• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign companies raping other sign companies

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lol funny how people think I received the job before knowing the install costs. Not sure how that came into the picture.

I said I had a job to quote, you know people call you and ask to have a job done, hardly getting the job first but alright.

$250 was reasonable, I explained this
in a few posts why I thought they were being fishy about it. Jeez

Oh and ddark, your a joke. Your replies always make me laugh. Why so serious? Lol

Gino, you think I'm pissed? Yeah right I just got off the floor laughing. Such a simple job of swapping out panels and your talking about basically having to be a electrician while I'm at it. You worry way too much, Did you take your meds this morning?

Luckily I found a bucket truck finally and will be quoting and hopefully getting the job.

Thanks all!
No john1........

Didn't take any meds.... but I think you may need some.

Are you just stubborn or just thinking stoopid cause your new wife is watching in on your business and you're trying to show off ??

You wanna grow, but you think small and work even smaller. 6 or 8 months ago, you were bragging how everything was going your way and you gave most of the credit to s101'ers for helping you, then wanted to throw parties and sh!t for relatives and whatnot. Two months later, you're complaining about not having any work and everyone is muscling you outta the picture in your area. You're always whining about business, but yet, you don't show and symptoms of having any business knowledge to begin with. Therefore, we just have to imagine what it is you DO know and are capable of doing.

Again, you wanna grow, but you look pure and logic advice in the face and scoff at it.

Let me give you a little example. You're up there in your rented bucket, change out the faces and have to do a little trimming, because the faces are about 1/16" too big. You boom back down and trim the one, take it back up and it fits, now you remove the other one to trim it and drop it. It breaks and you have to make another one. Hopefully, it didn't cause any damage to anything else like a car roof, the truck you're renting or someone walking by. So you have to order another face, decorate it and rent that bucket again. You get it up [at no extra cost to the customer].... you get paid, leave and everyone's happy. A week later, you get a call from this guy saying his sign doesn't light up or it's looks weak and flickers. You say, well I didn't touch any of that. Now, he's not accusing you of breaking anything, although he easily could, but wants to know why you didn't test it before putting it all back together ??

Your answer will be....

1. I'm not electrician
  2. You didn't ask me too
  3. I don't know how to do that
  4. You need to get someone out there that knows what they're doing
  5. Sorry, I can't help you

Any one of those opens you up for naming you in a claim, because any responsible sign person, working on a sign, will inspect any kind of sign and check for faulty wiring, bad connections, replace the lamps automatically, be sure all brackets are tight and not failing and most of all, give the sign a bill of good health when leaving.

However, you want to grow your business and laugh at things you should be at least considering doing to grow your business, but that's right..... I'm the one that needs meds...... not you. Guess I'm not thinking straight. :doh:
Some day, maybe you'll grow up and start using.... maybe not mine, but some of the more professional people's advice here and then you will grow.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think he said $250 was high, he said he thought the $400 was high. So 99% of the posts on here agree with exactly what he said, yet some of you go after him like he did something wrong.

He said $250 was reasonable. He said he thought $400 wasn't. There are many replies that said "$250" would be there price. So all that said that agreed exactly with John.

See the title of his thread and then see how many people told him it was fair, before he back-pedaled his earlier statements.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I said I stand corrected. Did you miss that?

Yes, I did. Wasn't bashing you, either.... just pointing things out.

Not trying to drive home the fact, but this is not unusual for many members here to give out cross signals, as the OP has done... and then retract or back-pedal things after they can't edit their post. Besides confusing facts, there are the numerous times people don't have a clue as to what they're saying to begin with and makes for it to be hard understanding.

It would be so nice, if people knew how to spell and write in their native language, just so others could follow along. That would make life so much more simple. :peace!:

J

john1

lol Gino.

I am back pedaling all my statements, It's so apparent.

I don't know what you are reading but i never back pedaled anything. I said the same thing what 2 times now but yet people still think i was saying $250 was too high.

Ddarlak is reading this, I am anticipating his post as i know it will give me a good laugh.

Now everyone here knows business for me right now is slower than molasses but how come some people (not naming anyone) who are supposed to be so busy in this industry have time to sit and post reply after reply on a forum with me? Hmmm

Marlene

just so I can keep up with this, is this correct?

thread posted because OP felt like charges for sub install too high?

most said no, about right cost

OP agrees $250 OK (?) [this is where it gets confusing]

what is the issue, I've lost track...

HulkSmash

Nobody owes me or any other company anything. Funny how some seem to think that is how i am. If you say i am getting wholesale install pricing, then when i question the pricing and you said "I think you got 25% off retail"...Seems fishy to me.

John, no one gives wholesale on labor, that's dumb. you can't pay your guys less because you're doing work for another sign company..

Joe Diaz

I wouldn't worry too much about Marlene, You see when a sign company is raped by another sign company, The sign company that has been raped has ways to shut that whole thing down. So all is good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whatever john1. It's whatever you want it to be.

Like mentioned before, if you're as confusing with us, who have a feel for this kinda stuff, I pity your customers who gotta try and sift through your mumbo-jumbo and do business with you.

As for being busy and having time to be here..... you should be so lucky we are. Otherwise, you would've closed your doors long ago and started selling waffles at a shoe store with your understanding of business.

If you wanna really know how busy I am, seriously.... PM and I'll honestly tell ya. :cool1:

klemgraphics

No john1........

Didn't take any meds.... but I think you may need some.

Are you just stubborn or just thinking stoopid cause your new wife is watching in on your business and you're trying to show off ??

