• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign companies raping other sign companies

HulkSmash

John this might make you feel better.

I just paid 2k to a company to install about 4 hrs maybe 5 worth of work, to install 2 sets of small channel letters.

Profession and special equipment go a long way.

ForgeInc

Wow, you still don't seem to get it. $250 seems like a great price. Consider the alternative, even if you COULD rent a lift for 2 hours @ $75/hr (doubtful, but let's consider it.)

How much time is it going to take you to haul your signs to the install location, go get the lift, tow it to the install location, get lift ready, install signs, tow it back, drive home, and fill out all the paperwork and related other bits of time suck involved?

Wow, such rape and fishy-ness!

Just mark up the install cost and move on, sheesh!

laserman70

If your gonna complain about paying people to do your work for you....
Change it!!!!!
shut your pie hole and buy a truck for yourself...

704signs

I just did a tiny job ( 2 ADA plaques ) for $125.00 and I felt that that was a fair price. In my head while I was reading the original post $250.00 was my price for this job. As an installer we are often not told all of the facts and are often having to modify and adjust stuff that has been provided due to lack of a decent site survey. In the end nobody cares what you had to go through to get the job done. Then after you knock it out and help make the guy you did the job for look good he often puts off the payment for 45-60 days.

Farmboy

John,
I'm not sure how long you've been doing this as a living. I also realize you may not have found your niche just yet, some people know right away and some may stumble upon it. Either way, it seems you've been on this board for at least a few years...you need to figure it out and find your way. There have been some VERY good post here that you should take to heart. The saying "You need to spend money to make money" stands true, but you need to focus and know where to spend that money. Above all, be the BEST at what you do, no matter what that is.

Marlene

If someone tells you your getting wholesale pricing, Then you question it and they said "I think you got 25% off". That to me is them raping you aka screwing you on pricing.

the attached is a line from a quote I received this morning...should I be calling 911 as I have just been raped? 25% is a fair wholesale discount. it is a lower one for sure but it isn't a screwing on the price.

Attachments

• 25 percent.jpg
    25 percent.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 91

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When he "thought big-ger", by quoting a job he couldn't do all himself, you yelled and him and told him he had no business thinking bigger.

John, we've all been there. Most of us have walked in your shoes. Most of us have needed the work and had someone either ask us to quote a job or do a job that we had no idea how to do. I still do it today. People bring things through our doors all the time that I have no idea how to make or complete. In the end, we get it done. We might not make a killing on some of it, but we learn. We learn new materials, applications, techniques, and suppliers. All which helps us later down the road.

Don't let anyone kid you, most everyone here's been in your position and tried to quote things outside their comfort zone.

We quoted a $90,000 job a few years back. Said at the time that if we got it, we had no idea how we'd do it. But, I knew I could figure it out if the time came. We ended up missing it by $500. I don't know if that was a blessing or a curse.

Hang in there, keep plugging away. You'll find good, fair priced subs the more you get out there and get work that requires it. It just takes time.

I don’t think you have your facts straight. I don't recall ever yelling at him in this thread, at all, and after looking back…. I didn’t. In fact, I started my first one as gently as I could, since the OP seems super sensitive with any kind of criticism. After my initial post, I continued it along the same lines of not being harsh and he just constantly dodges responsibility for back-pedaling. Call it what you/he like, he can’t cut it. Anyone who encourages him to push forward is doing him and anyone else in the future reading his rants would be well advised, not to follow suit as he does…. a major disservice.

Whether it be you or someone else the OP will listen to…. he needs help…. and desperately.

As I said in one of my posts, we do this kinda work all the time. In no way am I making fun of him, you or anyone else. What I’m trying to have people avoid and in explaining to the OP so many ways… is the need to grow your business, through knowledge and do a complete job and not be half-a$$ed about his/yours or anyone’s procedures in growing. You can’t expect to play with the big boys, if you can’t even talk the talk. Someone around the business a long time gets to know a bullsh!tter when they hear or see it. They also can tell an eager beaver willing to learn and honestly wants to grow, but the right way…. with wisdom and experience. There’s no back door for coming into business, unless you were born into the business and it was just given to you regardless of your abilities.

An old friend once told me to never turn a job down, but to say, yes… we can do that and give a two week time frame. In that two weeks, know inside out what it’s gonna take to do that job and do it right. You don’t let things up in the air like obtaining a permit, how to get up in the air, what happens if something goes wrong or let any other loose ends dangling that are gonna nip your balls right off.

Anyone playing to the underdog is just peachy, but be sure you’re not giving the underdog bad advice. Ya wanna help….. then help him/her. Just don’t be cruel and give false hope with your good intentions and leading them astray. They need guidance and in the case of this OP, he needs guidance and someone he can trust. He’s gun-shy about everything and spits it back in your face… everytime

ForgeInc

Curious...if the OP was told "it will cost you $350, that includes a 35% discount to the trade" would he think that was too high?

