• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Shop Meme

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The reason people will not post work on this site is trust. In the past several members have had another member contact the customer to make trouble for the person who posted just because they were ticked off at them. Since this site is an uncivil war zone no one in their right mind will post anything they've done. That doesn't make me or others armchair quarterbacks.

Sounds sick that someone would do that. To my knowledge no one has done that to me.

Marlene

Sounds sick that someone would do that. To my knowledge no one has done that to me.

It has happen to a few on the site. Even if you block out the phone number, all they need is the name on the sign to make trouble. It's not a good idea to post work and it is sad that it happens but it does. Just remember the next time you call out someone for not posting their work that there's a really good reason behind it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

It's not sick, it's the way people are around here. It's quite the norm for many.

Many people would show videos on how to do things and tried to help members..... only to have the names and phone numbers looked up and gone after by jealous hacks. This has/had happened several times to various members.

You guys who haven't been around a long time, have a lotta catching up to do as to why some things are the way they are. Some of us aren't just veteran sign people, but we're veteran forum people and have learned to deal with deviants, when they show up.

TimToad

It has happen to a few on the site. Even if you block out the phone number, all they need is the name on the sign to make trouble. It's not a good idea to post work and it is sad that it happens but it does. Just remember the next time you call out someone for not posting their work that there's a really good reason behind it.

I'm not convinced that is the only reason those who critique EVERYTHING others share don't post their own work. If I or anyone else does a beautiful sign for someone and handled it professionally start to finish then shares it here, I'm not sure what kind of "trouble" some crank could create for the poster who shared their work. If its a completed project, what could someone do, somehow figure out where the sign is and bad mouth the producer after the fact and get the customer to not enjoy their nice new sign?

Just to put my mind at ease and possibly convince me otherwise, I'm hoping for some credible examples of the "trouble" you describe with no names or identifying information shared.

If this is a problem big enough and happening frequently enough, then the site should police its members better and have a zero tolerance policy about any member breaking the inferred trust that participating suggests.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not convinced that is the only reason those who critique EVERYTHING others share don't post their own work. If I or anyone else does a beautiful sign for someone and handled it professionally start to finish then shares it here, I'm not sure what kind of "trouble" some crank could create for the poster who shared their work. If its a completed project, what could someone do, somehow figure out where the sign is and bad mouth the producer after the fact and get the customer to not enjoy their nice new sign?

Just to put my mind at ease and possibly convince me otherwise, I'm hoping for some credible examples of the "trouble" you describe with no names or identifying information shared.

If this is a problem big enough and happening frequently enough, then the site should police its members better and have a zero tolerance policy about any member breaking the inferred trust that participating suggests.

Toadster..... I'm gonna try to be nice and gentle for you, so you don't get bent outta shape.

It happened to several members. It was reported and they actually found out one or two of the culprits, but couldn't prove it. However, the damage(s) were already done. Has nothing to do with showing off your work or saying look at me..... look at me...... look at me, but more along the lines of just dim-witted jealous people for whatever reason, just wanted to get others in trouble. We've all lived it and some of the members are gone or don't come around anymore, so why stir up trouble and give this new membership more ideas ?? You want concrete proof..... use the search button. Anyone here more than 5 or 6 years will most likely remember it..... if they even paid attention to those particular threads.

Last, how would the site police the members even further, when it's impossible to know something until it's brought up ?? I mean, use your head...... can you thwart off someone going after your car or wallet if you have no suspicion ??

It happened years ago and is why most of us don't do it...... and you'll never know it happened or is gonna happen, until it's too late. Then at best, you either hafta do damage control or just stop posting up work.

Recently, I told someone I have a lotta stuff posted, but its either old stuff form decades ago or someone else's work, like I just did this morning. No one is gonna go after our customers and make up lies or spread rumors. Not even for your peace of mind.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Toadster..... I'm gonna try to be nice and gentle for you, so you don't get bent outta shape.

