Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicone or construction adhesive, which is better?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by petepaz, Jul 31, 2013.

1. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i was reading another thread where someone suggested construction adhesive instead of silicone and i was wondering which is better or why you would use one over the other.
    i am installing some cut alum letters this weekend and normally i just use silicone on the studs and in the holes. never had any issues but if the construction adhesive will hold better i should probably use that?

Tags:
  2. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I'm a firm believer in Silicone!!!
    A quick story.....
    We were un-installing an awning at a local restaurant. Awning was up for about 5 years. When we had all fasteners removed, we still had a hard time removing the awning, as they had run a bead of silicone along the top edge. One guy actually stood on the frame, without it coming loose.

won't the construction adhesive get brittle?

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    very brittle

silicone all the way

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    wierd. wrong thread all of a sudden...

5. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    like i said i have always used silicone so just wondering which was better and now i know...thanks

6. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX

Attached Files:

7. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    My partner (and husband) refuses to understand that construction adhesive is not the best solution. It DRIVES me crazy. Do you have any specific instances where you point to the construction adhesive being the reason for failure? Maybe I can convince him once and for all that it is not the correct material to use.

8. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    any single part longer than 10" will struggle over time with construction adhesive. in about five years this adhesive will be crunchy dry. as the substrates expand and contract (all my work is indoor and it is failing at about the 10 year mark) the bond will split in half. yes it sticks to wood, acrylic, aluminum, etc. but it doesn't have any elastic quality. so when you see the failed part. it hasn't let go of either substrate. the bond has broken down the middle. for years it seemed like a great inexpensive adhesive. but now it's not coming near my work. i've found that a $9 cartridge of sika-bond lasts as long as two $4 polyurethane cartridges. the material just seems to flow different and make better contact because it's so elastic that it gap fills better. and it's not completely silicone it's a mix of silicone and polyurethane. i believe that's why it sticks so much better than standard silicone. it's the best of both worlds. sika-bond is stocked at my local lowe's. i've found that it often shows up and then is cleaned out in a few days. other pros know how well it works and just take all of them. i've started to grab what i can when i see it.

9. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Exterior grade Silicone all the way!

10. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    Just removed an awning 2 weeks ago - same thing.. it was held up by a (large bead) of silicone under the top frame bar. Just ran a knife along it and then it popped off.

Not sure how or why you had a guy standing on the frame?!?!?! What if it came off?

11. Kev41

Kev41 Member

Mar 30, 2007
  12. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    This... [video=youtube;E85qSYHSBIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E85qSYHSBIA[/video]

13. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    that stuff is a must try. it's like liquid VHB. would be great for places where long perfectly straight walls are possible. curved walls are always a disaster for monolithic pieces. this stuff would just be "squish it on" and go.

14. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ

Silicone.

The studs hold all the weight. Silicone just keeps them from working out over the years and keeps moisture out.

Just make sure you blow the dust out of the holes first...

15. TyrantDesigner

TyrantDesigner Art! Hot and fresh.

Mar 9, 2011
    Amarillo, TX
    While I love silicone, I've actually been looking for an alternative since some signage is going to be temporary and once you cut free the silicone attached sign, it almost always leaves a layer that takes forever for some maint. guy to sand off an interior hang space before painting.

I've heard wd-40 works to remove silicone ... but i've never seen it work on old silicone. Have you guys tried acrylic impregnated silicone caulk to attach? what about that entirely waterbased acrylic stuff? I read that you can use just rubbing alcohol on the waterbased one ... sound concept too since the alcohol breaks apart the bond in acrylics and latex paints temporarily. (try rubbing 91% iso alcohol on a wall ... if it's not oil ... it transfers the paint to the rag you are using ... it dries in the rag and bonds with the rag like it was always there.)

16. Rojo

Rojo Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Monterey Bay
    I'd really like to try out this Siroflex Mighty Grip and Grab. Anyone know of a distributer in the USA?

17. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    elmers glue...it tastes good too.

18. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    What can I say.....he's a 23 year old accident waiting to happen. It wasn't my idea, and he did catch hell. No excuse, but he did have ahold of the straps attached to the awning. :rolleyes:

And I didn't laugh until later.

19. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME

Same here. Having trouble finding anything at all......

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Just did a job this morning of 12" & 8" Gemini Minnesota letters and we were not allowed to stud mount, so after checking with my guy, got something called MS35. This stuff sets up in like a minute. It's tremendous and it's use is for almost anything.

We taped a plastic grooved strip for each line with the spacing predetermined for the letters. Put the schmutz on the pads, pressed it in place and held it there for like 30 seconds and went to the next letter. Til I got three letters down, they were 100% in place and holding perfect. No taping was needed.

Washing the wall first with soap and water and then alcohol, making our grid lines and taping guides in place, then putting the schmutz on setting them in place and removing the guides and then mounting the 8" x 96" sign for the gallery in solid steel took us from the time we got there until we left, less than 1-1/2 hours.

We even used the MS35 on the back of the gallery sign to hold it in place and then drilled 3 screws in for a little extra measure. It held that sign in place without the physical fasteners, but we just wanted to play it safe.

linerty.jpg