• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Skunk!

gabagoo

dont leave food out and you wont have skunks.

sickens me that you have to kill the poor animal.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Speaking as someone who lived for many years in what had to be the skunk and rattlesnake capital of the world, I should tell you that the absolute worst thing you can do with a skunk is shoot it. When you do they unload right then and there. I once 12 gauged one out of existence and for years there was a spot out in the field where the beast was vaporized that was uninhabitable because of the lingering vile odor.

The sovereign weapon for dealing with both skunks and rattlesnakes is a garden hose. Spray them with a hose and they'll leave peacefully.

If you simply have to kill a skunk, trap it in a live trap with about 15 feet of chain attached to it. When the skunk is trapped, drag the trap by the chain to the nearest body of water and toss it in, drowning the beast.

Apropos of nothing, did you know that when a skunk 'sprays' it's not a puff of atomized stuff like out of a spray can? Rather it's a stream viscous liquid just like you'd get out of a trigger style oil can. I know this because I once came across a really pissed off skunk caught in a leg-hold trap and got to watch it unload.

Mainframe

One time one of my dogs got nailed by a skunk, he got it so bad he came back dripping! I took him to the basement & scrubbed him with everything under the kitchen sink (literally) the only thing that seemed to put a dent in the smell was Murphy's oil soap, after I scrubbed him & everything around us with Murphy's the smell became milder. Just thought I would mention that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tomato paste will clean any animal or yourself from the odors. Clothes and stuff..... just burn it.

TheSellOut

Tomato paste will clean any animal or yourself from the odors. Clothes and stuff..... just burn it.

yeah right...maybe you, but not an animal! I had my dog outside with me one night while was BBQ'n and I see her take off like Signtech on a rampage into the dark. I had a sneaky suspicion what she was after and next thing I know I hear her start yelping and come bolting back trying to wipe her eyes the whole way. She got back by me and and her whole front half was dripping wet from Skunk spray. Needless to say she stuck to high Heaven.

Well I bathed her everyday for a week in Tomato paste, among other concoctions, and nothing worked. She literally lived in the garage for a month before we could let her back inside!

Good luck with the smell Mosh!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Humph.............

When I was a kid, my cousin's dog....a German Shep, chased down a skunk and got sprayed really bad. She stunk to the point that we couldn't stand it. My aunt gave us some cans of tomato juice and paste and we washed that dog for about two hours in the pond. When she came out... there was a slight lingering odor, but it didn't smell like skunk anymore. Now, maybe the pond scum helped. I think that crap could kill, anything it came in contact with. The bottom of the pond was like 5 or 6 inches thick in goo of goose and duck chit along with the rest of the stuff in there. That's the same summer I learned to ride a bike.... [motorcycles]. I was 9. That's a long time ago. The dog doesn't smell to this day, either...... I don't think.

ova

I always heard the tomato thing worked, but never had to try it. I think it was the acid in them that helped get rid of the smell.

Gino, how old is that dog now? According to how old you claim to be, that's got to be oldest living dog around.

Dave

Baz

In my early teens we had an Akita (kinda like a german shepherd / husky) that caught a skunk and while it was shaking the life out of it the skunk sprayed all over it. I remember it well because i was watching tv in the basement and i could hear my father screaming at the dog coming inside the house. The dog ran downstairs towards me and in a quick second i went from open arms to catch my dog to being overwhelmed by the stench. It was so strong it hurt the eyes!

We took all of our tomato can products and those of our neighbours and washed the dog for a good long time. Still though. Our house had a smell that lasted almost a year.

John Butto

smell of love

I remember being in 2nd grade and walking in the woods around New Egypt, NJ and smelled something that was strange but on the other hand intoxicating. I looked and saw it was a wounded skunk, probably some of Mosh's kin lived in the area, and wraped it in my shirt and proceeded to walk home. Well about a half mile from home my mother met me and started to yammer about a skunk smell and told me to drop that thing and strip all my clothes off right there. She walked me home and she washed me from head to toe with a scrub brush using fels naptha soap. To this day when driving in a car sometimes late at night and smell that aroma of a skunk I still get embrarrassed about the neighbor girl seeing me naked, and by the way, later married. So maybe Mosh's skunk will bring some couple together 20 something years from now.

CentralSigns

yeah right...maybe you, but not an animal! I had my dog outside with me one night while was BBQ'n and I see her take off like Signtech on a rampage into the dark. I had a sneaky suspicion what she was after and next thing I know I hear her start yelping and come bolting back trying to wipe her eyes the whole way. She got back by me and and her whole front half was dripping wet from Skunk spray. Needless to say she stuck to high Heaven.

Well I bathed her everyday for a week in Tomato paste, among other concoctions, and nothing worked. She literally lived in the garage for a month before we could let her back inside!

Good luck with the smell Mosh!!

If you want to get the smell out just, mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and rub over the smelly spots, works right away.

mark galoob

:iamwithstupid

you know, i see a lot thumbs up with this thread...but the reality is, mosh mixed beer and guns together.

mark galoob