• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign making help NOOB

funghi2

SOrry for the noobage here , first post. I am a builder and I bought an HP designjet t120 to print my own construction plans on arch D paper rolls. Ive been using HP Everyday Matte Polypropylene rolls. I was sick of paper getting destroyed on the worksite. well it turns out the hp rep was wrong about it being waterproof. the set got wet and the colors bled. turns out after several frustrating calls the black ink is pigment based while the color is dye based and not waterproof. to compound the matter it seems even printing in grey scale uses some color. in any event there are always tons of signs you need to make for a jobsite and i was wondering if theres a way to use this printer to make these signs and waterproof them somehow. I tried a clear shellac but it did cause some bleeding. if not is a there a reasonable 24" printer you guys could recommend that could print using waterproof inks

letterman7

Because Designjets were always meant to be indoor usage. Get rid of it and get a true latex or solvent ink printer. You won't find one in 24" though..

Billct2

Three suggestions to work with what you have.
1. See if the printer can convert the printer to all pigment inks. This was an option available on their bigger printers.
2. You can clear coat. There are several options available, spraying but it is stinky and expensive or brush/roller application.
3. Laminate. If they aren't big prints it can easily be done (after a little practice) by hand on a nice flat smooth table.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based upon your profile page and your opening statements, I find it hard to help someone who skirts around regular sign shops to get the job done, but asks the very people he/she is hurting for help. However, this one time I will offer something up.
  • Learn how to spray laminate using your current printer.
  • Get a regular laminator.
  • Buy the correct printer.
  • Go to a professional sign shop who can provide these services.
I get ya wanna save money, but you've spent how much getting the wrong setup, you're looking at getting another setup and spending more and now getting more equipment to go even further ?? How much do you wanna invest to get $15 drawings ?? Makes no sense, unless there's more to this story.

funghi2

Based upon your profile page and your opening statements, I find it hard to help someone who skirts around regular sign shops to get the job done, but asks the very people he/she is hurting for help. However, this one time I will offer something up.
  • Learn how to spray laminate using your current printer.
  • Get a regular laminator.
  • Buy the correct printer.
  • Go to a professional sign shop who can provide these services.
I get ya wanna save money, but you've spent how much getting the wrong setup, you're looking at getting another setup and spending more and now getting more equipment to go even further ?? How much do you wanna invest to get $15 drawings ?? Makes no sense, unless there's more to this story.

printing on PP sheets my local printer wanted $5 a page (24x36). my set of plans is 150 pages. i need 3 sets. i found this hp printer used for $350, the rolls cost me 60$ a piece. Trust me im way ahead of the game. Printing on grey scale for the plans was good enough bc i keep them in a dry box. but printing a sign exposed to the elements is another thing. SO i havent wasted a dime, even the prints i made in full color that i did have to trash hp replaced the rolls and ink for me bc they gave me the wrong info.Im a diy'r at heart and I love to learn about new things. I am sorry you think i am hurting you by printing my own blueprints, not everyone is a customer for everything. i still use my local guy for many jobs just not this. so what im trying for here is do more with the machine i have since its sitting here. in any event thank you and everyone else for your advice, i think laminating is the way to go. seems tricky at this size, i see a 25" roller for $100 i may pick that up. Ill have to figure out which film to use as im sure theres a wide variety

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya see fung..... all those things have nothing to do with you skirting around sign shops. They are just your baggage for doing so.

The facts are... you come here asking the very people who you are hurting to help you. That takes a lotta nerve. However, if you convince yourself it's alright, then by all means, it must be alright.

After that last post, I hope you get what you need.

JPR-5690

Check out lexjet.com. They specialize in aqueous materials and equipment and while they might not always be the cheapest vendor they can be a great resource for figuring out out to use the equipment you already have.

For the price you paid for your current printer it’s probably worth the time / trouble to look into switching inksets rather than buying a new printer.

funghi2

I have every right to print whatever I want, as you have every right not to help me in that quest. surely you're not threatened by the few construction signs i print. im quite honestly baffled by your thinking on this. i help unqualified people literally constantly (twice today actually), I would never look at that as money out of my pocket. Im simply helping people. I like to do that. I like that ive gotten to a place where i can do that. I would imagine im not alone in that feeling. If you feel differently maybe helping people like me in these forums is not for you?

funghi2

Check out lexjet.com. They specialize in aqueous materials and equipment and while they might not always be the cheapest vendor they can be a great resource for figuring out out to use the equipment you already have.

For the price you paid for your current printer it’s probably worth the time / trouble to look into switching inksets rather than buying a new printer.