It happened to several members. It was reported and they actually found out one or two of the culprits, but couldn't prove it. However, the damage(s) were already done. Has nothing to do with showing off your work or saying look at me..... look at me...... look at me, but more along the lines of just dim-witted jealous people for whatever reason, just wanted to get others in trouble. We've all lived it and some of the members are gone or don't come around anymore, so why stir up trouble and give this new membership more ideas ?? You want concrete proof..... use the search button. Anyone here more than 5 or 6 years will most likely remember it..... if they even paid attention to those particular threads.

Last, how would the site police the members even further, when it's impossible to know something until it's brought up ?? I mean, use your head...... can you thwart off someone going after your car or wallet if you have no suspicion ??

It happened years ago and is why most of us don't do it...... and you'll never know it happened or is gonna happen, until it's too late. Then at best, you either hafta do damage control or just stop posting up work.

Recently, I told someone I have a lotta stuff posted, but its either old stuff form decades ago or someone else's work, like I just did this morning. No one is gonna go after our customers and make up lies or spread rumors. Not even for your peace of mind.

Then why do you insist on my posting my work??? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

Bigdawg

Just Me
Just to add to Gino, I was a moderator here for a long time as well as a friend of many of the members. There is/was nothing the site owners can do (other than ban them - and then they can still find a new name or identity to resign up) to stop people who act like a-holes outside of the forum. Nor, in my opinion, should they even try to. Suffice it to say that in this instance, I understand why people would not want to post their work.

Marlene

I don't need to "convince" you or give examples. Don't believe, then feel free to post away, do as you please.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Here is what I've been doing the last few hours... After many revisions and edits, this 4'x8' beauty is a modern take on a simple "massage" sign. Notice the properly placed red arrow points to the suite in this run down strip mall at the bottom, and "Massage" dominating the body of the sign. Typical signs use Arial Bold but I put a slight twist on it and picked "Roboto" for it's more modern notes. Properly spaced and painted hardware blend in seamlessly to the background. All caps screams "Massage" to effectively get the message across to passing motorist...turning travelers into customers and $$ in your pocket! Gino, you may want to visit here, I hear the endings are happy!

BIBuKdRv9WTemdU15NjcQmBFS6hg0tv3QLOCMW0Yoq7UyYBIKD0x9WN9FVfglK5vje5YKKCABF_GJhJ_-vwbWXP5K0mtfufZSwbDYi6wSvMadw65Gmf2HYcWiCyHys1xKy8IMcxWDZs=w639-h669-no

Marlene

Here is what I've been doing the last few hours... After many revisions and edits, this 4'x8' beauty is a modern take on a simple "massage" sign. Notice the properly placed red arrow points to the suite in this run down strip mall at the bottom, and "Massage" dominating the body of the sign. Typical signs use Arial Bold but I put a slight twist on it and picked "Roboto" for it's more modern notes. Properly spaced and painted hardware blend in seamlessly to the background. All caps screams "Massage" to effectively get the message across to passing motorist...turning travelers into customers and $$ in your pocket! Gino, you may want to visit here, I hear the endings are happy!

BIBuKdRv9WTemdU15NjcQmBFS6hg0tv3QLOCMW0Yoq7UyYBIKD0x9WN9FVfglK5vje5YKKCABF_GJhJ_-vwbWXP5K0mtfufZSwbDYi6wSvMadw65Gmf2HYcWiCyHys1xKy8IMcxWDZs=w639-h669-no

Nice work. I really love the excessive use of screws to hold the face in. The colors are awesome. Love how you matched them to the yellow concrete and that really pretty yellow stripe on the pole. Did you try the letters in crap brown to match the pole? It might have looked nice too. Great font choice!

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Nah..... I don't need to visit your relatives place. I'm perfectly happy at home.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Nice work. I really love the excessive use of screws to hold the face in. The colors are awesome. Love how you matched them to the yellow concrete and that really pretty yellow stripe on the pole. Did you try the letters in crap brown to match the pole? It might have looked nice too. Great font choice!

Matching the pole was an added selling point.

This is the 8th location they have opened in 3 months...all signs the same. All communication in text because no one speaks English. Pretty neat the translator they have on the phone.. I talk into the phone and it types it in Mandarin, they respond and it types in English. Tooks 30 mins to say Hello, how are you?

TimToad

Maybe the ownership should just create all new guidelines with an emphasis on "What Happens on Signs101, Stays on Signs101", fully enforce them, eliminate the geographical references to members, make everyone's user names Anonymous1, 2, 3, etc. and people can just talk about signs and never show anything they do or have questions about for fear of having some crank contact a satisfied customer and make some undefined "trouble" based on things done to a few members caused years ago by unnamed members who have been rooted out through internal pressure, kneecapping the offenders, etc.?

The extreme and most obvious irony of this issue is that the overwhelming majority of us who come here profess a desire for greater cooperation and camaraderie. The easiest way to protect and encourage the trust, mutual respect, and collegiality that matches the desired camaraderie level. Nobody offering up a finished project photo or seeking a layout or logo critique should have to

Ours is a visual craft and skilled trade. Everything we produce is right there for all to see and judge. Our competency, skills, expertise and credibility to assist and judge others in our craft is dependent on backing up those qualities with real world examples. Nobody offering up a finished project photo out of pride or seeking a layout or logo critique should have to sort through all the "I don't like it" or suppress the pride they feel about sharing a completed project and guess whether the people being critical are even qualified to formulate an informed opinion or have nefarious intent.

TimToad

The reason people will not post work on this site is trust. In the past several members have had another member contact the customer to make trouble for the person who posted just because they were ticked off at them. Since this site is an uncivil war zone no one in their right mind will post anything they've done. That doesn't make me or others armchair quarterbacks.

Maybe those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks or create enemies through the insults and purposely antagonistic things they post. I have had no hesitation sharing completed projects we're proud of, but will no longer do so given the uncivil war zone I confused with a place where peers, beginners, colleagues and suppliers could go to share experiences, seek advice, build camaraderie, etc.

SqueeGee

Didn't make fun of Robbie's wife, she was rude to me and I didn't appreciate it. End of story.

Brion(AMS) didn't make fun of my wife. He made a vague statement about her "being another story".

His interaction with us involved two unrealistic requests that we couldn't accommodate. One involved "using" our Class A Contractor's license and another was for our installers to assist him when we had already committed them to another client. I think he is confusing rudeness with not getting what he wanted.

Our business reputation is important to us. We have a lot of people counting on us - employees and clients. Sometimes that means we have to say "no".

Brion, I've been very patient with you but talking about a man's wife is dangerous territory. I would certainly not disparage your wife and if I did, I would expect a swift response.

Please read this slowly and carefully. If you mention my wife again, there are going to be consequences. You should understand this, resist the urge to reply and move on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Toad..... you've shared what we all did at one time. We all plastered these walls with our work, both novice and seasoned mechanics. However, when this sort of thing happens, you tend to duck and become a little leery of doing it. We ALL became gun shy probably by the second or third infraction. There were I think 3 incidents and then quite a time after, still another one. Therefore, none of us really have the need to show anything like that. You have some ideas, but they won't work, as you are depending on the 'Honor System' to work. What Happens here will go anywhere the immoral travels. Putting more rules and regulations on the membership will never create a safe environment, just a more sneaky one.

As for glass houses..... you only did it, because you didn't know any better. Now you know and the first thing outta your mouth is, you're not gonna show, either. What gives ?? Why not ??

I've told this story many times and it always fell on deaf ears. Now, that others have finally come forth, you believe this stupid conduct. That's fine, at least you now understand.

No hard feelings........... and I don't throw stones and you know it. You can stop the challenges, now. Thank You.