You wanna grow, but you think small and work even smaller. 6 or 8 months ago, you were bragging how everything was going your way and you gave most of the credit to s101'ers for helping you, then wanted to throw parties and sh!t for relatives and whatnot. Two months later, you're complaining about not having any work and everyone is muscling you outta the picture in your area. You're always whining about business, but yet, you don't show and symptoms of having any business knowledge to begin with. Therefore, we just have to imagine what it is you DO know and are capable of doing.

Again, you wanna grow, but you look pure and logic advice in the face and scoff at it.

Let me give you a little example. You're up there in your rented bucket, change out the faces and have to do a little trimming, because the faces are about 1/16" too big. You boom back down and trim the one, take it back up and it fits, now you remove the other one to trim it and drop it. It breaks and you have to make another one. Hopefully, it didn't cause any damage to anything else like a car roof, the truck you're renting or someone walking by. So you have to order another face, decorate it and rent that bucket again. You get it up [at no extra cost to the customer].... you get paid, leave and everyone's happy. A week later, you get a call from this guy saying his sign doesn't light up or it's looks weak and flickers. You say, well I didn't touch any of that. Now, he's not accusing you of breaking anything, although he easily could, but wants to know why you didn't test it before putting it all back together ??

Your answer will be....

1. I'm not electrician
  2. You didn't ask me too
  3. I don't know how to do that
  4. You need to get someone out there that knows what they're doing
  5. Sorry, I can't help you

Any one of those opens you up for naming you in a claim, because any responsible sign person, working on a sign, will inspect any kind of sign and check for faulty wiring, bad connections, replace the lamps automatically, be sure all brackets are tight and not failing and most of all, give the sign a bill of good health when leaving.

However, you want to grow your business and laugh at things you should be at least considering doing to grow your business, but that's right..... I'm the one that needs meds...... not you. Guess I'm not thinking straight. :doh:
Some day, maybe you'll grow up and start using.... maybe not mine, but some of the more professional people's advice here and then you will grow.
:goodpost: My thoughts exactly!
I don't know everything or have all the answers but you definitely think way too small... If you want to get the big jobs and make some real money you need to pony up and spend some cash for the tools to do it. Or just keep making "stickers" for peanuts.

I'm not trying to bash you, but if you were around me and wanted me to an install like this you wouldn't get a discount, hell I might even charge you more just because it would be more of a pain than if I was making the faces myself. Don't expect people to go out of their way to help you out and do it cheap, it won't happen.

J

john1

Lol to who still thinks I said $250 was too high.

They were raping on price because they said they offer wholesale rates to other companies and then said they THINK I got a 25% discount. Good lord people.

I guess I think too small, I'm sure those guys saying that have never done a small job. Get over yourselves.

skyhigh

for sale...... $14.7k firm.
New inspection last week.

:cool:
no joke!!!

Attachments

• 1002101117.jpg
    1002101117.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 69

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See, there you go again.... assuming what everyone thinks..... or is. Always worrying about the other guy. Worry about your own and what's in your backyard.

We're a small company, and we do many jobs under $100.00. We do them all week long, but we have a nice backlog from $100.00 jobs up to many thousands of dollar jobs booked out til the end of the year, with many jobs going all the way up til next fall.

Just this morning, a girl e-mailed they are gonna proceed with the job, but had some other things done instead and cash is slow, so they're gonna do it in the Spring. That's a $3,800 job I know I have in about 6 months.... in the middle of one of our busy seasons.

We have primarily four busy seasons..... summer, fall, winter and spring. A few weeks a year, we get a little slow, but for the most part, we're going balls to the wall about 45 weeks a year.

Can you say.... think big-ger ??

401Graphics

I own an older bucket truck. 92 ford f450. its old but dependable UNTIL it busted a hydraulic hose. I replaced and damed if another didnt bust.
Yes maintenance isnt cheap on these things. Blew a tire out on the corner ove a curb pulling into a customers driveway, that was about $130. I had a hydraulic fitting start leaking due to rust, It was a $30 fix, but that shot up to around $300 once I decided to have 2 hoses, another fitting, and a filter replaced. Preventative maintenance is your friend. My bucket truck will get anything it needs because it is the only vehicle that MAKES me money.

CES020

Can you say.... think big-ger ??

When he "thought big-ger", by quoting a job he couldn't do all himself, you yelled and him and told him he had no business thinking bigger.

John, we've all been there. Most of us have walked in your shoes. Most of us have needed the work and had someone either ask us to quote a job or do a job that we had no idea how to do. I still do it today. People bring things through our doors all the time that I have no idea how to make or complete. In the end, we get it done. We might not make a killing on some of it, but we learn. We learn new materials, applications, techniques, and suppliers. All which helps us later down the road.

Don't let anyone kid you, most everyone here's been in your position and tried to quote things outside their comfort zone.

We quoted a $90,000 job a few years back. Said at the time that if we got it, we had no idea how we'd do it. But, I knew I could figure it out if the time came. We ended up missing it by $500. I don't know if that was a blessing or a curse.

Hang in there, keep plugging away. You'll find good, fair priced subs the more you get out there and get work that requires it. It just takes time.

klemgraphics

Lol to who still thinks I said $250 was too high.

They were raping on price because they said they offer wholesale rates to other companies and then said they THINK I got a 25% discount. Good lord people.

I guess I think too small, I'm sure those guys saying that have never done a small job. Get over yourselves.
Nobody said anything about not doing small jobs. Most do them all the time, the difference is that everyone saying that has the capability and know how to do the bigger jobs that can potentially have good margins. If we had to rely on the <$100 jobs we'd be sunk.

Take skyhigh up on his truck, we have almost the exact truck and that's a good price. Then you can rape everyone and laugh all the way to the bank.

I'm doing some install work for another sign company right now and they never asked for a discount and I never offered, everyone has to be profitable.