• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signpost puller?

bayviewsignworks

We've been doing a lot of real estate signs but I have a heck of a time getting the posts out of the ground. Anyone have a good rig, made one, etc. that works well?

AUTO-FX

I've heard the immigrants from Guatemala make good signpost pullers. They're very hard workers.

AUTO-FX

Sorry, it just popped into my head. Make a lever with a 2x6 and a cinderblock. Ratchet strap the end of the 2x6 to the post and step on the other end. Alot cheaper than buying something.

bayviewsignworks

Great - and thanks everyone. Yeah I'd love to use a tractor. Thinking about welding a chain to the end of a 2" x 2" tube and then use a fulcrum to lever them out. Not sure if that would be cheaper than buying one. When ground is frozen they're going to come out hard.

signmeup

Great - and thanks everyone. Yeah I'd love to use a tractor. Thinking about welding a chain to the end of a 2" x 2" tube and then use a fulcrum to lever them out. Not sure if that would be cheaper than buying one. When ground is frozen they're going to come out hard.
A 2x6 stud is better than 2x2 tube for this application. The tube will bend... the 2x6 won't.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pulling posts out in the middle of winter is a given around here that it 'Ain't Done'.

According to when the ground becomes frozen to the point of not being able to pull posts, we just tell our customers we'll get to it next spring. Everyone understands. If there happens to be a situation where the customer cannot wait due to legalities or properties being transferred, they understand the extra charge for the machinery needed to get the job finished.

There's always a way, but for the most part, they all wait.

CES020

We use the "Hi-Jack" and it's been the best $100 I've ever spent on a tool. It'll jack the post out of the ground even if it's got concrete on it (ask me how I know :) ).

I removed some handicap parking u-channel posts (40-45 of them), and it pulled one of them 40" out of the ground. I don't know who the idiot was that put one in 40" deep, when all the others were 18"-24", but it pulled it out. It pulled out 8 4" x 4" posts with concrete on them. Only issue with the concrete bottomed ones is you need to dig a scoop full of dirt out the top so it's not jacking against itself.

Search for Hi Jack. We got the medium of the line one. Their site links to ebay to get them, but I called them and it was actually cheaper by calling them.

Make sure you get the base too. We don't have that and wish we did (just need to take time to order it).

It'll pull a post in about 60 seconds. Just wrap chain around the post, hook it around the hook, jack away.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Farm Jack from Harbor Freight
some chain and a joor.

Quick, easy, and cheap....just like Gino.

I might be quick and I might be easy, but I ain't frickin' cheap..... two dolla, make you holla

Angry-Orangutan.jpg

Locals Find!

If your doing standard single arm post signs I have found just moving them left to right and front to back works fairly well. Then I just man handle em right up. I don't know about frozen ground though as I am in Florida. Just seems like a lot of work to haul around equipment to pull up a single post.

Another way we have avoided issues with putting them in to the ground was to insert a sleeve into the hole and then slide in the post. That way the sleeve just gets left behind, and then we backfill the hole. We make our own using sheet metal bent to size with a small weld. I think this might work better up North with freezing and all as the post wouldn't freeze into the ground.

Techman

3 scrap 2x4's

A frame of 2x4' for a fulcrum,

longer 2x4 as the totter

Length of chain..

Pull away.

5 bux at most.

Deaton Design

I always grab em and move em around a bit, then use the slate bar. I put a block next to the post, jam the slate bar into the post at ground level, and using the block I lever it out of the hole while my son pulls up on it. Dont know if I would want to do a bunch of them like that, but thats what we do for a couple.

MikePro

solid base, a 2ft. 2x4, car jack for a truck, and a power drill with a bit to manipulate the jack.

i've used it before on the H-frame style signs.... always wanted to find a way to make it work for 4"x4" posts (i was thinking just tapping a piece of angle iron to em) as I have a client that makes me install signs without concrete bases so that they can reuse/regraphic/relocate biannually. Such a pain pulling a 4x4 out of a 4' hole.