Im reading up on the different types of inks. i will check into this, thank you for your time!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Both pigment and dye based inks are not waterproof as far as I know. I leased an Encad 1000 water based wide format printer (pigment ink set) from the local Xerox dealer (they saw me coming a mile away - "Sure you can use this printer for exterior signage!") One drop of sweat during finishing or laminating and the print would be ruined. Lamination will work but it is a pain to get something printed - to finished mostly waterproof final print without a crashing and burning. Maybe things have advanced since the time I ran the 1000. There were a few waterproof papers & vinyl available at that time,supposedly it locked the ink into a sub layer of the material to keep the ink from washing away. I got rid of the printer before I looked to get some samples shipped in.
If you are just doing construction plans then you might get away with a waterproof poster paper and no lam, especially with you being in NY - maybe not much chance of a good sweat this time of year.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have every right to print whatever I want, as you have every right not to help me in that quest. surely you're not threatened by the few construction signs i print. im quite honestly baffled by your thinking on this. i help unqualified people literally constantly (twice today actually), I would never look at that as money out of my pocket. Im simply helping people. I like to do that. I like that ive gotten to a place where i can do that. I would imagine im not alone in that feeling. If you feel differently maybe helping people like me in these forums is not for you?

No fung, you have it figured all wrong. I'm not at all threatened by you, but the shops in your area have lost YOUR business to your methods of doing their work for yourself.

Take for instance, I gave you 4 perfectly good ideas along with other members suggestions and while you thanked us for them, you're still looking for that golden goose to help you further. You don't want help, you don't wanna figure anything out on your own, you just wanna take. You first blamed the manufacturer for not telling you something, but only later did you tell us, they reimbursed you fully. You just don't accept help all that well.

As for telling me I'm in the wrong place...... I do believe it's YOU who is in the wrong place if you get honest about it. You'll get help, but you're always gonna be looking over your shoulder, wondering what to really do, as you have nothing from which to pull information, except ask the people whom you are skirting around. Dangerous ground, buddy.

funghi2

No fung, you have it figured all wrong. I'm not at all threatened by you, but the shops in your area have lost YOUR business to your methods of doing their work for yourself.

Take for instance, I gave you 4 perfectly good ideas along with other members suggestions and while you thanked us for them, you're still looking for that golden goose to help you further. You don't want help, you don't wanna figure anything out on your own, you just wanna take. You first blamed the manufacturer for not telling you something, but only later did you tell us, they reimbursed you fully. You just don't accept help all that well.

As for telling me I'm in the wrong place...... I do believe it's YOU who is in the wrong place if you get honest about it. You'll get help, but you're always gonna be looking over your shoulder, wondering what to really do, as you have nothing from which to pull information, except ask the people whom you are skirting around. Dangerous ground, buddy.

You seem to be spending a lot of time here. So the HP rep selling me gear that didnt work for the exact application I told him i need is my fault? Let me try to break this down for you...I am looking into all the advice given to me here, whats wrong with that? lamination seems to be the best idea but that involves another machine, and other supplies and most importantly another step. RM gave me a lead that would just have me possibly switching the type of ink which of course would be much easier to implement if possible. Why dont you get back to what im sure is your busy life and stop wasting time with a thief like me? there are plenty of others here willing to offer their expertise. we can all do without your holier than thou comments.

funghi2

Both pigment and dye based inks are not waterproof as far as I know. I leased an Encad 1000 water based wide format printer (pigment ink set) from the local Xerox dealer (they saw me coming a mile away - "Sure you can use this printer for exterior signage!") One drop of sweat during finishing or laminating and the print would be ruined. Lamination will work but it is a pain to get something printed - to finished mostly waterproof final print without a crashing and burning. Maybe things have advanced since the time I ran the 1000. There were a few waterproof papers & vinyl available at that time,supposedly it locked the ink into a sub layer of the material to keep the ink from washing away. I got rid of the printer before I looked to get some samples shipped in.
If you are just doing construction plans then you might get away with a waterproof poster paper and no lam, especially with you being in NY - maybe not much chance of a good sweat this time of year.

lol the weather is horrible right now. will check out the poster lead thank you

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You seem to be spending a lot of time here. So the HP rep selling me gear that didnt work for the exact application I told him i need is my fault? Let me try to break this down for you...I am looking into all the advice given to me here, whats wrong with that? lamination seems to be the best idea but that involves another machine, and other supplies and most importantly another step. RM gave me a lead that would just have me possibly switching the type of ink which of course would be much easier to implement if possible. Why dont you get back to what im sure is your busy life and stop wasting time with a thief like me? there are plenty of others here willing to offer their expertise. we can all do without your holier than thou comments.

I could've sworn, you said you bought it used for next to nothing. Anyway, no need to break things down or try to explain...... you've done that several times and constantly change your storyline. You just keep on using people for your own gains and keep justifying the poor little ol' me angle.

Another thing, you can stop ordering me around anytime ya like. :toasting: It's not becoming from the likes of someone like you.

Don't worry fung, you'll get there............. :thumb: