• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Slowdown????

TimToad

Everyones got their hand out for something and somehow justify being entitled to it for some reason or another. Its everything, tax loopholes, tax credits, subsidies, disability, federal backed loans, flood insurance, welfare etc etc. A million sad stories and special interest groups ensure money is doled out in excess. Its packaged up with a fancy name and sold to us in a way that anyone that speaks against it looks like a bad person. Its only “welfare” when someone else gets it. Politicians make sure they keep you mad at the poor and welfare system so you ignore the other billions they pass around to those that keep the campaign coffers full.

Advocates for the poor and downtrodden don't show up in Washington DC in $2,500 suits prepared to wine and dine their representatives in order to get the crumbs we call "welfare".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what do you call the homeless camps and villages that are springing up in Californy ?? While you have a nice income because of Hollywood and a long growing season, financed on the backs of illegals, how do you explain your hopeless and helpless people all over the place ?? How much money is taxed for this ?? You get way more money, but your situation is not going away. It's actually getting worse, as you try to fix it.

Here's an idea....... instead of all you Californy people moving outta the country, just secede and become your own country and you won't need the rest of us. Oh wait, you already threatened to do that, but when the rest of the country said go ahead, you backpedaled outta that one, too. So, maybe all those people who promised to move will just move ?? I can hope, can't I ??

equippaint

So, what do you call the homeless camps and villages that are springing up in Californy ?? While you have a nice income because of Hollywood and a long growing season, financed on the backs of illegals, how do you explain your hopeless and helpless people all over the place ?? How much money is taxed for this ?? You get way more money, but your situation is not going away. It's actually getting worse, as you try to fix it.

Here's an idea....... instead of all you Californy people moving outta the country, just secede and become your own country and you won't need the rest of us. Oh wait, you already threatened to do that, but when the rest of the country said go ahead, you backpedaled outta that one, too. So, maybe all those people who promised to move will just move ?? I can hope, can't I ??
I feel bad for many of the homeless, often times its a series of bad events or even other issues out of ones ability to control from health issues to shear stupidity/lack of intelligence but a large amount of it is not. I am not against helping them whatsoever and think that it should remain a priority for the good of them and our community. With that said, is homelessness actually exponentially growing or are certain cities attracting them to migrate in from other areas with their continual pandering? Sometimes tough love is the best remedy and the cities need to stop tolerating it as much as they do. It's a classic welfare argument, if you give people too much they will not do for themselves. It is not true in every case but it is for many.

HulkSmash

The last couple years and first five months of this year have been above average. This month is a little soft, but with school letting out, vacations starting, two holidays sandwiched on each end of the month, it usually is slightly slower.

The one thing we have noticed in the last 6-9 months more than at any other time in the last five years is the additional efforts we've had to expend to collect on outstanding invoices, which is typically a sign of the economy softening a bit.

It is obvious that you can't add over a TRILLION or more to the debt every year, set records for deficit spending, start trade wars with nearly every trading partner we rely on, throw another $70 Billion annually at the military/industrial complex, etc.. while offering average working class folks little other than token wage gains and not have it affect the underlying health of the economy. True inflation is way higher than the pundits are reporting as well as ignoring the fact that most of the job growth has been in part-time, low wage jobs not offering benefits to help offset rising healthcare, education and housing costs.
MURICA! Trump 2020!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I feel bad for them, too. I think we ALL feel bad for them, but the vast majority of them are people who should have help with their mental capicity, not living conditions. The next group is the drug addicts and the last ones who really need the help are just lost in the shuffle, as their numbers don't seem to matter. The tough love approach is just what they need, but because of politics, that will never happen. It's happening in just about all the major cities and no one does a thing to really help the problem, but just put a bandaid on all of it and hope the next group of people will do something. Ain't my yob !!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
As the President is under Putin's sway I have no choice but to blame the Russians for this terrible economy.
Actually the Military Industrial Complex is ramping up around here and soon Fortress Guam (WWII ref) will be back in business. Lots of military construction and infrastructure upgrades going on here. Lots of bids for vehicle support that we get small pieces of through the dealers. There are so many white Ford trucks on the roads it is not even funny (our shop truck is a white F150). Marines are still relocating here from Okinawa (I think). I just hope I don't expire from old age before they show up. Shop is struggling but there are opportunities to be had. Think I may start leaning Korean in case things go south (or really far north).

rjssigns

Was a tad slow the beginning of the year, but that was fine. I wanted to finish school, get my new printer/software and start the learning curve that comes with new equipment.

I thought yacht transoms had tapered off after the last two years. Nope. Came back strong as ever along with personal watercraft.

Just finished up a job for a contractor. Five trucks and an equipment trailer.

New printer is a beast. Only used the TUR once, then realized it's something I should have had all along.

billsines

Our realtor clients are describing a tightening market and while mostly anecdotal, we've noticed most houses are taking a bit longer to sell out here. We get housing market newsletters from several of them and they are all pointing to a softening of the market and longer days on market on average, so there must be something to what we're seeing.

We're located next door to one of the largest RV dealerships in the region and we constantly wonder how they pay the rent. We're here all day and simply don't see that many units new or used moving in and out on a regular basis.

I guess we're back to the Reagan era where if you don't cheer for everything being done in our names, you must be a traitor to the "good news only" crowd.

Do you know how those RVs get delivered? One at a time, being towed by a big fat gas hog pickup truck. One. At. A. Time. Why not put those things on a train?

dypinc

During the depths of the 2008-2009 collapse, people were giving houses away in Phoenix to stop the bleeding. If the right wing succeeds in slashing Social Security and Medicare as they are attempting to do, I'd hate to be in a state with a substantial percentage of its population being older retirees, many of whom will be crushed by the increases in healthcare costs and living expenses if their SS benefit is trimmed much.

