• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sign Cut Too Short

Marshallmax

To make a long story short. I have two acrylic signs both (70’ x 70’) that need to go into a two sided box light on a pole out doors. The guy who was going to install the signs claimed that the box light is too big for those signs and the signs need to be 72 1/4 x 72 1/4. I’m not sure if this guy was blowing smoke up my a** or what. But if that is the case, is there anyway to adjust the frame inside the light box to fit the signs? Or could I maybe even bond the excess acrylic needed to make the signs the right size. I’ve read some things about acrylic welding, any advice would be much appreciated! Below I will attach an image of the type of light box I am talking about. The actual light box they are going into will be on a pole box light.

Attachments

• E92BE1B9-814A-4938-ABB8-893F1D145FCD.jpeg
    E92BE1B9-814A-4938-ABB8-893F1D145FCD.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 478

letterman7

Yeah, someone measured the visible face, not to the outside of the retainers. You *could* glue/screw strips to the edges to pick up the extra space as they'll be hidden behind the retainer. I'm not that proud to say I've never done that - I have - when someone else measured the same way.

Marshallmax

Yeah, someone measured the visible face, not to the outside of the retainers. You *could* glue/screw strips to the edges to pick up the extra space as they'll be hidden behind the retainer. I'm not that proud to say I've never done that - I have - when someone else measured the same way.

I really appreciate your willingness to be honest lol. That’s exactly what I was thinking. Bond the extra acrylic then bond smaller strips on top of the bond the better secure it. Seems plausible to me but I’m no expert.

Marshallmax

I'd be more apt to send some aluminum angle to site. If you replace that wimpy 1" with some 2" angle, it should make short work of all this.
Excuse my ignorance, but could you possibly elaborate for me what you mean? Maybe send me an example photo? Thank you so the advice!

player

He's saying the existing frame is 1" angled aluminum extrusion. The suggestion is to get 2" angled aluminum extrusion to replace the 1" aluminum extrusion framing. The additional 1" all the way around will secure the smaller face.

Marshallmax

He's saying the existing frame is 1" angled aluminum extrusion. The suggestion is to get 2" angled aluminum extrusion to replace the 1" aluminum extrusion framing. The additional 1" all the way around will secure the smaller face.

Genius, thank you all!

player

Genius, thank you all!
It might not be as easy as that. Remember your sign face is short and will most likely drop down to the bottom (of the bottom) frame. This means the visible face will not be centered. This may or may not matter depending on your graphics, but definitely worth looking into. You could glue strips to the bottom to reduce the lowering.

The box itself may not be small enough to keep the face in place. The face will also move left and right.

You never posted pics but the existing frame might not be just angled. That also needs to be looked into.

Sometimes it can be easier to redo the signs.

Last edited:

visual800

this gets my vote! simpler and cheaper than ordering new face AND the extra retainer size is better!

Martin Denton

I would get 2 inch ally angle cover the outside face in white vinyl, screw it in on to the inside of the box so the flat is against the inside face of the panel then slide my panels in and use some screws every 300 mm or so along the acrylic into the ally angle. paint them out white (play with the white paint to get the same shade as the opal) Fortunately, the tubes don't go to the edge of the box so there will be a bit of a shadow area there anyway so hopefully won't see the ally angle behind

Billct2

As has been said you can reconfigure the box to accept the faces.And it can be done so the face remains centered

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you get the correct size for the faces and re-do the whole thing, I'd hate to be the next guy up there having to service that sign. With the amount of capability you've displayed, this thing will be a nightmare to ever take apart, again.

MikePro

6ft acrylic?!? go with Polycarbonate!

in theory, you could "make it work", by fabricating a signcomp frame to reduce your v.o. & fit your acrylic, but making a new face is a hell of a lot less effort and $$$ than modifying the structure of a painted metal cabinet.

signage

was the sign cut to short or did the person measuring not read the tape correctly? If you make the retainers larger you are still going to need to correct the position of the face don't forget about that part! I would tend to agree with MikePro on the fix for this!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea you should be getting polycarbonite. I won't admit I've ever done this, but if I "did" I would throw a few (painted black) screws 3/4" from the bottom of the retainer, slide the new panel in so it sits on those screws, and then screw the face to the frame.

fresh

I just looked up the cost of a new polycarb roll stock panel, and for all the labor involved in fixing the framing to accommodate the smaller panel, i'd just say start over. Particularly since the graphics aren't even that big.

We've done the same thing btw, and had to replace two sides of a big sign :( But we only made that mistake once :)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
And as a side note.. Whoever is installing the sign panels needs to be the one who surveyed.

I've paid for surveys before and decided not to use that company because they were too high on the install, so I'd go with another installer and pay again for them to survey.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why is the panel sitting in the retainer right where the opening is... but seems to be falling out halfway though the sign? Makes it seam that the cabinet is not square.