Honestly sounds like you don't have a grasp of how much stuff costs, if you did, you would realize the fact the price is solid and the fact you were told " I think that includes a 25% discount" wouldn't matter, cause you would already know.

Right?

iSign

i bet your always going to get the "john" pricing. if your this much of a train wreck making a disaster out of a thread on signs101, i bet they see you coming all day long and give you the john price....

Bingo, ddarlak!

...after nailing this open & shut case the moment after it was posted, in one of my rare drop throughs here on S101, while on a vacation this week... it's hilarious to see that instead of "oh yeah, you're right... equipment overhead and liability... got it, thanks" ...the fact that there is 4 pages of discussion reminds me of why I no longer have time to follow the fun as much anymore...

unbelievable :covereyes:

J

john1

the attached is a line from a quote I received this morning...should I be calling 911 as I have just been raped? 25% is a fair wholesale discount. it is a lower one for sure but it isn't a screwing on the price.

You must not get it even 4 pages later, I was told i was getting wholesale install pricing. When i asked what the discount was vs retail they said "I think you got 25% off retail".

What you are not getting is, I did not say 25% wasn't enough discount or that the $250 was a high price. The point is the company didn't even know the discount i received after they said i would be getting one. I found out today that the company charged me retail and didn't include any discount after i was told they did wholesale installs. Good talking to managers to find out the real story.

To all that were decent to me in their replies, Thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You must not get it even 4 pages later, I was told i was getting wholesale install pricing. When i asked what the discount was vs retail they said "I think you got 25% off retail".

What you are not getting is,
I did not say 25% wasn't enough discount or that the $250 was a high price. The point is the company didn't even know the discount i received after they said i would be getting one. I found out today that the company charged me retail and didn't include any discount after i was told they did wholesale installs. Good talking to managers to find out the real story.

Actually, you're the one that doesn't get it after 4 pages. :readthread: Besides, reading the thread..... also, read your title.

It's one thing if you worded it wrong, or said something out of line, but you insisted you were being raped and you mentioned both numbers in your opening post. Two days after the fact and finally getting your story straight, just means you didnt have it straight to begin with and you flew off the handle ready to crucify these guys and their heathen ways of monopolizing the small guy who can't afford to do it his/herself.

So, get off the drama trip and just do some work or whatever it is, that you do. As tired as you are of hearing me preach and you laughing your butt off.... that's how I'm starting to see your threads, opinions and attitude..... and laughing my butt around......:ROFLMAO:
My wife looks at me and asks what is so darn silly that you're laughing so hard ?? I just tell her I'm reading one of Isag's old threads. :Oops:

J

john1

What you are not getting is,
I did not say 25% wasn't enough discount or that the $250 was a high price. The point is the company didn't even know the discount i received after they said i would be getting one. I found out today that the company charged me retail and didn't include any discount after i was told they did wholesale installs. Good talking to managers to find out the real story.

Actually, you're the one that doesn't get it after 4 pages. :readthread: Besides, reading the thread..... also, read your title.

It's one thing if you worded it wrong, or said something out of line, but you insisted you were being raped and you mentioned both numbers in your opening post. Two days after the fact and finally getting your story straight, just means you didnt have it straight to begin with and you flew off the handle ready to crucify these guys and their heathen ways of monopolizing the small guy who can't afford to do it his/herself.

So, get off the drama trip and just do some work or whatever it is, that you do. As tired as you are of hearing me preach and you laughing your butt off.... that's how I'm starting to see your threads, opinions and attitude..... and laughing my butt around......:ROFLMAO:
My wife looks at me and asks what is so darn silly that you're laughing so hard ?? I just tell her I'm reading one of Isag's old threads. :Oops:

I still can't get over how you make any money, All you do is post all day long.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I still can't get over how you make any money, All you do is post all day long.

How many times have I made comment to you directly..... don't worry about the other guy.... worry about yourself ?? It's not about the what if's or how to's, but being exact in your work or life...... and not being shooslicht. In other words..... being careless or out to lunch.

You really wanna know ?? Give me a day's notice and come on up some day. :rock-n-roll:

John L

It's really good sometimes... I went dune buggy riding three days last week and made my house payments while I was gone. Sitting on yer azz, or farting around isn't always an indication of a slacker.

J

john1

Yep. Pip pip hooray!

Attachments

• Pippi-Longstocking-Tv-Series-dvd-133.jpg
    Pippi-Longstocking-Tv-Series-dvd-133.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 107

Mosh

Can't read this whole thread but....after multiple bounced checks from "sign brokers" and other shops... I no WAY will do stuff for them anymore. Unless it is someone I know well.