• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign companies raping other sign companies

tsgstl

Also, I have seen some creative marketing to get work from other sign shops. But I have never seen a wholesale sign installation service. It's not a commodity item.... yet.

I have used 2 different companies like this in St. Louis so I'm sure there are more. They usually have a handful of light changing contracts. They know there way around electrical and have done plenty of sign work to handle just about everything. Every once in a while they need some vinyl for a sign repair. They just aren't very good with dealing with selling. Very affordable and loyal.

Mosh

WAIT, I will roll in, put my "lil Giant" on the top of my ruck and hang it for $20, where you at? Pay the gas and the beer to get there...WAIT, it is going to be AT LEAST $300 in beer for me to roll out to MARY-LAND!!!!

Bly

Sign shops are some of our least favorite customers, don't get me wrong, we have a few great ones, but for the most part they expect you to drop everything and work on their project for nothing.

You are not entitled to wholesale pricing just because you happen to own a sign business.

Haha. Yep.

J

john1

Cut that sucker down with a chainsaw, remount at a respectable eye level height and bill em for it.

Made my night. Thanks! Lol

I guess i don't understand anything, I'm trying to expand my services and no i didn't invest into a bucket truck like some but why would i if it's something i am gradually getting into needing. I went from making car "stickers" when i first started to now doing strictly business accounts and now i am getting quotes for signs that need installed above ground. It just would be nice to have a reasonably priced install company so i can get my game up on the install end and then get my own truck. Just because i get a handful of quotes for something i don't typically do doesn't mean i'm going to invest thousands into that equipment when there are install companies i can contract the work to.

Sorry if i offended anyone, Not my intention at all. I just thought it was crazy how the one company for $250 which i thought was a good price said they offer wholesale pricing for other companies then the lady said "I think you got 25% off retail". Kind of seemed fishy to me.

401Graphics

Getting a bucket truck will pay for itself, especially if you rent it out to anybody that needs it for something. Like I said get into a local auto action and get a used verizon truck cheap. If you could get one as cheap as I did it will pay for itself fast, and you could sell it for twice what you paid for it.

I have had a couple of sign shops use my truck before, and I do not give discounts on the rental, my prices are more than fair. If I were to do that sign for you I would probably charge around $150-$200

You also gotta keep in mind that driving these trucks eats gas like you wouldnt believe. I usually spend around $40-$50 in gas each time i rent it out. and thats only like 15 miles of driving.

skyhigh

No wonder places are going out of business with clowns like this charging a arm and a leg for simple work.
:covereyes:
Oh my john..... Are you bitchin over $250? Go buy your own truck then lets see how much liability you want to accept for a couple hundred bucks. Like someone mentioned.... This isnt commodity work.

I got my truck inspected last week.......needed 2 new tires and i told then to change the oil (!5 quarts) also. My bill was over $!k.

Wake up john. For them to charge less than $250, THEY would be the clowns going out of business.

skyhigh

curious...... What would your WHOLESALE price be to them, if they dropped or scratched one of your 30 x 60 faces?

How many panels are we talking?

visual800

I own an older bucket truck. 92 ford f450. its old but dependable UNTIL it busted a hydraulic hose. I replaced and damed if another didnt bust. it will be back on ebay in about 1 week. I pay $400 per year for liability (which aint bad), the tires and mechanics are expensive as hell and the gas OMG we are talking 6-8 mpg while on rd and of course its running while working, it can suck 1/2 a tank easily.

I give other sign compnaies a damn good break on installs when i use this machine. however others may have larger payrolls than I so I can understand them charging more. The price you got was very good and seemed about normal. Sure you can go get a lift and go up there and do it cheaper BUT if you paid them to do it it would be done and your gone, much easier

Craig Sjoquist

John ...2- 30 X 60" this is something you can do by yourself up to about a 4 X 8 ft

I own scaffolding so for me... wheels, adjustable legs, 2 sets of 6ft & a 4 ft on top for safety if needed. .....buy it all used in good shape if ya can

A rope & a panel vise grip or a 2nd person to help for set up & bringing up panel & set in on larger panels.

I done this 37 years when it gets larger then 4 x 8 or 10 ft the wind gets very healthy largest I've done was 6 x 12 with help not sure I would do that again.

Yes the price $250 was with in reason ...But with scaffolding you can do this yourself on this type of job.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Two things came to mind reading your post...

