• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sign Cut Too Short

MikePro

+1 i've done this as well.... survey measured the Visible Opening but wrote it as plastic size.
p.s. still, sign faces bigger than your body should always be polycarb... shatter-proof being the main reason.

surveys should ALWAYS have both visible opening AND plastic cut size to fit, or if no access until install then we just do polycarb faces and oversize the sheet to be jigsaw cut onsite to fit. Honestly, its shameful how many times I've had to clarify this over the last 20years... amazes me how people fancy themselves smart enough to read a tape measure, but fail to register what they're measuring for.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
amazes me how people fancy themselves smart enough to read a tape measure, but fail to register what they're measuring for.

An easy way to check that is to ask for photos of the measuring tape on the cabinet.

I always take pictures of it when doing a survey and that way there is no question how big it is.

20190904_135457.jpg
20190904_135444.jpg
20190904_135417.jpg

Marshallmax

Here is a pic of the actual box I need to make the sign fit into

Attachments

• 7752BDBA-9724-4912-A745-708C8FBC49D7.jpeg
    7752BDBA-9724-4912-A745-708C8FBC49D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181

Gino

Premium Subscriber

So, what was the picture in your OP about ?? This one is a pan face. You can't save that if it's the wrong size, plus you'll have hot spots all over it. You need exact measurements and pan faces created. Ya can't guess with those things, or you're out a whole lotta money.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

You shouldn't replace a pan face with a flat acrylic face. The lights will be too close to the sign face. The pan makes the face more stable so it won't bend or blowout.

So you don't know how to get an accurate survey, you're not using the correct materials, you need to rethink this entire project, you seem out of your league on this one for sure.

geckophoto

Any reason why you can not just take the 2” or larger angle and then just attach it to your sign (bead of liquid nails and screws) like a picture frame, have it larger than the existing sign frame so it fits OVER it like a shoe box cover and then fasten it with screws from the outside? Put some weather strip around the outside of existing box to keep water out. Cost you just the aluminum strips and fastening materials minimal labor.

fresh

yeah. this is a custom made pan-face. You need to know the outside dimension of the panel, the depth of the pan, and the flange width.

if you quoted someone for a flat panel, you need to go back and admit to your mistake. The pan face will cost at least 3x as much as a flat panel.

Andy D

I would offer to, as you said "splice in excess acrylic to make the signs the right size" and cover it
with a design element, such as a thick border of brushed aluminum, colored to match their logo.

Marshallmax

Sorry I wasn’t really clear guys. I’m not a commercial sign shop I do embroidery, screen printing, and small format digital printing. A “friend” sold me both of the signs for this box at $350 a piece. Not being familiar with large outdoor signage I trusted that he would give me the correct product I needed for that box. I wasn’t trying to cheap out, he even told me that they don’t produce “blow out” signs anymore and the acrylite sheet was the way to go. I didn’t have a picture of the actual box when I posted this but the second photo I uploaded is the actual sign.

Marshallmax

By the way guys, I also should add that the lights in that box do not work. And I don’t plan on being at my current location past this year so I am okay with the lights not working. So hotspots would not be of concern to me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sorry I wasn’t really clear guys. I’m not a commercial sign shop I do embroidery, screen printing, and small format digital printing. A “friend” sold me both of the signs for this box at $350 a piece. Not being familiar with large outdoor signage I trusted that he would give me the correct product I needed for that box. I wasn’t trying to cheap out, he even told me that they don’t produce “blow out” signs anymore and the acrylite sheet was the way to go. I didn’t have a picture of the actual box when I posted this but the second photo I uploaded is the actual sign.

Just to be honest, your friend is a complete idiot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If the lights don't work and no intentions of fixing them is in the future, just put the wrong size in there and screw it fast. The thing is junk, so just put junk in, too.

Marshallmax

If the lights don't work and no intentions of fixing them is in the future, just put the wrong size in there and screw it fast. The thing is junk, so just put junk in, too.

Yeah I definitely do not plan on fixing it since I will be out of this location at the end of the year. Junk it is.

Marshallmax

Any reason why you can not just take the 2” or larger angle and then just attach it to your sign (bead of liquid nails and screws) like a picture frame, have it larger than the existing sign frame so it fits OVER it like a shoe box cover and then fasten it with screws from the outside? Put some weather strip around the outside of existing box to keep water out. Cost you just the aluminum strips and fastening materials minimal labor.

I like your idea.