't necessarily mean flamey. its just how some people remember you. You may be hypathetical a plumber and a heating engineer, your business may be called abc plumbing, but if your clientel refer to you as "the plumber dude", or such then thats who you are to them. they wont recognize the "abc plumbing" no matter how you market it.

D

DARLAK

how could a name chage hurt you when you admit nobody can remember your name????

how about this one:

dirty nazzzztee flamarooooski designs and other oddities

Doyle

I think that if you plan on being in the biz for a long time, then now is the time to get the name straight, and not another 5 years down the road.

I agree that the J J W is kinda dull and these types of names are overused. Think long and hard about it because once you change it, you will likely never be able to do it again without detrimental effects. You have the creativity to come up with something good, and make it something that you can apply to both markets. Don't sound too corporate or too MX, find a good common ground and use a different logo for each market. Something that the MX guys will like to show off on their bike, and another logo to use with the sign biz with a bit more of a professional look. I WOULDN'T use the word FLAME in your name at all......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
HaHa........
Married one week and already wifey wants him to change his name....:wink:
The 'JJ' part rhymes and is fine but the 'W' kills it.... and like mentioned.... none of it really fits with the trade.

Rather than beat yourself up over it and make a haste decision, I'd let it go.... something must be working or you wouldn't be growing. You can shorten it when you answer the phone and just say JW's Designs.... or JW's. People understand when shortening these kinds of things. I hate it when a person answering the phone sounds like they're reciting the 'Gettysburg Address' and when they're finished I forget why I called.

signage

I think that if you are planning to change your identity you should run it past every one here and your best customers to see if it would help!

Marlene

I totally missed the thread that you were getting married!!!! Congrats and best wishes for a long and happy life together!!!