After the 2018 elections things were bound to slow down just like they did after the 2008 elections. Business does not trust that party in power in the house, but since our current president is so much better than the one in 2008 I don't think it will have as much effect as it did back then. I haven't seen confidence drop much here. If he is not re-elected/stollen by fraud then I think we will see huge downturn. In the next year decisions may have to be made based on that possibility which probably will slow the economy down, especially with the commie propaganda machine cranking out their lies.

equippaint

Do you know how those RVs get delivered? One at a time, being towed by a big fat gas hog pickup truck. One. At. A. Time. Why not put those things on a train?
Its logistically cheaper and easier this way since they go to different dealers. Theyre probably sold FOB Elkhardt In and dealers arrange their own pickup too. Our neighbors ship out boats the same way

Stacey K

I like making signs
I started the year off with some larger jobs but by the time we got artwork approved and everything completed, it was March. I was then so swamped I didn't know which way to turn. Things have been steady since but I'm able to keep up pretty well. I had a little difficulty collecting a couple bills from new businesses but they paid. Hopefully things continue to be steady. During the winter I make wood signs (Board and Brush stuff) and sell them at craft shows and hold classes in my shop - that added extra cash in my pocket so I plan to do the same next fall/winter if things slow down. It's something I can do spur of the moment so it works well. My mom and sister join in and it's a fun side gig for weekends.

Johnny Best

I don't know about you people, but that Chicken Little crap Toad was serving up yesterday made me nauseous.
No wonder he got out of the restaurant business.
chicken little.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure which of us you are referring to, but I am most assuredly the owner of our company, risked all my own capital to buy a failing business, turn it into a satisfactorily profitable business, employ people, make a payroll every week and pay my fair share of taxes. My profile isn't blocked, so I assume you were referring to WhatsYourSign?.

I'm not sure any of us are "more" qualified to offer an opinion on the state of the economy than the average person or even employee. We all have eyes, ears and can read.

From where I sit, there are some troublesome aspects of the current economy and I'm not alone in thinking so. Plenty of economists and financial experts weigh the finer points of the economy on a daily basis. A few people reflexively adding in their geographical and ideological biases in the face of the complexity of what the more learned experts out there believe doesn't add much to the discussion or make it any easier to consider the facts and evidence.

Our friend in AZ may truly believe that his state is in great shape economically and for him it might be, but there are fundamental weaknesses that will cross all geographical borders when things turn down. And they always turn down. During the depths of the 2008-2009 collapse, people were giving houses away in Phoenix to stop the bleeding. If the right wing succeeds in slashing Social Security and Medicare as they are attempting to do, I'd hate to be in a state with a substantial percentage of its population being older retirees, many of whom will be crushed by the increases in healthcare costs and living expenses if their SS benefit is trimmed much

Ahh..... it is blocked, unless you UNblocked it since last night. Why do you say these things that are so untrue all the time ?? It must be that chicken little syndrome.

TimToad

I feel bad for many of the homeless, often times its a series of bad events or even other issues out of ones ability to control from health issues to shear stupidity/lack of intelligence but a large amount of it is not. I am not against helping them whatsoever and think that it should remain a priority for the good of them and our community. With that said, is homelessness actually exponentially growing or are certain cities attracting them to migrate in from other areas with their continual pandering? Sometimes tough love is the best remedy and the cities need to stop tolerating it as much as they do. It's a classic welfare argument, if you give people too much they will not do for themselves. It is not true in every case but it is for many.

With close to 50% of the population unable to cover an unexpected bill over $500 without triggering financial duress, a million bankruptcies annually caused by medical bills, death of a spouse, loss of a family wage job, etc... I completely reject the entirely Victorian, neoconservative, biblically based argument that people bring crisis upon themselves and that they are 100% in control of their own destiny.

Homelessness as well as poverty and food insecurity is increasing despite record low unemployment because the 2008-2009 housing crisis forced millions of hard working Americans from their homes and converted them into permanent renters, while the investment class turned to becoming landlords to take advantage of that opportunity. Inflation in housing, healthcare, transportation and food costs are being routinely ignored by most. If factored in, real wages for the working classes have not kept pace for close to a decade or longer.

Tough love sounds great until it's one of us on the receiving end. Prison, jail and emergency room visits cost far more than getting to the root causes.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Only a complete dick would pull a sick joke like this knowing that my dad "croaked" last week. Bravo! you've reached yet another new low.
Always making up negativity and pulling stuff out of thin air.... Croaking is the noise toads make... you are making noise...

If I was referring to death...the proper term is CROAKED

TimToad

Always making up negativity and pulling stuff out of thin air.... Croaking is the noise toads make... you are making noise...

Got it...... Everyone else including you is posting their opinions and are free to do so without any interference, mocking or insults, but because you and the two other assholes who have a hard on for me can and should be free to get away with it because of what legitimate reason again? Crickets........

Pathetically hypocritical and flies in the face of all the rhetoric spouted here about displaying some mutual respect for each other, as well as the spirit of camaraderie. A site full of threads where strict guidelines for behavior are expected, but get one of you in the only unmoderated thread and its go time.

Not a one of you has refuted one single fact about the underlying red flags present in the economy.

Disagreeing with people's opinions is fine, using space to get personal digs in has no place in a site meant to encourage collegiality. Skip past posts that trigger your inner toddler and grow the phuck up.