1. Why didn't you have an install cost before you quoted the job to the customer? $250 is very reasonable for someone to do the install for you... and that cost should have been passed on to the customer. Yes - it would have made your retail price to them higher than the previous sign you did - but it should be. More labor involved the higher the sign is.

2. 14' is scaffolding height around here... we regularly do 10-14 foot above ground installs without a bucket truck. Very rarely do we need to hire one, but when we do I don't expect an extra-special "I'm another sign company" rate unless we do mutual business that is discounted. When I call other companies for pricing, yes - I ask for a wholesale price... but I sell the product based on the price I have to pay.

As far as wholesaling to other companies... we print for a few locals. Are we the cheapest? Not by a long shot. But we are quick, convenient and the product is good that we put out. Our average discount to other companies is 15% or less.

Mark this up to learning the true cost of doing business. And I'm a little curious... what price would have been reasonable (in your mind)?

CES020

So much truth in these posts! When we started, I was meeting a variety of sign shop owners through networking events. I met one that could do things we needed done from time to time, and I felt we could do things for him. I took some vinyl work to him, he charged me retail price. I spoke to him about working together on a number of things, he said he was interested. Went back for more vinyl work. Retail price. Went back again, he didn't even know who I was, and treated me like a brand new customer he'd never seen before. Charged me retail price.

We bought a vinyl plotter :)

We've put people into 2 groups. Those that charge us wholesale and those that charge us retail. I'd say 80% of the shops around here think retail pricing is wholesale. We have people telling us wholesale printing is $10 a sq. ft, without laminate. Some people want to do wholesale, some don't, and I think by their pricing, it's apparently which one's don't.

We do wholesale work for other sign companies fairly frequently and we constantly discuss whether it's worth it or not. One aspect is they almost always provide the files in the format you need, which makes that easy, but they often call on Tuesday, want it on Wednesday, 1/2 the time they supply material and that material is hacked up crap they pulled from the scrap pile, and most of them don't seem to care about branching out and offering more things together. Then there's always the dirtbags you let into your door, and they go right to your existing customers and try to steal them.

In the beginning, I thought wholesaling was a great idea. After doing it for 3 years or so, I'm not so convinced that's the case.

Out of all our wholesale customers, I'd say I have about 2-3 that I trust without question. They are fair in their pricing, they operate professionally, and they treat us like we're a partner, not a supplier. Those few and probably the only reason we continue to offer it, but those people are hard to find.

ironchef

200-250 is not a bad price, one of my moms friends from back on the day was doing an install and a strong gust of wind made him fall and well, he is in a wheelchair now. Also here in miami, cheapest place in america, to take down and install back up, runs from 150-200.

signage

I rent out my truck for $100 first hour, $50 each additional hour, 1 hour minimum.

401 what is your insurance for renting this vehicle?

The insurance Co's I talked to were a lot higher if the operator wasn't on your payroll.

Also getting it safety inspected (the boom) is costly when renting, and the insurance Co's require this for renting.

So how can you rent it for such a low price?

Pat Whatley

I guess i don't understand anything, I'm trying to expand my services and no i didn't invest into a bucket truck like some but why would i if it's something i am gradually getting into needing....(deleted).....It just would be nice to have a reasonably priced install company so i can get my game up on the install end and then get my own truck.

Sorry man, that just stuck out at me. You want them to use their investment at a discount for you so you can take enough of their business to become a competitor. That's what you're saying there.

Jillbeans

I don't install signs.
I do sub out an installer and get their price first, then I write that right into the proposal.
It's all part of doing business.
I just finished up a job where the install was only $50 cheaper than the actual cost of the signs (over $1400)
If it wasn't for the installer, I would not have gotten the job.
Love....Jill

ddarlak

Go Bills!
how do you even respond to this thread....

your a joke, these shops are not here for your disposal, they purchase equipment with the intent to make money.

If it wasn't for me not having access to a bucket truck or scissor lift

IF is the biggest word in the english language....

Give me a lift and i could have those faces swapped in 1/2 hour

Give me - sounds like you don't understand capitalism? go get your own!

Marlene

$250 sounds right to me too. that 15 minutes on site may sound like all there is to it but they have to get there, set up the rig, most likely stand around waiting for cars to be moved, do the job and then go back to their shop. that 15 minute job will turn into a couple of hours fast.